Teak wood source

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogerh

Guru
Vessel Name
At Last
Vessel Make
1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
We live up in the panhandle of Florida. Near Destin. I have some cabinet work to do and need to have a source for teak since everything on our boat is made of teak. Where would be a good reasonable source for teak in our area? I need some fairly long pieces so shipping would get expensive. Any help is appreciated as always.
Thanks

If I can't scrounge teak from the local boatyards, I have ordered from Buck Woodcraft in FL. 6' seems to be their longest length but if you contact them maybe they might have longer pieces by special order.

Buck Woodcraft

Buck is great. Just a short walk from Boot Key harbor.

My wife would like to put a kitchen pull out spice cabinet in the space. I am concerned that it would not last if it were not teak like the rest of the boat. Is that a valid concern?

Greetings,
Mr. R. For an interior galley spice cabinet I would suggest almost any wood will work. The only reason for using teak would be to match existing cabinetry (maybe use another wood and use a teak veneer for "looks") IMO.
Exterior or structural which may get wet is a whole different animal. That's where the use of teak benefits through it's strength, it's appearance AND it's resistance to rot.

Ask Dennis Mayhew at Bluewater Bay, I suspect he has a source.

Send a PM to a member named Pack Mule. He is a specialty hardwood distributor and should be able to give you the straight poop on a local to you distributor.

Greetings,
Mr. R. For an interior galley spice cabinet I would suggest almost any wood will work. The only reason for using teak would be to match existing cabinetry (maybe use another wood and use a teak veneer for "looks") IMO.
Exterior or structural which may get wet is a whole different animal.
Meranti looks very much like teak when finished.

You can also use Iroko.. and stain it to the color of the existing teak. I made window valances for the mini blinds that way in the Ocean Alexander. Iroko is about 1/4 the cost of teak.

HOLLYWOOD

In my experience though, iroko is hard as a rock, splinters like crazy, and even if my saw blade is brand new and razor sharp, I find it almost impossible to get a fine, clean saw cut. It'll last forever and is very tough I know, but I bite the bullet ($$) and use real teak for exterior at least. Some of the big box stores around here sell iroko for decking so I was able to get a big piece and then never used it - but maybe I just got some bad pieces, or it was mis-identified.

This guy in Key Largo is pretty easy to work with:

Home

In my experience though, iroko is hard as a rock, splinters like crazy, and even if my saw blade is brand new and razor sharp, I find it almost impossible to get a fine, clean saw cut. It'll last forever and is very tough I know, but I bite the bullet ($$) and use real teak for exterior at least. Some of the big box stores around here sell iroko for decking so I was able to get a big piece and then never used it - but maybe I just got some bad pieces, or it was mis-identified.

you must of got a bad piece.. I never have had a issue.. it is hard.. but not anything like Ipe, now that is hard wood!. I am so spoiled living here in P.T., with Edensaw Woods in my backyard I have a fantastic resource.

HOLLYWOOD

This sounds like an ad I know, but I'm simply a happy customer, no other connection to this vendor -- I've had great success with Cherokee Wood Products in Upland, California. I needed to replace a salon hatch on my Carver, about 36" x 36". They sent me a gigantic, just beautiful piece of African mahogany, almost 20" wide, a seven foot long board cut into two equal pieces, nearly 2" thick. I expected shipping to be outrageous but it was surprisingly reasonable. I think the whole thing came to around $140. The hatch is now finished, a beautiful deep, rich red, with a holly and ebony nautical star inlaid into it. That wood was spectacular at a very good price. I'm usually very reluctant to let somebody else pick out a critical piece of wood for me or rely on a vendor, but I was so happy with Cherokee Wood Products I wrote them a thank-you letter. They do have teak although the supply varies. I'd paste a link but a quick google search will find them (although you want the Cherokee in Upland, California, there are a few other wood suppliers named Cherokee-something in the US).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom