Center pilothouse window removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfedex

Vessel Name
Fluke
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Greetings. I am looking for help getting the center window on a 12 year old 42 Krogen, *out and re-bedded. It is not opening or hinged. It looks like taking interior teak trim off by way of getting plugs out - then unscrewing the screws. If it is that simple, it will still be hard to do. Has any one done this job. It is probably similar on other type boats. R & R is due to a leak at the bottom and old bedding material "squeezing out from metal frames that hold the glass on the outside. There are no fasteners on the outside. It is a little scary but not doing the fix would get me into real trouble.

Try getting a hold of John Gear @ Kadey/Krogen Yachts.* His email address is john@kadeykrogen.com

Or try the Krogen owners forum.**I think*Tom on AVENTURA, who*has hull number 204, one of the last 42's made, looks at that forum.* He's messed around with his windows and should be able to help.

Question:* Does your center window open outward?* On the early 42's they did.* We have hull number 120 and ours does.

Good luck, winters coming.

Larry/Lena
Hob KK42
La Paz, BCS, MX

Thanks Larry, I will do that. I do recall that Aventura he done some window up grades I have Tom's email on a list ...

It doesn't open? Windows are always installed and glazed from the outside so you'll have to figure out how to remove the outside frame.

I have to do the same, but my problem is completely different because my center window is hinged and opens.

A quick cheat/fix: Get some flowable silicone from the auto parts store and apply it where the leak is. It's designed for auto glass, but works great on boats because it runs into the cracks and seals/sets up away from the UV which will eventually destroy clear silicones.

Keith, After some help from my boatyard guru, found the glass is actually taped to the metal frame like a car windshield. Krogen went from wood frames on exterior to metal with tape like mine to metal where the glass sits in a rubber grommet on 48s 44s etc which makes more sense to me. I have a marine glass guy who will help me out.

Back
Top Bottom