A Krogen in Europe – A New Chapter Begins for Dauntless and its Intrepid Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This morning

ForumRunner_20140921_162632.jpg

ForumRunner_20140921_162651.jpg

And last night

My wifey handles cold like a reptile. :eek::D She is only warm for a week or two in August and we live in the South. :rofl:

Having said that, we want to spend the winter in Ireland, UK and Norway. :eek::blush: Not quite sure how this will work out but that is the plan. :lol:
Later,
Dan

That's funny!! :blush: In the Algarve, the South of Portugal, from October - March, the Lagos area to Sagres turns into a snow bird community of the UK, Sweden, Norway and Germany. You will find more German and English speakers than Portuguese. Many are retired and own homes so it's not like it's loaded with tourists with kids.

If the North Countries don't work out for your wife, brings her to the south of Portugal. Very affordable and absolutely beautiful!!! :thumb:

ps: oops missed one pic - Yes Al, they have appropriate beverages there!!:nonono:

Attachments

• sagres.jpg
    sagres.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Sagres2.jpg
    Sagres2.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 89
  • sagras beer.jpg
    sagras beer.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
That's funny!! :blush: In the Algarve, the South of Portugal, from October - March, the Lagos area to Sagres turns into a snow bird community of the UK, Sweden, Norway and Germany. You will find more German and English speakers than Portuguese. Many are retired and own homes so it's not like it's loaded with tourists with kids.

If the North Countries don't work out for your wife, brings her to the south of Portugal. Very affordable and absolutely beautiful!!! :thumb:

ps: oops missed one pic - Yes Al, they have appropriate beverages there!!:nonono:

Portugal is on the list of places to go and stay. My parents spent a summer in O Porto years ago and loved it. Picked up my Port habit from their stay. :eek::thumb::rofl:

How much port can a trawler hold? :whistling::D

Later,
Dan

Richard, great pictures. Thanks for sharing them.
Edelweiss, same on your photos.

Yes. We've also thought about Spain as we have friends there.

In less than 30 minutes I'll have another landfall.

I'm docking in Dunmore East tonight, do I can get fuel in the morning and then up the river to Waterford.

Strange, but no matter how many times I've done this, I get nervous, totally out of proportion, to the task at hand.

Reminds me again how wonderful it was to have Karel and Mi Jong, meet me after my long trip. Also to be able to recuperate at thier house was much needed.

So glad you said that. I thought it was just because I was not seasoned that I got nervous.

Strange, but no matter how many times I've done this, I get nervous, totally out of proportion, to the task at hand.

I've never measured my heart beat, but in general...arrival anywhere by boat or plane is always an anxious moment. Never understood why.

Portugal is on the list of places to go and stay. My parents spent a summer in O Porto years ago and loved it. Picked up my Port habit from their stay. :eek::thumb::rofl:
:whistling::D

Porto is nice too!! But I really fell in love with the Algarve.

Yes. We've also thought about Spain as we have friends there.
Spain too!! I will be in Madrid and Valencia sometime in April through June. Have a friend in Valencia to stay with, hoping for about three months this year, before it gets too hot!!

Last edited:
Rode the 15 miles up a very foggy river today.
Got 2400 liters of fuel this morning. Paid €0.88 including vat.

I'll never see a lower price anywhere in the EU. That's $4.43 a gallon. And it's only that high because of the weak dollar.

Weirdly, I almost can't believe this part of the trip is over. I've pictured this moment in my head for years.

Almost anti climatic now. But they always say it is not the destination, it is the journey. You certainly had a journey that we all enjoyed. When are you headed back to the states?

Unless my math is wrong, you got even a better break than $4.43 per gallon.

2400 l X 0.88 = 2112 E, today's exchange rate 0.78, so $2708.14 USD for 2400 l / 3.79 = 633.2 US gallons. 2708.14 / 633.2 = $4.28 USD per gallon.

Irregardless of Bob or Richard's calculation, :D, that fuel price is much cheaper than I expected. I was figuring $6 USD per US gallon.

I had to word that first sentence really carefully, since even $4.28 per US gallon ain't cheap. :nonono::)

Later,
Dan

Unless my math is wrong, you got even a better break than $4.43 per gallon.

2400 l X 0.88 = 2112 E, today's exchange rate 0.78, so $2708.14 USD for 2400 l / 3.79 = 633.2 US gallons. 2708.14 / 633.2 = $4.28 USD per gallon.

Yep, you're right.
I used a higher exchange rate, but the $ has been doing better against the € in the last weeks.

I never even hoped I could get it so cheap, many had said Norway was the cheapest at $5.70/gal

This guy quoted me the price two weeks ago, but I didn't tell anyone bc maybe the Euro $$€€ police are reading this.

Supposedly, there is a €2000 fine for ANY boat, EU and non EU, found with dyed diesel in the tanks.

Of course that's because us yachties are rich so we must may our fair share, and your share and his share and her share, etc

Here a picture of our winter home.

ForumRunner_20140922_201557.jpg

ForumRunner_20140922_201629.jpg

I have to say, I miss the fishers. Even last night and this morning, I was rafted to two f/vs and just a nice friendly experience.

By the way, in Portugal and Spain the price is about $6. In the north, it's above 8.

I'm already planning on during here next fall again.

The good news is as of Sept 15, Libya is $0.38 USD per gallon. Not as cheap as Venezuela at $0.04 but a real bargain for cruising the Med.

Almost anti climatic now. But they always say it is not the destination, it is the journey. You certainly had a journey that we all enjoyed. When are you headed back to the states?

I'll be back next week, for the first two weeks in October.

...............I never even hoped I could get it so cheap, many had said Norway was the cheapest at $5.70/gal...............

In fact the price of Diesel in Norway is by far the highest in Europe, second highest is the UK.

What would keep an enterprising cruiser from installing a fuel pump and meter on his boat, buying diesel in Libya and selling to other cruisers in Italy? Plenty of profit margin.

550 nm round trip / 3 nm per gallon is 183 gallons. If you hold 700 gallons that would leave 500 gallons to sell. $316 for 700 gallons in Libya, sell 500 gallons in Italy at a $2 per gallon discount equals $3000.

But, as you said, you have to go to Libya to get that price. Lots of bad guys there w/ very sharp knives.

Well, Richard....it looks as if you've really got a beautiful winter home there. I got a bit addicted to the adrinal rush of the crossing, but I've got more than enough things to keep me busy over the fall/winter season. Here in the land of sunshine, there doesn't seem to be any seasonal slowdown....just the opposite. Got any projects planned during the stay?

What would keep an enterprising cruiser from installing a fuel pump and meter on his boat, buying diesel in Libya and selling to other cruisers in Italy? Plenty of profit margin.

Ha!! You wouldn't be the first person to have thought of that. Buying or selling untaxed black market fuel in Western Europe is just as illegal, as it is here and is punished much more severely!! The rights of search and seizure are quite different in Europe and an encounter with their Custom police can be quite humbling. You wouldn't want to "cross sword" with the Servicio de Vigilancia Aduanera over transporting and selling untaxed fuel :pirate:

Fill up in the Channel Islands of Jersey and guernsey, and then In Gibraltar where a litre of white unmarked diesel is 0.58 pence (uk£).

You can have red diesel in your tanks as long as you have a receipt for its purchase from Ireland or the Uk where's it's legal.

Ha!! You wouldn't be the first person to have thought of that. Buying or selling untaxed black market fuel in Western Europe is just as illegal, as it is here and is punished much more severely!! The rights of search and seizure are quite different in Europe and an encounter with their Custom police can be quite humbling. You wouldn't want to "cross sword" with the Servicio de Vigilancia Aduanera over transporting and selling untaxed fuel :pirate:

Psst....

Psst....

How about untaxed a l c o h o l? :whistling:

I "know" some guys who might be able to get some clear fluid. Not good for the ol' boat engine but helps the crew. :rofl:

People still get busted in NC for moonshine. I swear I used to be able to hear a thumber on a still off to our south years ago. Its a very distinctive sound and i would only hear it on some nights. :whistling:

A few years ago, I pulled into a car parts store that is owned by some locals who work in the store. I needed wind shield wipers and for some reason the buy wanted to see the truck. :rolleyes: So we walk out side and a Chevy S10 pull in with a young guy driving and and older guy riding shotgun. The back of the truck is loaded down with 2-3 layers of old milk jugs with clear fluid! :eek: What the heck? You can't be serious is what I am thinking. At least put a tarp over the load.

We walk to the truck and return to the store to get my wipers. In walks the old guy who was riding shotgun. The guy helping me starts asking questions.
  • "John, who are you working with?"
  • "Where did you get the stuff?"
  • "Who ya selling it too?"
  • "Where ya going with the truck?"
  • "Who is that driving?"

The entire time the parts guy is asking questions, the guy with the moonshine says nothing. Nada. Zip. He only ask for a part he needs to another owner and that is it. He turned to leave with his part and he got to the door as the other owner asked one more question. The moonshiner, turned around and said, "Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies." He turn around and left! :rofl:

I was standing there thinking WTF! Is this really happening in the 21st century? :blush: Well, yes it is. There are still shot houses in NC where you can get a shot of moonshine. It costs a dollar a shot so a gallon of shine is a real profit maker....

I go to an old time barbershop. At the time this happened there were two barbers who have been cutting hair in this couny for over a half century. One guy just died and danged but I miss that old man. :nonono: He came back from Korea and started cutting hair. I figure these two guys know were the skeletons buried the skeletons and I learned a long time ago to listen real carefully to what these guys had to say. Especially if you asked questions just right! :rofl:

Anywho, one day they were talking about the parts store and low and behold the buy who was helping me and asking all of the questions was a retired sheriff deputy. :thumb::D:

As Gomer would say, "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise." :D:

There are lots of people around here who grow an acre or so of field corn. Field corn is for critters for the most part but they don't have livestock. Hmm.. They grow enough corn, let it dry and hand harvest. I can only think of one reason to grow that little field corn. :whistling:

I think shine has a higher profit margin than Libyan fuel, it surely is easier to buy/produce, and a lot safer to get. :D

Later,
Dan

That's because winter doesn't exist in south Florida.....sigh.

I have seen flurries in Orlando,FL before.Technically not south Florida.More central,I believe.

Well, Richard....it looks as if you've really got a beautiful winter home there. I got a bit addicted to the adrinal rush of the crossing, but I've got more than enough things to keep me busy over the fall/winter season. Here in the land of sunshine, there doesn't seem to be any seasonal slowdown....just the opposite. Got any projects planned during the stay?

:eek: I know. I'll be ready to move on add soon as I get back from the States.

Trying to organize my writings and pictures.

Also, I must get heat in the boat and of my three battery chargers, the only 220-120v one, is not f...ing working.

That is the big problem for today and tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom