windlass for my Krogan Manatee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elsea

Vessel Name
ELSEA -V
Vessel Make
TollyCraft 40' SunDeck
Just purchased a 1989 Manatee that needs its' first Electric Windlass..
Any suggestion as to Mfg. and Model..have been looking at the Maxwell HRC 10-8 12 volt

Maxwells are great, also IMTRA (lofrans tigress), And Lewmar are some names.

Call Marine Connection in fort pierce. Ask for Ronnie. He has a selection. I think you need a 1000 watt quick 5/16 matching chain ($3.50-4.00 a foot) and hard lay 3 stran sized nylon at $.97 a foot. How much chain, how much nylon? Start with post number 1 on How Much Chain......Ask your Dr what is right for you. If you experience dizziness, hives, dry mouth, irritability, bitchiness or an erection that last longer than 4 hours call your Dr.:angel:

As for me, if I experience an erection lasting longer than 4 hours, I am calling a press conference.:dance:

I installed a Lofrans Tigres when the original Simson Lawrence went out 4 years ago. We are very happy with the Lofrans.

We went with a Ideal vertical drum/wildcat model because we wanted to be able to use it on both anchor rodes, one is all chain the other rope/chain combo. The rodes lead nicely from either pulpit roller to the windlass and stow into the chain pipes and lockers.
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 024 (3).jpg
    024 (3).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 85
Lots of good names. We went with Lewmar due to local sales and service. Have had it for 4 years now with no issues. It takes the combo chain and rode and stores automatically without any manual assist which makes the admiral happy.

Attachments

• New windlass.jpg
    New windlass.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 84
The Muir Cougar on my boat works great and has been pretty trouble free, removed once for brushes and service. It's a 1000 watt with 5/16" gypsy and a capstan on the other side.

Went with Ideal after had to replace a Maxwell when Maxwell would no longer "support" my model.

Lots of good names. We went with Lewmar due to local sales and service. Have had it for 4 years now with no issues. It takes the combo chain and rode and stores automatically without any manual assist which makes the admiral happy.

Same here. Very pleased and buying it didn't break the bank. The self-launching anchor roller, wireless remote, recessed washdown hose and lower helm controls make it a cinch to operate. Toughest part is keeping it shiny!! :D

img_270517_0_11d639452a19e0d4e6012fe014455f6a.jpg

All of the names mentioned here have good reputations. I wouldn't hesitate to put any of them on my boat. I have a twenty year old Lewmar on my boat. The aluminum housing is flaking paint and pitting. The damn thing won't quit so I can buy one of the new ones with stainless covers.

All of the names mentioned here have good reputations. I wouldn't hesitate to put any of them on my boat. I have a twenty year old Lewmar on my boat. The aluminum housing is flaking paint and pitting. The damn thing won't quit so I can buy one of the new ones with stainless covers.

At least you don't have to worry about keeping it shiny! :socool:

When you're ready to buy, I know this guy who runs a marine parts store in Miami. He'll sell it to you for cost. :D

I also have the Lewmar Stainless Steel Sport Fisher pictured above with Flywright and LaBomba. No issues. It was an identical bolt-in for the old Simpson-Lawrence unit that was pretty worn out. I've yet to see how it works with anything over 40 lbs on all 5'16" chain, but the plan is to upgrade my anchor to a Rocna 44 lb.. We'll see.

Attachments

• side by side.jpg
    side by side.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 73
Flywright that poor guy sells stuff so cheap he can't afford a new windlass.
Fly and Larry, does that windlass accept a handle to manually retrieve the anchor?
My old one won't and I worry about the day it does die.

I also have the Lewmar Stainless Steel Sport Fisher pictured above with Flywright and LaBomba. No issues. It was an identical bolt-in for the old Simpson-Lawrence unit that was pretty worn out. I've yet to see how it works with anything over 40 lbs on all 5'16" chain, but the plan is to upgrade my anchor to a Rocna 44 lb.. We'll see.

Can you zip tie an old Makita or SkilSaw to the anchor to test the windlass? No sense investing in a Rocna 44 only to find the windlass won't haul it.

Fly and Larry, does that windlass accept a handle to manually retrieve the anchor?

Yes, there's a square end wrench that fits the clutch. If you look close, you can see the 3 square holes in the stbd side of the windlass. These are used to adjust the clutch and to manually retrieve the ground tackle. The ProFish model is slightly different, but functions the same. I've never tried to use it to retrieve, though. It's shown on page 19 of the Lewmar 1000 instructions.

Oh, c'mon Parks. Everyone knows that anyone with a marine parts store is filthy rich. If I ran a boat parts retailer, I'd change windlasses like I change wiper blades. I probably wouldn't even need a retrieve function...just cut it free and go to the store and get a new anchor and rode.

:hide:

Oh, c'mon Parks. Everyone knows that anyone with a marine parts store is filthy rich. If I ran a boat parts retailer, I'd change windlasses like I change wiper blades. I probably wouldn't even need a retrieve function...just cut it free and go to the store and get a new anchor and rode.

:hide:

I like to see a man live dangerously.

What's the old saying, 'there are brave pilots and there are old pilots but there are no brave old pilots,or some such thing.

Lots of good names. We went with Lewmar due to local sales and service. Have had it for 4 years now with no issues............
I found out too late that you are supposed to take that windlass apart and lubricate it once a year. It can get water inside and rust the gears and motor bearings. I had to replace mine.

Yes, there's a square end wrench that fits the clutch. If you look close, you can see the 3 square holes in the stbd side of the windlass. These are used to adjust the clutch and to manually retrieve the ground tackle. .......

In theory, that works. In practice, not so much. Mine wouldn't budge so I got out the handle and tried to turn it. No dice.

To make a long story short, the bearings on the motor froze (rust) and because the motor wouldn't turn and the gears are always engaged, the windlass wouldn't turn with the wrench.

"Oh, c'mon Parks. Everyone knows that anyone with a marine parts store is filthy rich."
Fly, I remember those days. I could charge list price and people were happy to pay it. That was before the internet. I can't get away with anything anymore!

Joy thought it would cool to have a manual windlass you know like macho or something . It's a great windlass but so far it's no chick magnet . I think she just wanted me to save some money

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 75
Just purchased a 1989 Manatee that needs its' first Electric Windlass..
Any suggestion as to Mfg. and Model..have been looking at the Maxwell HRC 10-8 12 volt

When the big no-name windlass that came with our boat lunched some gear teeth we replaced it with a Lofrans Tigres horizontal drum windlass. Great unit and it's often the factory install on Grand Banks, Eastbay and Nordic Tug boats. Very easy to install and wire.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 66
I like to see a man live dangerously.

What's the old saying, 'there are brave pilots and there are old pilots but there are no brave old pilots,or some such thing.

Yes..."There are old pilots and there are bold pilots...but there are no old, bold pilots."

I'll have to wait for the revenge strike...like Parks' parts deliveries, it'll come soon, I'm sure. :facepalm:

Mine only came with a handle .No switches or brushes to wear out just me !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 67
Lofrans Tigress is the windlass that I have used on 50ft. Beneteau sailboats in the Caribbean. These boats are in the Moorings and Sunsail charter fleets. These boats typically re-anchor 2-3 times every day. They are operated by inexperienced non-owners. The windlass is frequently used to pull the boat up to the anchor instead of just retrieving the anchor. I worked for Sunsail/Moorings for 15 years as a sail guide. I loved those windlasses, they were considered very rugged and not problematical by the maintenance crews. Parts and service are readily available and probably will be for a long time. If you are going to be anchoring a lot I would not consider anything else.

I looked at Defender at tigress and others....the 1000 watt quick looks good on the shelf and less than $1500 at Marine Connection...just sayin...

He also has other brands... His business is batch buying from out of business boat builders, supply houses, surplus from established boat builders and so forth. He has 12 - 15 or so winches. He has one huge Muir w/o power, go hydraulic or electric.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom