A nice boat for somebody.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Saw this boat on one of the dealer docks in Bellingham yesterday. I have seen a few Eagle 40s in the past and liked the design quite a bit. I don't know anything about the boats themselves in terms of quality, handling, etc., although the owners we talked to were very pleased with them.

Something different about this one (or I simply never noticed it on the ones I've seen before) are the vertical plank coves on the house to make it look like wood. Not sure I actually care for the look, but it's an interesting idea.

Attachments

• Eagle 40 1.jpg
    Eagle 40 1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Eagle 40 2.jpg
    Eagle 40 2.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 189
  • Eagle 40 3.jpg
    Eagle 40 3.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 157
I generally abhor flying bridges, but this one isn't too bad, as long as it doesn't grow a folding sun shade and zip-on vinyl windows.

Pretty boat, thanks for sharing.

They are beautiful boats! I looked at one in Ft Pierce last time I was boat shopping. I'm opposite of Moby Nick I found the F.B. on the Eagle too small for us, when we're cruising we spend about 90%of the time day up there, we also preferred an aft cabin for sleeping.

Does anyone know the manufacturer of the Davits in the second picture? If so please post or PM me I have never seen them, they look like they would work well for me.

I generally abhor flying bridges, but this one isn't too bad, as long as it doesn't grow a folding sun shade and zip-on vinyl windows.

Nice looking trawler--I'm impressed. I very much like the flybridge and the visbility it provides. A bimini top would be an absolute necessity if boating in Florida. Never understood why folks like to coop themselves up in their boats.

The popularity of Flying Bridges and Melanoma are directly proportional.

A bimini, some sunscreen, and a hat are great for keeping the sun and heat off. Recreational boating is about enjoying the outdoors--salt air is intoxicating! As a long-time Florida boater I have yet to get cooked for reasons other than my stupidity (e.g., not listening to my wife and forgetting the sunscreen).

If you operate your boat from the flybridge in Places like Florida and the Bahamas's it's wise to have some sort of cover; In our case a soft/hardtop. Also polarized classes help.
044%20%282%29-XL.jpg

If I remember the terminology correctly that is a bridgedeck. A flying bridge mounted forward on top of the wheelhouse???
Ted

I go by this boat every day as I go down to my boat. It is in outstanding shape. A real beauty. We don't care for the up and down of the stairs in this design, but the boat is immaculate.

The davits are similar to the ones by Olsson Manufacturing - Transom Davits. I also like the lines of the Eagle 40 and it is very nice inside. Quality boat and pricey. There is one in Baltimore on Craigslist for $250k.

Hey Marin,

There is an Eagle 40 berthed here in Campbell River, plus I've seen the occasional one pass through. They all have the vertical planking.

I believe they are single stateroom? That would put them at a disadvantage over the GB 36/42 vessels which vaguely share the same look. (Take "vaguely" to the extreme)

Marin wrote;
"vertical plank coves on the house to make it look like wood"
I've always wondered what to call them. They seem effective ... at fooling people anyway. Lots and lots of people think our Willard is wood.
Here's Chris almost 10 years ago filling the screw holes for the real wood that we took off. 2nd pic is w the wood on. Our "plank coves" are shallow so are more subtle than what is seen on the Eagle but can be clearly be seen.

The plank coves are on the hull too as seen in pic #3. My new Claw looks small on Willy's bow but it's quite large for a 30' boat at 33lbs. Same size as Marin's original Bruce.

A repowered Eagle 32 could be a perfect boat for us. Love the E32.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 128 copy 2.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 128 copy 2.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 120
  • willard 014 copy 3.jpg
    willard 014 copy 3.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF1615 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF1615 copy 3.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
I was aboard one of these at the recent Trawlerfest in Baltimore. We liked everything about the boat but the single stateroom.

There is one for sale in Shilshole, Seattle Yachts I think, that I walk past a few times a week. It is a nice looking boat.

If you operate your boat from the flybridge in Places like Florida and the Bahamas's it's wise to have some sort of cover; In our case a soft/hardtop. Also polarized classes help.

Had my share of ultraviolet above the tree line and in open cockpits. I've no need for a flying bridge as it is often uncomfortable, and nice views are still available on the foredeck if so inclined.

img_274201_0_10a7348cd01a36f5f4669e4d0ac38833.jpg

Easy to see why flying bridges are so popular, and why virtually EVERBODY in the boat building Biz is building nothing but. However, for me, it's not just personal health, but also the STYLE of boats without flying bridges that I prefer. You can bet when I'm standing at the helm of the Du NORD, I have a hat on.

Attachments

• DSCF1767.jpg
    DSCF1767.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 97
Had my share of ultraviolet above the tree line and in open cockpits. I've no need for a flying bridge as it is often uncomfortable, and nice views are still available on the foredeck if so inclined.

img_274215_0_10a7348cd01a36f5f4669e4d0ac38833.jpg

The FB is relatively shaded well. Our FB (One of the reasons we bought the boat) is quite roomy and comfy.

041%20%283%29-XL.jpg

That is a very nice looking boat. It's now on my short list should I ever get two footitis.

All the people with melanoma that never stepped foot on a boat might disagree with you. I suspect that the rate of disease is not significantly higher than other non-boaters but who spend time in the outdoors under the sun.

Marin wrote;
"vertical plank coves on the house to make it look like wood"
I've always wondered what to call them. They seem effective ... at fooling people anyway.

I learned about planking coves from a long-time shipwright on the Grand Banks owners forum. According to him, their purpose is purely cosmetic. On a wood boat with carvel (as opposed to lapstrake) planking on the hull, the planks will work slightly and eventually this working will crack the paint along the plank joints. As we all know from having seen this on carvel-planked wood boats, it's pretty ugly.

So a long, long time ago somebody came up with the idea of planing an angle on the longitudinal edges of the hull planks (or carving one after the planks were installed) and this V-groove would render the cracks in the paint that would inevitably appear either invisible or nearly so, since they would be down in the bottom of the groove.

Over time, the look became synoymous with higher-end wood boats. So when American Marine, for example, who coved the longitudinal joints in the hull planks on their Grand Banks line of boats, switched that line from wood to fiberglass in mid-1973, they wanted the glass boats to be as identical as possible to the wood boats. So Howard Abbey included plank coves in the hull molds he designed and built for the glass GBs.

The FB is relatively shaded well. Our FB (One of the reasons we bought the boat) is quite roomy and comfy.

Cushy seats! But then there is windchill.

Cushy seats! But then there is windchill.

And he has the option to go below. ;)

I only go inside when there is foul weather or it is really cold... "really" cold by my Florida native standards is < 50 degrees Fahrenheit. :socool:

I'm trying to remember the last time I wore jeans or even long pants on my boat! Just my personal opinion but a flybridge or an outside helm are a big plus for southern boating. :hide:

I'm trying to remember the last time I wore jeans or even long pants on my boat! Just my personal opinion but a flybridge or an outside helm are a big plus for southern boating. :hide:

Have to admit I eschew the tropics. Always seem to pick up a disease while being hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable in that clime.

Have to admit I eschew the tropics. Always seem to pick up a disease while being hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable in that clime.

I'll think of you when we're filming in Malaysia next week. Ninety degrees, 99.9999999 percent humidity. The WX app says "Feels like 105."

I don't like heat or humidity, either. I've had my quota of both growing up and then working in Hawaii. Also my quota of sun, which is why I like the PNW so much. Very little of that evil shiny thing here.

But for some reason, all the airlines, suppliers, etc. they've sent us to over the last couple of decades have all been in hot places, or if they're not, they send us to them during their hot season.

I'll think of you when we're filming in Malaysia next week. Ninety degrees, 99.9999999 percent humidity. The WX app says "Feels like 105."

Upon retirement, you'll be free!

Upon retirement, you'll be free!

Maybe, maybe not. They're already talking about having me come back in as a consultant to produce/direct a few specific projects each year after I retire.......

Maybe, maybe not. They're already talking about having me come back in as a consultant to produce/direct a few specific projects each year after I retire.......

Well, it's voluntary. Hope any tropical disease/discomfort is worth the sacrifice. I'd be selective of offered "opportunities."

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3594%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B95997726245ot1lsi

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom