Reducing glare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I'm thinking of painting the forward-cabin roof a less reflective color.* The superstructure and decks will otherwise be egg-shell white.* Any suggestions?* Currently I'm thinking medium gray.

ry%3D400

That would depend on your hull colour I would think. As per another thread, if you went with say a dark green hull I would think a light yellow/cream coloured non-skid might look quite nice. It might also look nice with other dark hull colours now that I think about it.

Conrad wrote:

That would depend on your hull colour I would think. As per another thread, if you went with say a dark green hull I would think a light yellow/cream coloured non-skid might look quite nice. It might also look nice with other dark hull colours now that I think about it.
Yes, I'm currently thinking to have the hull painted jade mist green: a very deep, dark green.

My favorite color! It's going to*be hot though. Just like the discussions on biminis, the darker the color the more heat it absorbs. Will be really awesome though. My boot stripe is deep green, painted on with Imron.

Mark,My boat is mostly white fwd of the helm and I don't have trouble w glare off the boat but glare off the water is a problem. I hang shirts and other clothing from the top of the windows and alter course just enough to put the glare line a bit to the side of my intended course. The air is so clear here that the sun is very bright (when it comes out). I have photo-grey glasses and I put clip on sun glasses behind my regular glasses. The system works very well.
Any dark color will appear black from even a short distance away. On overcast days this will be much more so. If you want to have a green boat perhaps you should pick a green color that you like and then actually choose a green that's 2 or 3 shades lighter. I'm not a fan of dark colored hulls and one does want to be seen on the water * *...in all weather. GBs sometimes come in tan or a nice soft grey-green that I really like. See the buff (very light tan) on my Willy? I plan to paint the hull the same color eventually. Some light colors give a work boat aura like dark colors but are fairly bright and easy to see. I'm surprised how many compliments I've received on Willy's colors. But then I've seen close up pics of Walts boat and it is truly beautiful.

Attachments

• sth71273.jpg
    sth71273.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 160
markpierce wrote:"I'm currently thinking to have the hull painted jade mist green: a very deep, dark green."
There's a rather large trawler in my marina with a dark green hull and white
topsides* and it's beautiful. I'll see if I can get some photos.

How about San Mateo Wheat (yellowish) or Prairie Beige (brownish) for the cabin roof?

nomadwilly wrote:" I'm surprised how many compliments I've received on Willy's colors. But then I've seen close up pics of Walts boat and it is truly beautiful."
Don't be surprised at the accolades you've received on "Willy" Eric. If my boat had*
the same lines as yours, I 'd copy your paint job and then I wouldn't tell anyone
where I got the idea from.
handshake.gif

markpierce wrote:

I'm thinking of painting the forward-cabin roof a less reflective color.*
We have*light tan non-skid with Hatteras white border.* We don't have any glare.**I wonder if it is result*that the nonskid is a mat or somewhat flatter finish?*

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Paz, BCS, MX*

nomadwilly wrote:

...*I'm not a fan of dark colored hulls and one does want to be seen on the water * *...in all weather. ...
I'm thinking of having the pilothouse roof painted international orange.

nomadwilly wrote:See the buff (very light tan) on my Willy? I plan to paint the hull the same color eventually.
Although I think your plan is a good one, the "secret" to your paint job is the dark color below the toprail and gunnel. Your boat has significant freeboard for her length and that dark color reduces the scale (to the eye) of the actual freeboard to length. Tom Fexas wrote an article some years ago (before passing away) about creating a "false Sheer".
This allowed the NA to have a high freeboard, to creat more space down below, without the boat looking like it had to much freeboard. (scale) Your paint job accomplishes this quite well.

In an attempt to creat more cabin height on my boat, Harvey Halvorsen stepped the sheer (?) to give the boat another 5 or 6 inches of head room down below, thus preserving the scale and look of the boat.

On my boat, freeboard aft was sacrificed for the overall lines of the boat.

Your paint job accomplishes this "look" without any sacrifice in actual freeboard.

Just my opinion & the opinion of many naval architecs.

Walt

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 29th of September 2010 11:28:56 AM

Attachments

• img_2105.jpg
    img_2105.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 115
  • willy.jpg
    willy.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 118
Just added some flattening additive to the same color paint.* So you do not need to change color just flattener.

I'm thinking of having the pilothouse roof painted international orange.

Aviation Safety Yellow is easier to see ,, and will generate far fewer comments.

A good idea is to paint your documentation number in the roof as large as you can , so its easier seen from a chopper .

markpierce wrote:

How about San Mateo Wheat (yellowish) or Prairie Beige (brownish) for the cabin roof?
I think that would be a very sharp combination with a dark green hull. As I recall, Bruce Kessler has that combo on his Spirit of Zopilote and it is an incredible looking boat.

Not sure about the International Orange on the pilothouse roof though...*

Conrad wrote:

Not sure about the International Orange on the pilothouse roof though...*
I like the idea. If you are in need of help. You want to be seen.

Besides it would only be seen from above or if she is listing real bad.

SD

FF wrote:

...* Aviation Safety Yellow is easier to see ,, and will generate far fewer comments. ...
Would that be*be close to*Awlgrip's "Federal Yellow"?*

SeaHorse II wrote:"There's a rather large trawler in my marina with a dark green hull and white
topsides* and it's beautiful! I'll see if I can get some photos."

Attachments

• meander 1.jpg
    meander 1.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 135
  • meander 2.jpg
    meander 2.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 302
Nice!* And the yellow striping and lettering looks great.* Looks much better than the white stripe and lettering I was considering.

The green I'm considering is darker.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 29th of September 2010 02:28:10 PM

markpierce wrote:

Nice!* And the yellow striping and lettering looks great.* Looks much better than the white stripe and lettering I was considering.

The green I'm considering is darker.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 29th of September 2010 02:28:10 PM
I've seen the dark green hulls with gold striping also - looks very elegant.

And another had its transom lettering done in a kind of mauve/purple with yellow shadowing. Sounds odd but looked very striking against the dark green.

Why not just put a coupla cannons on board and shoot commercial grade fireworks every hour....nobody will ever lose track of you....
wink.gif

I think the Hatteras White goes very well with the white and the Jade Mist Green, and it doesn't glare. I've got it on my cabin top.

I just thought of another downside to dark hulls and light cabins. The light color is dominate. It makes things seem larger and on some boats w lots of hull and not much cabin that would be a plus and a manufacturer may be knowing about visual functions such as this and thus present a better product. As I recall most DDs have a large hull and smaller than usual cabins so the the dark hull and light cabin should work well so as to make the hull look not so massive (relatively speaking) and the boat w a light colored cabin should achieve a desirable visual mass proportion. Another thing to consider is what you want to draw attention too. A boat w a clumsy or awkward looking cabin and a beautiful sheer line and otherwise beautiful hull would logically have a bright in your face hull and a dark or visually recessive color like med dark grey on the cabin. The stern of many Ducks are large and boxy and would benefit from neither bright or dark hull. Perhaps a very unnoticeable color like a medium brownish green or a warm greenish grey would make the hull go along for the ride without crashing the party and drawing unnecessary attention to the somewhat ungraceful hull. When choosing colors one must know color combinations that just don't fly together like the mast buff on my cabin side and the yellow dinghy on the cabin top. However Mark has a big responsibility to choose his colors well the world of color is at his feet. When one buys a FB boat they get only the gelcoat choices that the manufacturer puts on the boat * * *....usually white or some variation so as to not put off buyers. But, of course any FG boat owner can paint his boat any color he wants. Have at it Mark.

markpierce wrote:I'm thinking of having the pilothouse roof painted international orange.

Well, if you want a dark hull and an international orange pilothouse here's the combination for you.* This is the RNLI 47' lifeboat "William Street" that I was priviledged to ride on Morecambe Bay (UK) during a training excercise several years ago.* They even let me drive it for a bit.* For a short video of one of this class of lifeboat in action take a look at http://www.rnli.org.uk/what_we_do/lifeboats/current_lifeboats/action_tyne

Attachments

• william-street.jpg
    william-street.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 52
nomadwilly wrote:

...*However Mark has a big responsibility to choose his colors well the world of color is at his feet. When one buys a FB boat they get only the gelcoat choices that the manufacturer puts on the boat * * *....usually white or some variation so as to not put off buyers. But, of course any FG boat owner can paint his boat any color he wants. Have at it Mark.
Am appreciating the feedback.* As of now, the tentative paint scheme includes some of your suggestions:

Hull: jade mist green (very dark green)

Waterline stripe and boat name/port on stern: federal yellow (bright yellow)

Deck, superstructure sides, and saloon roof: egg-shell white

Forward-cabin roof: San Mateo wheat (very light yellow)

Pilothouse roof and roof-edge: federal yellow (bright yellow)

I'll be "sitting" on this for a while before notifying the builder.* Oh, the boat is steel, not fiberglass.* No gelcoat here, so there are lots of color choices.

nomadwilly wrote:

...* *I'm not a fan of dark colored hulls and one does want to be seen on the water ...
While white is easier to see than a dark color, is white that good a color if one wants to be seen at*a distance out in fresh and higher winds with whitecaps all about?* But*Eric's yellow dinghy on the roof*is a good idea.

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 3rd of October 2010 04:47:49 PM

markpierce,Eric's yellow dinghy is a bad idea color wise. It was fine till I painted the cabin sides mast buff w a very slight redish tint. The yellow and the buff DO NOT go together. The yellow dink will be repainted or replaced. Already have a rubber duckie to replace it. ARUG. Instead of white w your green how about cream or another soft earthy color. Be careful of green and yellow * * ....don't want to look like a John Deer tractor. I remember a guy that picked those colors for a kayak and I'll bet he had to give it away when it came time to sell. The yellow dink is handy when I tell someone where my boat is * * *..."it's the one w the yellow dink on top". Try not to use a green darker than the big yacht Walt posted a Picture of. From even a short distance away the dark colors seem to look black.

nomadwilly wrote:

markpierce,
Eric's yellow dinghy is a bad idea color wise. ...
Well, I'm sorry to disagree,* Eric.* And if I was a thousand miles north of here, I'd seriously think of taking that dink off your hands, expecting a high discount since you disdain it so.* It would*make a good match for my boat.

nomadwilly wrote:

markpierce,
... *Instead of white w your green how about cream or another soft earthy color. Be careful of green and yellow * * ....don't want to look like a John Deer tractor.
Don't worry.* The chosen green is closer to black than "Deere green" so*the boat shouldn't look anything like a Deere tractor (although it will have its*engine).

Here's a pic of our prevoius boat after I yachted her up and painted her Jade Mist Green. A few months later I had her painted Fighting Lady Yellow. in the end they both looked great! I do like the Off White in combo with white and the Jade Mist, first class!

Attachments

• dscn0259.jpg
    dscn0259.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 62
  • dscn0279.jpg
    dscn0279.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 66
Keith wrote:

My favorite color! It's going to*be hot though. Just like the discussions on biminis, the darker the color the more heat it absorbs. Will be really awesome though. My boot stripe is deep green, painted on with Imron.
My boat seems to have plenty of insulation, so I'd think exterior colors will have little affect on interior temperatures.* Forward cabin:

ry%3D400

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom