30' Californian sedan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelweiss

Guru
Vessel Make
1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
There was a rather rare 1979 30' Californian sedan at the Anacortes boat show yesterday. I haven't seen this one before. Look like it had significant engine and running gear upgrades and tankage.

Price was 29 1/2 boat dollars! :whistling:

Attachments

• Cal 30- 1.jpg
    Cal 30- 1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Cal 30- 2.jpg
    Cal 30- 2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 265
  • Cal 30- 3.jpg
    Cal 30- 3.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
That's a good looking boat. IMO, they're even better looking without the FB.

I'm curious if it will plane with that 155HP Cummins.

I had the same question. Seemed a little under powered for a 30' boat. My 28' was twin gas and a total of 260 hp. It was probably a little lighter and didn't exactly jump out of the water either. But I'm not familiar with that hull and model, so don't know what engine they came with from the factory. I never saw the owner around to ask and I certainly didn't want to attract the attention of a salesman!! :eek:

I know what you mean about the saleman's attention.

Here's a thread where we discussed the 30 a couple of years ago that I just re-read.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s24/californian-30-a-5346.html

ERJPilot claimed 9 kts WOT with a 130hp Perkins, LivingTheDream claimed 13 kts WOT with the same Perkins natural 6.354 and a Yachtworld ad for one with a Cat 3208 natural 210 hp claimed 12 Kts WOT. Either way, I figure they're all 7-8 kt boats at cruise power.

The beam on that boat is 10' 3"...almost trailerable without a flybridge! That could be a lot of fun with the right trailer, tow vehicle and permits. And with a keel-protected prop and a draft of 2' 2", it'll go just about anywhere. I'd love to see the bottom of that boat.

Californian 30 Specs

ERJ pilot, got any pics of your boat's bottom to show us?

I agree these are beautiful boats especially without the upper helm.
I think they can only be found on the west coast?
Bill

Here's the only picture I have from when the boat was out of the water with the previous owner. It's due for some bottom paint so I'll end up with some more pictures but this is it for now.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1413001484.259200.jpg

Thanks, ERJ! Are you living on that boat in DC?

That car is exactly where I was hoping to look. :banghead: Hope you can get some good shots of the keel and prop when she's hauled. Looks semi-planing like the 34. Maybe with enough power, she'd plane!!

Thanks, ERJ! Are you living on that boat in DC?

That car is exactly where I was hoping to look. :banghead: Hope you can get some good shots of the keel and prop when she's hauled. Looks semi-planing like the 34. Maybe with enough power, she'd plane!!

I'm still living on the boat in Texas, officially. However I feel like I live at the crashpad in Newark, yuck...

I'm sure it was quick before, it originally had a turbocharger on it and there were trim tabs at one time, so I assume it would scoot.

That's a good looking boat. IMO, they're even better looking without the FB.

I'm curious if it will plane with that 155HP Cummins.
Al, The 30 Californian you have linked (without the fly bridge) has been for sale for at least 3 years. I think it looks fantastic and is well appointed for cruising. I was never able to locate one in the Mid-West or the East Coast. Even serious inquires to the PNW broker yielded no responses. That's my idea of the perfect Sedan Trawler although I was never able to locate one for sale on the East coast. I figured the boat could be transported without the fly bridge..........
Bill

New Cal 30

Thanks so much to Edelwiess and Flywright for posting anything on the 'Little Californian'. Relieved to find info on Cal 30's after searching 4 months.
I'm the new skipper of the 30 that lived in Portland, now berthed in Ballard Wa.

I Would like to contact the Jules to gather build history on the 30, and post in a new Cal 30 thread. Trying to find the Author of the post that described a phone call with them, about the building the first 34's. Does anyone have a contact for the Jule's ?

And, If Al (site team) will point me in the right direction, I'l post a fair bit of general info on the 30 for all to enjoy. I'm new to the forum and unsure how to break down and present, picts, specs, performance. (like how to insert a nice pict, attached)

David M.

Attachments

• Blue Max.jpg
    Blue Max.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 147
David, Welcome to the good ship, TF! Here's a link to some tips on posting and customizing your account to your preferences. Lemme know by private message (PM) if you need further help with posting.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s22/set-up-your-account-|-help-tips-etc-5739.html

I'm the guy who spoke with Gil and Jule Marshall several years ago when I was researching my hull history. This was during the period that Gil was running Navigator Yachts and his Dad, Jule, was still coming into the office every day in his 80s. Since that time, Gil sold Navigator and I have no contact info on them. Perhaps a call to the present owners can provide you with some information.

Tell us more about your 30. Is it called an LRC? I'm very interested in performance, specs and fuel burn. How much fuel, water and holding tank capacity? Pics are always appreciated. How's your ER space? Does it run from the steps to the transom? Do you have an accurate weight on the vessel?

I think you've got the makings of a near-perfect trailer-trawler. She sure looks purty!

Welcome David, always nice to meet a new Californian owner.

Much of the credit for the information provided here really belongs to Al (FlyWright). He's done most of the leg work.

Indeed the 30' is a pretty rare model. I've seen three of them in the 40 years since I bought my Californian. No idea how many were made. There was one 30' flybridge model at the Anacortes, Wa boat show last year. I think there are pictures somewhere here in the Californian threads. (ps: Actually the pics are in this thread. I posted them 2 years ago. Time flies when you're having fun. :whistling: )

Also if you haven't already noticed it, in the pinned Californian resource posts, is one thread titled "42' Californian owners manual" It appears to be more or less a generic owners manual covering all the Californian models at the time it was published. It contains references and schematics for the 30', 34', 38', and 42' models. There are some specific references to the 30' in the literature.

Best of Luck

Last edited:
We had a 30' Cal in LaConner's No. Harbor.
Don't remember if it had a FB.

As to it's planing it should. Every one I've seen has little deadrise and a very straight run. It would depend heavily on weight. Light enough w the engine not too far aft and planing should be in the bag.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom