Servus und Grüß Gott

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

viper1800

Vessel Make
North Sea Trawler 38
I just joined TF because it is the only one offering real interesting information about trawlers and posts with quality.
I full filled my self a dream last weekend by buying a Trawler. Previously i owned several boats like a Bayliner Ciera and my last one was a danish " fishkutter " made of wood and build in 1936.
Now the trawler is a North Sea Trawler 38.
I tried to find the factory which built this one in 1980 and some technical data but I was not succesful. Hopefully somebody here has info about this and can help.
Sorry for my strange english but I am not a native speaker.
Regards from Gemany
Olli

Last edited:
Welcome aboard and congrats!!:thumb:

I tried to find the factory which built this one in 1980 and some technical data but I was not succesful. Hopefully somebody here has info about this and can help.

Welcome aboard!

More than likely, your boat is a Taiwanese make like a CHB or Marine Trader. Your boat looks like a Fu Hwa as they made 38' models. From your avatar which is very small, it looks similar to mine. But then it looks like many other Taiwanese makes of the 1970s and 1980s.

Here is the link to a North Sea 38' on Yachtworld which claims it was manufactured by Fu Hwa:

1979 North Sea Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Fu Hwa, Chien Hwa and Chung Hwa were part of a three boatyard group owned by Y.F. Lee and they made many boats under numerous names and labels for dealers at that time. My understanding is only Chung Hwa survived and I believe they now makes boats on mainland China.

That really looks like my one, beside somesmall details. I am really wondering how much differnt brand names are existing.
I thought first i have a european or us model, as the boat is equiped with 2 volvo penta (original).
Is there any database where the weight and dims are?
Germany is a little bit complicated to register a boat abvoce certain size.

Is there any database where the weight and dims are?

For these Taiwanese makes, unfortunately there isn't. Most of them didn't even come with manuals to the original buyer except for things like the engine and other common components. Manufacturers shared drawings, molds and probably even labor.

Here are another couple of links that might come in handy but they don't address your specific boat:

http://www.baris.net/boats/lf3/pdf/articles/venerable%20taiwanese_trawlers.pdf

CHB BUYERS GUIDE

Did you have a survey performed before you bought the boat? Normally, that would provide you a lot of info on it. Otherwise, you might just search on Yachtworld for 38' trawlers. Your model is normally identified as a DC for Double Cabin.

Yes, I surveyed the boat before I bought. Everything is fine and perfect working. Good thing is, that the previous owner (only one) had no intension to work
by himself at the boat, so weverything what has been done had been done by a proffesional company.
I brought the boat by mayself from Netherland to Germany (600km/370miles) without any issues.
and you are absolutely right, I have all documents from engine, heater and so on but not of the hull.
I thought to find because it also has a hull numer but if not okay. Seems that I get all info I need here.
In Germnany you just need to register the boat and therefore something like a cardoc is needed. This has to be issued from authorized people similar to a notary public and they are charging for that (not to less). That was why I looke for technical specs from producer.

The CHB guide is a damned goot information. THANKS !!!

After reading I am still more confident to bought the right boat:thumb:

The hull number is normally etched in to the upper starboard side of the transom. The lettering is rather small so look hard as it might have been painted over.

Your boat is somewhat unusual for having Volvo engines. 120HP Ford Lehmans and 135HP Perkins are found in the majority of the Taiwanese boats of 34-40 feet in the US. They may have used other engines for the European market or special orders. Old Volvo engines have a bad name here due to the expense of parts in the US.

Hi Olli,
Are you sure your boat is more than 10 tons displacement?
Because if less - you only need 15 minutes to register her as a sport boat. I just did so with my 35 feet trawler in Hamburg.

I just joined TF because it is the only one offering real interesting information about trawlers and posts with quality.
I full filled my self a dream last weekend by buying a Trawler.
Sorry for my strange english but I am not a native speaker.
Regards from Gemany
Olli

Welcome to the forum, and worry not about your English. It is a lot better than our German, I'm sure, and in fact better than the language from some native English speakers on here at times, especially if they have been celebrating Octoberfest a bit.

Which reminds me - our Octoberfest is next weekend I think..?

Welcome aboard.

Where are you and the boat?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom