Volvo vs. Cummins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chester613

I have a question for everyone out there. If you had a choice as follows:
2 boats, exactly the same, both in price and appearance.
1 boat had a Cummins
1 boat had a Volvo

That was the only difference. Which one would you buy?

Chester

I think there was another recent thread discussing the same question...

-Chris

Cummins! Way better parts availability and support.

Volvo has punked anybody with older engines with diminishing/non existent parts availability. What parts are available are EXPENSIVE.

My Volvo MD2030 is really a Perkins in disguise. My engine has been nothing but reliable and easy to work on; but I would not purchase a NEW Volvo for some of the reasons cited above.

Can you tell us the Volvo model?

dittto + 5

Cummins! Way better parts availability and support.

Volvo has punked anybody with older engines with diminishing/non existent parts availability. What parts are available are EXPENSIVE.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

It does depend on what model when it comes to Volvo, I find their larger more commercial versions are very good, but as others have said parts and service area's are not in the same ball park as Cummin's.
Like:
Cummins 6B (mechanical)
Volvo 63
Dislike:
Cummins 4B
Volvo 41

Cummins hands down as Volvo has the worst customer service in the industry. If you need parts for an engine that Volvo no longer produces you are SOL. If you luck out and find the part, you will pay triple the price of Cummins or Cat.

Some of this comes down to age. Back in the 80's and even 70's, Volvo made lots of engines installed in trawlers, etc. Cummins at the time was making the v-block 504, 555, etc. Not the greatest engines, and not supported now, either. The B and C Cummins came out in the mid 80's, and they certainly had their share of trouble. Especially the higher hp B's. They were pretty good at sorting the problems, but it still took a while for the Cummins to get popular in the market. Meanwhile, lots of Volvos were being sold.

In the mid 90's, Cummins came out with the B 370hp and we all joked that this thing was going to be an absolute firecracker. But it was not. The dang thing held up, and now is the gold standard for planing type boats. Still available now as a reman, basically unchanged over nearly 20 years.

The B210 is basically unchanged from the troublesome early 250hp in the 80's, but at its lower rating, it holds up wonderfully. The market realized this and again starting in the mid 90's, it became the gold standard for trawler engines.

The point of all this is that many of the Volvos we like to complain about, and with validity, tend to be quite old.

The Cummins we are so fond of tend to be newer. The old ones were trouble and most are long gone.

I do think the Cummins has a more simple, serviceable and robust cooling system, which is the weak spot on marine diesels- all of them. And the Volvo parts prices are nuts.

So the bottom line still is the rec's go for Cummins. But Volvo did and does make some fine machines. None is perfect.

Ski, quit using logic and get with the program. Everyone knows that Volvos suck! Say it out loud a few times. You'll get used to it. Time to join the team for the big win.

I have a buddy with Cummins "triple nickels" the same year as my Volvos. He can still get parts for his old engines while I cannot. Don't know why, but aftermarket builders have no interest in Volvos.

Ski, quit using logic and get with the program. Everyone knows that Volvos suck! Say it out loud a few times. You'll get used to it. Time to join the team for the big win.

I almost always get a concerned look whenever I mention to a knowledgeable skipper that my trawler is powered by a Volvo--I quickly explain it really is a Perkins (even has a Perkins decal) and can use M30 parts.

A tow boat captain came along side one afternoon to share some compliments about my boat. After I gave him all the details/history he quipped "you were doing fine until you said it had a Volvo!" :facepalm:

I've had to order parts and they were almost comically high (e.g., raw water pump and tachometer).

Nevertheless, the MD20xx Volvo diesels were good, reliable engines that can be found on many sailboats and trawlers. I do love mine and value its realiability, but it wouldn't have been my first choice!

Last edited:
Vashon- Pretty sure your MD2030 is not only not a Volvo, it is not a Perkins either. Really a Shibaura 753. You are lucky, you can get lots of parts from tractor places.

volvo

What a timely thread. I want to move up to a raised pilothouse so I always watch YW for what's new on the market that might fit the budget and other requirements. I'm sure that I am not the only one that has seen the Sea ranger 47 " ZIG ZAG" for sale. It looked pretty good on paper but I wondered if the TMD 40 motors are the reason it's been on the market for so long.

A friend of mine has volvos and I agree with those here that parts are hard to find and expensive. i.e. raw water impeller-Volvo $280, Cummins $38. When search for a trawler, I immediatly rejected a boat with volvos and ended up with Cats...

Vashon- Pretty sure your MD2030 is not only not a Volvo, it is not a Perkins either. Really a Shibaura 753. You are lucky, you can get lots of parts from tractor places.

You did your homework, Ski! Yes, you are most correct: Ishikawajima Shibaura Machinery from what I found on the net. I wonder if I'll find a Shibaura decal if I peel off the rest of the Volvo decal and then peel off the Perkins decal! :)

Common parts are far less expensive if I get them for the Perkins Perama M30. Oil filters, for example, are almost one-third the price as compared to "Volvo" brand.

I have had both Volvo and Cummings, If all things on the two boats were equal it is Cummings hands down for me.

You did your homework, Ski! Yes, you are most correct: Ishikawajima Shibaura Machinery from what I found on the net. I wonder if I'll find a Shibaura decal if I peel off the rest of the Volvo decal and then peel off the Perkins decal! :)

Common parts are far less expensive if I get them for the Perkins Perama M30. Oil filters, for example, are almost one-third the price as compared to "Volvo" brand.

My D2-75 says Shibaura right on it.

A friend had 1980 TAMD 40 somethings in his Phoenix. When he started up in the morning, a third of the marina disappeared in blue smoke. :)

Cummins.

Now if you included John Deere, this informal pole might not be so lopsided.

Ted

Wonder what's the opinion of Swedish boaters.

And you guys think Volvo parts are expensive?
When searching for a new boat some years ago, any boat offered with Cummins or Cat had a big minus to them. They are perceived over here to come with astronomically high parts costs. Parts are also much harder to come by locally.

It seems like not even modern engine will live forever. I am close to a SAR / tow vessels operation. I have seen MAN, Yanmar, Volvo, Cummins… fail one after another. A heap of problems caused by vibration, both turbos (literally) breaking apart after 100hrs, coolers being eaten up, wear-and-tear, electronic control putting engines in low-power-mode for no apparent reason. Any problem you can’t even dream of. Most engines in the size/HP range we are using in our trawlers seems to be at end of life in this operation at 4 – 5.000 hrs

Do low-intensity diesel engines, naturally aspirated, without turbos, and mechanically controlled, have longer lives?

>Do low-intensity diesel engines, naturally aspirated, without turbos, and mechanically controlled, have longer lives?<

Gardner enthusiasts seems to think so, and not many folks prefer the lower rated DD for extreme service life.

1 hp from 3 cubic inches of displacement seems pretty safe for long term cruising..

Do low-intensity diesel engines, naturally aspirated, without turbos, and mechanically controlled, have longer lives?

Good leading question.

The real answer is nobody in a commercial application would buy one without all those horsepower and improved bsfc add ons. By the sixties turbos and JWAC were standard issue on trucks, loaders, dozers and the plethora of other equipment out here seeing heavy duty work.

Today's big diesels loaded with electronics to match their turbos and after coolers are yielding much improved HP to weight, longevity and efficiency.

The cost effectiveness of the past nearly one hundred years of Diesel engine progress is stunning big (ship size) and small (auto size).

Just ask Mark why he didn't put a 40 year old Lehman in his Coot.

Funny...asked this question my old boss who is the lead mechanic on a fleet of over 20 vessels ranging in smaller crewboats (up to 46 feet) to small (up to 42 feet) pusher tugs. He also had a fleet of assistance towboats in there till he sold them off.

He thought Volvos weren't any worse than the other's in his fleet that included John Deeres, Cats, and DDs (those 4 in his fleet I know of)....including parts and prices.

He has a very good relationship with a local large diesel shop who is a distributer for Volvo's, so after buying some of them for new installs, maybe he get's a better deal.

I was surprised...I wonder how many Volvo horror stories are third hand and why there are horror stories for other engines that don't get the press for some reason.

Lowest HP for a particular series (Cummins 220 HP for the 6BT) will almost always have the best life / lowest repairs. Turbos and electronic injection have become so refined that they are generally not an issue. Secret to making a turbo last is change the oil regularly. The 6BT in my pickup has 375K miles on it and the original turbo runs like the day I bought it.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom