You have been thanked!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavidM

Valued Technical Contributor
The "You have been thanked" feature is trite and overused. I believe that a public "attaboy", "right-on", "thumbs up" or similar, posted to the same thread as the thanked post would be more meaningful and a lot easier for the recipient than the use of the thank button.

I have never thanked someone privately using the thank button. I know that it is easy to use, takes just a second and in almost all cases the recipient appreciates it, at least I do when I get them.

But it is a PITA for the recipient. Here is how it works: You get a Message Notification in the upper right hand corner of the page when you are on Trawler Forum. If you are not on the forum and even if you do read it immediately (which turns off the notification) you get an email saying that you have been thanked and it gives a link to the relevant posting.

To read the thanked message, which in almost every case contains nothing personal from the thanker, you go into the private message section, click on the message, read it, and then go back to the forum. It takes about 10 seconds, maybe double that to read the accompanying email- not a lot, but this is the internet age so seconds count.

So, my suggestion is: try to post a thank you to the thread that the posting originated in. This has the added benefit of telling other readers that you consider the posting good. Or at the very least when you hit the thank button, write something personal such as why you liked it.

David

The "You have been thanked" feature is trite and overused. I believe that a public "attaboy", "right-on", "thumbs up" or similar, posted to the same thread as the thanked post would be more meaningful and a lot easier for the recipient than the use of the thank button.

I have never thanked someone privately using the thank button. I know that it is easy to use, takes just a second and in almost all cases the recipient appreciates it, at least I do when I get them.

But it is a PITA for the recipient. Here is how it works: You get a Message Notification in the upper right hand corner of the page when you are on Trawler Forum. If you are not on the forum and even if you do read it immediately (which turns off the notification) you get an email saying that you have been thanked and it gives a link to the relevant posting.

To read the thanked message, which in almost every case contains nothing personal from the thanker, you go into the private message section, click on the message, read it, and then go back to the forum. It takes about 10 seconds, maybe double that to read the accompanying email- not a lot, but this is the internet age so seconds count.

So, my suggestion is: try to post a thank you to the thread that the posting originated in. This has the added benefit of telling other readers that you consider the posting good. Or at the very least when you hit the thank button, write something personal such as why you liked it.

David

:Thanx: :iagree:

I use the App 95% of the time so I don't even see them.

:iagree:

:thumb:

It also leads to all sorts of junk mail and spammers that piggyback along into my email. PB&MY is really bad in this respect.

Why don't you just send the TF Mail to spam? That's what I do and never get one email from TF.

I get quite a few of them that contain info that others may find less than flattering when they thank me for posting what others wouldn't.

So for some of the more quiet or polite types it seems useful.

Personally, I think the thanks button misses the point entirely, and should be replaced with an actual LIKE button (as in Facebook) or FAVORITE button (as in twitter).

I almost never want to privately thank someone for making a post. I want to publicly agree with their post without a "me too", ":iagree:, "+1" or other such useless reply. In long threads, I may want to do it to more than one post as well.

I get quite a few of them that contain info that others may find less than flattering when they thank me for posting what others wouldn't.

So for some of the more quiet or polite types it seems useful.
This is valuable, but can still be achieved with private messages.

So it makes it easier for people...links in the specific post they are talking about...and gives the sender the option of privacy if it's desired.

If you want to directly post an "I agree", "thank you", or anything else for that matter if you want everyone to see it...then just go ahead....

So it makes it easier for people...links in the specific post they are talking about.
Not following.... if I like a post (or comment) on Facebook, the like is directly tied to that content. Similarly, if I favorite a tweet.

The Thanks button is once per thread too. So if someone else makes a fantastic point -- maybe even better than the original thanked post -- so sorry. Too bad.

If you want to directly post an "I agree", "thank you", or anything else for that matter if you want everyone to see it...then just go ahead....
Sure, because that's the only option currently. But I don't think it's the best option. These posts clutter the conversation, and make the thread more difficult to navigate or catch up on.

I belong to a bunch of forums, email distribution lists, and Facebook groups. The easiest UI to navigate, participate in, and comment is Facebook. By far.

Not following.... if I like a post (or comment) on Facebook, the like is directly tied to that content. Similarly, if I favorite a tweet.

The Thanks button is once per thread too. So if someone else makes a fantastic point -- maybe even better than the original thanked post -- so sorry. Too bad.

Sure, because that's the only option currently. But I don't think it's the best option. These posts clutter the conversation, and make the thread more difficult to navigate or catch up on.

I belong to a bunch of forums, email distribution lists, and Facebook groups. The easiest UI to navigate, participate in, and comment is Facebook. By far.

Ya got me...I know nothing or very little about Facebook....

Ya got me...I know nothing or very little about Facebook....

Facebook seems to be a place for loose cannons to expound all kinds of social and political issues. More recently, they have stuffed it with worthless ads.

I like Facebook to see what my kids are up to...other than that...couldn't tell you a thing.

But it seems like I avoided another fad like so many as I hear more and more of my friends pulling back from it.

Equally useful would be a button with the opposite meaning. Several suggestions for what to all it come to mind .

Facebook has problems, no doubt. The content on it being just one of them. And I wasn't suggesting that TF truly become Facebook.

I just think that one thing that you can't deny is that Facebook is very good at engaging it's users, and I think some of their techniques should be incorporated.

I like the "you have been thanked" but most don't say much.

I also like the like button like FB idea. How-a-bout a boo button too. I'd get boo'd I'm sure and maybe I'd know better when to shut up. But I do like getting thanked. What are the chances of getting a like and boo button?

I like the "you have been thanked" but most don't say much.

I also like the like button like FB idea. How-a-bout a boo button too. I'd get boo'd I'm sure and maybe I'd know better when to shut up. But I do like getting thanked. What are the chances of getting a like and boo button?

My mail box is already full. I'd have to clean it out regularly if there were a "Boo" button...

I think the only button we may be missing is the "Yawn" button (or smilie) to push when a poster's contribution is predictably negative, if you know what I mean.

I think the only button we may be missing is the "Yawn" button (or smilie) to push when a poster's contribution is predictably negative, if you know what I mean.

That's what the ignore feature is for :)

Only used it once, and it's still working to my satisfaction :thumb:

Last edited:
tumblr_lidl3zAuT11qafrh6.gif

You have all been thanked. :)

.....waiting for the FU button.

I have received 4 thanks so far since posting this thread 10 hours ago. All with none or meaningless comments. I guess that proves my point that the thank button is worthless or that TF members are childish. Probably both.

David

I have received 4 thanks so far since posting this thread 10 hours ago. All with none or meaningless comments. I guess that proves my point that the thank button is worthless or that TF members are childish. Probably both.

David

I wish I could thank you again for this post, but alas....

"TF members are childish..."

You know me too well!

David

Jeeez, David, did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning..?
:D
Just kidding, but ok…we get the message. What about if I take it higher up re adding a 'like' button, rather than removing the thanks button. There are times when that is nice - whenever I have received one of those there is usually a comment added as to why, which is good, and I would encourage any who use the 'thanks' button to add something personal. However, a 'like' button would probably satisfy those who would like to make a favouable comment, but don't feel inclined to enlarge on it. I am pretty sure we would pass on the 'boo' or 'yawn' button idea however…

I can't make any promises - not sure how difficult it would be. Watch this space...

What's the big deal? Effort to revise isn't worth it. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom