brian eiland
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
KSS building process.....a first hand account

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
If you look thru some of that KSS information and links I just posted, it's hard not to see that this is the ideal manner in which to build the relatively big flat panels of our decks, our cabin sides, and our cabin roof for the new Pilgrim design.

And these 'pieces' can all be built on a big flat horizontal table that produces parts with a 'finished side' to them, and the glass lay-up can be varied from part to part (main deck different than cabin side, different from cabin roof).

Set up properly this would all go much faster than traditional hand lay-up, with fewer people, be a much cleaner operation, and produce a superior resin injected piece.

Derek has worked with PVC foams like this for years, and much prefers them for this process. That said, there are no set rules that the Pilgrim redesign could not utilize the same foam-cored panels for its superstructure. BUT, I also think that the newer resin-injected-ready polypropylene cores could also be utilized in place of his beloved foam.
If you combine this quote of mine, along with my previous posting #109....
Quote:
...excerpt....
KSS is to forget all we know about traditional boat building. This is the hard part. The blinkers of what we know are very powerful. KSS takes the requirements of the final craft, the properties of the materials involved, the structure and what is efficient in the boat shop, and combines them into a common sense handling process.

Take into consideration these two postings, and then read a first hand account of a fellow (JAM) who just recently attended one of Kelsall's workshops
Quote:
I spent 4 days in Lenoir Tennessee at Derek Kellsall’s KSS workshop. We built the hull of a 42 ft catamaran. Two friends are building two 42 foot cats at the same location there. When finished one guy will take his to Florida and the other will sail on TVA waters. One will have a normal bridge deck with accommodations and one will be more of a open/day charter cat.

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t amazed at how pitifully easy and fast it was to construct a hull. Half of the hull ( one flat panel) had already been infused and formed so all we had to was build was another half, form it and then bond the two halves together. I would estimate that two hard working people could easily build both halves and bond them together in about 10 days while still keeping it fun. Boat building fun? Sheer heresy you say? Read on.

Prior to the workshop I had only seen two boat builds. A Bruce Roberts 53 in steel and an F-31 in foam epoxy. I have repaired my boats dozens of times with foam, glass, polyester and epoxy resin, but never built a boat from the ground up. This was a real eye opening experience. I went from being terrified that I would never have the time ( or stamina) to fair the hull surfaces, if I ever took on such a project, to realizing that on the infusion table flat beautiful fair panels could be produced at a rapid clip. Hulls with gel coat or ready for paint. Derek has so damn much horse sense and has just found the simplest way to do things. Another quality I find appealing in anyone is being willing to be wrong and learn from other people no matter what their background. Well during each of the workshops new techniques are discovered and Derek incorporates these techniques into the knowledge he brings to the next workshop. I boarded my plane back to Minnesota with “I want to do this!” echoing in my head. Of course it would be easier to buy a used boat, but I found the KSS process to be surprisingly enjoyable and satisfying. Parts are created so quickly on the table there is a level of excitement that has to be experienced to be believed. Fiberglass and resins for me has been nothing but sticky, picky, itchy, stinky drudgery for me in the past. Now I have a whole new way to look at the process and confidence that I could do it and not want to give up from the sheer drudgery of sanding years of my life away with the wind blowing outside.

I came into work this morning and my YouTube subscriptions sent me this video. I watched it and wanted to cry. Cry at how much work these very talented guys were doing that they didn’t have to. I cringed when I watched the video, like watching someone paint a house with a half inch wide brush or cut a lawn with a fingernail clippers. I guess us humans revel in doing things the hard way out of sheer momentum or stubbornness. Every culture has their idioms, but in this case I have to stick with, “You can lead horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.”

jam

PS:.... from a multihull forum
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote