Looking to purchase a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkohler4

Well it is finally within my reach. After working four jobs, seven days a week I am ready to purchase a trawler. I am looking at a1990 47 Tradewinds Marine Trader with two Cummings. I am new to this forum and any help suggestions and advice is welcome.

Well it is finally within my reach. After working four jobs, seven days a week I am ready to purchase a trawler. I am looking at a1990 47 Tradewinds Marine Trader with two Cummings. I am new to this forum and any help suggestions and advice is welcome.

I aplaud your hard work, and best of luck on your search!

Remember that any 25 year old boat's condition is going to be much more based on the maintenance it has received than the shop that built it originally.

I love your determination! Good job. Well first thing I noticed is your statement "...I am ready to purchase a Trawler". I am not familiar with a Tradewinds Marine Trader, but you can research on this site there has been a lot of conversation on what constitutes a Trawler and what is not a Trawler. A true Trawler is a full displacement hull. Boat makers will call simi-displacement hulls Trawlers, but they are not in the truest form of the statement. A true Trawler is the most economical hull and most "Blue Water" boats are full displacement hulls. that is how they get a 3000 mile range out of 1000 gal. of fuel.
But if you are not looking for a true "Blue water" boat and I assume you have researched what boat you are looking for, then you get down to Kevin's statement, the condition of the boat. Don't just rely on the survey to tell you everything. If you don't know the systems, engines, and hardware, find a friend or hire someone to climb through the boat with you using the survey and pull up every hatch and look through every cubby hole you can find. If you can go with the surveyor great, Look at everything, take nothing for granted. Don't assume everything works, see it work with your own eyes. You have worked too long and to hard to make a mistake at this point. Good luck............

Looking to Purchase

Welcome, fellow newbie. How about this, just install a bow thruster and docking will be a cinch!

Attachments

• 102_5160.jpg
    102_5160.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 148
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. OK. Why a "trawler"? (I'm playing the devil's advocate a bit here.) Or maybe I should ask "What do you want to do with the boat and what do you want the boat to do for you?"

@dkohler4:

I'm not familiar with the boat you are inquiring about but I came across this post here on TF and thought it might be of some interest to you:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s10/marine-trader-tradewinds-47-a-12077.html

Welcome aboard

Going Over

After 50 years of sailing, I'm going over to the "dark side." Looking for a trawler, 32-38', preferably single engine with bow thruster, non-teak decks, no generator (propane stove, DC ref rig).

Just starting to look. Can't afford a Nordic Tug 32, which would otherwise be about right.

Ron

After 50 years of sailing, I'm going over to the "dark side." Looking for a trawler, 32-38', preferably single engine with bow thruster, non-teak decks, no generator (propane stove, DC ref rig).

Just starting to look. Can't afford a Nordic Tug 32, which would otherwise be about right.

Ron

Ron,
You may want to check out Sundowner tugs as an alternative to the NT.

Sundowner tugs can be had for less money than most Nordic Tugs. I'd recommend looking at them if you are looking for a tug style boat. What area are you from this can make all the difference in the world of which models are available for your area.
Bill

As a newbie...I am looking forward to spending time and going through many of the older posts...Thank you all in advance for sharing of yourselves and your experiences!

My recommendation is to due your due diligence but don't fret over every little detail. Every year you delay is a year lost.

Back
Top Bottom