Rainha Jannota is finally home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Rainha Jannota is finally home

After 917 nautical miles and 4 days and 10 hours, Rainha Jannota is now tied up in Marina de Aratu in Salvador Bahia.
With a small one night stopover in Rio de Janeiro for the 50 hours engine review, and also to load a new second anchor set up, the trip took place in all kinds of weather and sea conditions and passed all navigability tests. The first leg from Ubatuba to Rio took 122 miles coming around Ponta da Joatinga also called the Brazilian Cape Horn. The cross was done doing the night with 25 knts SSE wind and 8’ to 12’ ESE Sea in 6 sec to 8 sec intervals. Rainha was hardly beaten for about 6 hours from 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM.
Leaving Rio in the afternoon of the next day was another nightmare as we found the low tide facing South High waves and wind. 12’ water walls were raised against Rainha’s Bow and I thought we were going to break the boat in several pieces.
Once turning Cabo Frio going north to Cabo San Tome, things smoothed up. The famous challenge in San Tome never materialized as we encountered the sea in calm conditions with barely some wind from SSE. However, suddenly after 9:00 PM, the sea raised quickly while the wind moved from SSE to NE. As long as we traveled in shallow waters 25 miles offshore in well-known fishing grounds, we had to face water in our faces while rallying around boats and fishing nets or long lines set ups.
Early in the morning of the third day and until shutting down the boat’s engines, we had no more problems than administrating fuel consumption.
The trip took 4 days and 10 hours at an average speed of 8.65 knots with a consumption of 4.5 GPH.
In this trip I was not trying to save fuel and we mostly run at 2000 RPM

Attachments

• 2014-10-11 16.48.19.jpg
    2014-10-11 16.48.19.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 277
  • 2014-10-05 06.34.07.jpg
    2014-10-05 06.34.07.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 202
  • PA080122.JPG
    PA080122.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 211
  • PA090138.JPG
    PA090138.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 206
  • PA050104.JPG
    PA050104.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 181
What a sea trial combined with first delivery trip. If she will perform like that, you have a great boat. Thanks for letting us know.:thumb::thumb:

Big Congrats on getting her home! Now you know for sure that you built her right! Must be the envy of the dock sitting prettily in her slip.

All that and Brazil beat Argentina 2-0! It's been a good week down there... (Beatiful boat, BTW)

Holy smokes!! What a trip...talk about baptism by fire! Like the others have said, what an accomplishment. I imagine you might have felt momentary thoughts of terror and doubt during times on a trip like that in an untested boat you just finished building yourself. Now you must be beaming with pride and satisfaction.

Did you have any systems issues or unexpected performance problems? Was the ride as smooth and dry as you expected? How did she handle in the rough waters? Were following seas an issue?

(sorry for so many questions.)

Thanks so much for keeping us updated.

Bravo!!!

Al

As a matter of fact I thought about turning back when leaving Rio. I just didn't do it because there was still 800 milles to go and it I waaited, I would get it worse and longer later down the road

Good looking boat

Glad things went well. Do you think you will need stabilizers or additional ballast.

Congratulations! What a beautiful boat.

Amazing to watch the build, then the launch and trip! You must be a great inspiration to the other boat builders on this site.

Scary Said

Good looking boat
Glad things went well. Do you think you will need stabilizers or additional ballast.

Good question. Actually no, I do not need adittional balast or stabilizers. When the wind blows sideways or the waves are from the smae nature, the boat goes in and comes back realy quick and then stops for a while. I think that the fin keels do the job just right.

Sweet let the journey continue. For a long long time

I just saw your post today, I was in Sint Maaten and conected few times.
Congratulations, you are the guy.

Did you ever get your door locks replaced?

Back
Top Bottom