View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Billylll
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Better receiver and filtering it can still be used with the CTR35 using the LAN cable outlet. However I'd stay with the ROGUE and CTR35 combination you have. This would be a great unit for someone looking for an all in one fully weather protected unit.
It's actual power is +29dbm basically 1dbm short of the HP or highest power 1 watt version. The built in access point uses a metric to change the access points channel to channels other than the 1 the bridge unit (part of the entire assembly) is connected to. Many of the older ROGUE units don't have the 10 saved access point feature the newest ROGUE units also have the 10 favorites (you save the settings for 10 individual shore based Hot Spots or Access Points.
An additional feature is the rebroadcast access point can be turned off and on via the software if extra range is needed by hooking up the CAT5 to a laptop and disabling the internal access point. I have found the extra noise generated by the access point can shorten the string by up to a mile. This usually isn't a big issue unless your like me and like to see how far you can stretch the string between the Hot Spot and your vessel. Or instead of the CAT5 cable feeding a laptop you can install an external 5GHz 802.11A&N access point and not create the extra noise caused by (2) 2.4GHz WiFi radios in the same case.
It's a real nice unit where the electronics are fully protected and everything except the external marine WiFi antenna is part of the unit. I also like that it will run on 12VDC directly so no wall worts or POE's are needed or cause intermittent power problems. The DC leads are well filtered and accept a wide variety of input voltages without harming the unit. It's a pretty serious easy as pie to use WiFi unit specifically made for marine usage although it would work quite well on a camper/ motor home...
Bill