Waterspouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Came across the photo of a waterspout in the Fla Keys.
I was wondering if any of you folks have seen waterspouts while under way.* KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 30th of January 2011 03:59:38 AM

Yes I have, and I was glad it was passing us at a distance. However, in the Sydney Hobart annual yacht race a few yrs ago, one of the yachts (a 70 footer) had a very close encounter - sailed right through one - captured on film - take a look. Sorry but the only link I could find is in German, but once the action starts the language is superfluous.

waterspouts are pretty common here in the summer. I was out fishing in my outboard and counted five of them at one time. They don't move real fast and are quite small in size where they touch the water. I never heard of anyone around here getting caught in one. They do whip up a lot of water at the surface as shown in the pic.
Interesting to hear someone shouting "does anyone want lifejackets" in that video. I doubt many turned that offer down.
Steve W.

Yes, once about 35 miles off the NC coast we had 3 down around us.* No radar, but we could see which way they were moving.* The problem was that we could run, but there was a Jersey Skiff out there with a disabled engine.* We said that we would take them off the boat with us, but they elected to stay.* We hung around keeping a close eye out in case they needed us.* Two of them went on either side of us.* Scarry.* I have a black and white photo of one down and 2 more ready to drop.* It is not digital.* After they dispersed, we loaned the other boat a battery to get them back home.

We have seen a couple of others, one in the Keys, but not that close.

Yes.* when I saw one it shook the house we were in.* We were not in a boat at the time, but if we had been we would have been steaming away at top speed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom