Back in the game!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tunajoe

Vessel Name
Tatanka
Vessel Make
32' Nordic Tug
Well, today I closed on my 2004 Nordic Tug 32.

It was a hell of a lot of work, research, time, mental anguish, mental gridlock, and frustration.
But I sure enjoyed it!

If you remember my thread about (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/what-would-make-you-walk-after-survey-16424.html) ,
it was the same boat. The seller fixed everything, and paid to have a tech of my choosing go to the boat to verify that things had indeed been fixed.
The broker also offered to refund my airfare, which I declined.

It's being picked up in Fort Lauderdale on Oct. 13 and will arrive in Ventura, CA on Oct.17.

Here are a few pictures.....

Attachments

• IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2204.jpg
    IMG_2204.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2201.jpg
    IMG_2201.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
It has 546 hours on the Cummings 6BTA 5.9 and 345 on the Onan generator.
It has the C140W MFD which will be greatly appreciated for my tired eyes.
It has HD radar and a rear facing CCTV camera.
It also has factory tinted windows.
The boat will be re-named "Tatanka" courtesy of my 8 year old daughter.
My kids were intrigued with the bison on Catalina Island and eating "buffalo burgers" every time we went there.
I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions once the boat gets here.

Congratulations! I can see why you fell for that beauty. Caution and co-operation got the deal up.

Very nice looking boat!!

Congratulations! :)

Congrats, nice solid boat!

Glad you worked through the problems. Now enjoy you boat!

Congrats, TJ! That's a beautiful and capable machine you've got there. WTG!!

:thumb: Toot, toot!

Last edited:
That is great news! Congrats on your new tug!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
Looking forward to having it here in Southern California.
How did most of you do your shake down cruise?

Last edited:
The original Nordic Tug 32 was got me into this game. Beautiful boat.

So what did the issues with the Genset and a/c turn out to be? Nice boat, congratulations.

Congratulations and enjoy. You did it! :)

So what did the issues with the Genset and a/c turn out to be? Nice boat, congratulations.

For the genset, it was a bad hi heat sensor, heat exchanger, and bad impeller.

The AC had a bad capacitor, and a bad blower. Something else was wrong too, but I didnt get a look at the invoice, and I cant remember.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
Looking forward to having it here in Southern California.
How did most of you do your shake down cruise?

My maiden voyage was with all my boating friends aboard for a trip into the California Delta from Vallejo, CA. If anything went wrong, we had 4 captains and 3 cooks aboard. We were prepared. I learned a lot about the boat and had a good time doing it.

If I did that again, I'd need a much bigger boat to bring along all my boating friends. :D

The first thing i did was change the raw water impeller and a fresh oil change. And I'm glad I did. The existing impeller was toast. You have to start somewhere to start counting your service hours plus its the prudent thing to do. I would do that , then take it on 2 or 3 short day trips around your area a couple hours at a time . Run it at different RPM's and watch the temperature. If all is good you should be ok. A mechanic isnt really going to be able to tell you much unless he starts taking stuff apart, at which point you might as well start replacing things (from a labor point of view).

great advice Bligh
I plan on reviewing the service records from the last year to see exactly what was done. I'm not sure I should trust them 100% as the generator has had 3 impellers since Feb.

Might be time for a new pump. The condition of the housing might be the cause of all those impeller failures.

Nice vessel. And I've always felt that with the pilothouse type design, surely a flybridge is superfluous..?

Might be time for a new pump. The condition of the housing might be the cause of all those impeller failures.

I plan on replacing the pump when I get the boat.

When the dealer took the boat in on trade in Feb 2014, they had their mechanics service the boat which included cleaning the gen heat exchanger and impeller.
Then in July the fellow who had been using the boat ( a deep pocketed friend of the boat brokerage owner) had about 10k worth of work done on the boat ( bottom paint, new cutlass bearings, impellers, oil change, ac work, etc) I think it was a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing in terms of servicing the boat. I'm not sure the deep pocketed friend even looked at the 4 pages of invoices.
Then when they brought in a different mechanic after I surveyed the boat , they
rreplaced the heat exchanger, some heat sensor that was on the heat exchanger and replaced a bad impeller.
At this point, I own the boat and plan on doing what ever is needed to bring things up to par.
All the batteries were replaced in 2010, so I'm not sure when they should all be replaced. How long do they usually last?

Nice vessel. And I've always felt that with the pilothouse type design, surely a flybridge is superfluous..?

Thank you!
The nice thing about this boat, is it was built with the option of adding a flybridge in the future. It had all the chases and a different false stack design.

Originally Posted by Peter B

Now now Pete. Be nice :)

Nice looking boat. Way to go:socool:

Really nice looking craft - Congrats!

Seems most if not all service items have already been accomplished.

However, unless you feel very confident in your prowess... Before you go test cruising, when it first arrives and gets docked, I recommend you have qualified marine mechanic carefully look things over. 2 to 4 hrs +/- could save a bunch of headache if perchance there were a glitch about to happen somehow/somewhere. When you do a full-on shakedown I also recommend you have at least one person aboard that is knowledgeable regarding mechanisms present on that boat... in so far as understanding items that may/may not occur and how to handle the affair if something does happen.

Little note here: When I got my Tollycraft I had full knowledge of the many, many services accomplished just before purchase. Then, I hired a well known marine mechanic to go over things and to alter a few situations in ways I preferred. Mechanic and I took her out for about an hour with engine hatches open and all went A-OK. She seemed in great condition; sooo…, next day, off I went with wife and a couple friends (fellow being a long time well versed boater). We headed toward Golden Gate Bridge for about two hours, went under and turned around heading back deeper into the bay. Couple more hours cruise and I set hook just off China Camp beach, a historic location. Was a bit breezy so we left bridge to have lunch in salon with the gals. While there I decided to open one hatch to ER in salon floor. That’s when I learned a problem. Starboard motor’s raw water pump had developed a fracture. There was over 6” sea water throughout bilge center. Three bilge pumps made short order of that as it was not leaking unless motor was running. And, even with motor running engine remained cool with pumps easily able to handle leak.

Soon repaired with new pump… and life goes on!

But, when ya least expect it – Expect It!

Happy New Boat Daze! – Art :D

Congratulations for hanging in there! Now it's enjoy time. Also doesn't hurt that the weather is cooler than when you first arrived.

Congratulations for hanging in there! Now it's enjoy time. Also doesn't hurt that the weather is cooler than when you first arrived.

I want to thank you again for all your great advice in negotiating for my tug.
They didn't "bite" but I learned a lot and I still got the boat I wanted for a decent price..

Thank you again!

Joe

What kind of anchor is on it...? great boat!

I want to thank you again for all your great advice in negotiating for my tug.
They didn't "bite" but I learned a lot and I still got the boat I wanted for a decent price..

Thank you again!

Joe

:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom