The Northwest Passage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Arctic Traveller
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
It seems like more and more boats are doing the North West passage these days.* This week, the Octopus pulled into Juneau after completeing the passage.* You might remember this is Paul Allen's 414 foot yacht.* With a crew of 60, including a few former Navy Seals I would imaging they are pretty well set up for going anywhere they please in complete safety and comfort.* Today, another megayacht is due to arrive in Juneau, again having just completed the North West passage. No details yet, but I'm on my way downtown to see if it's here yet.* Perhaps I can dig up some further info...........Arctic Traveller* *

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Friday 24th of September 2010 10:11:30 AM

Attachments

• octopus.jpg
    octopus.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 177
Fun day downtown for yachtspotters.* The Dione Sky pulled in yesterday, after having just completed the North West Passage.* She's 153 feet, and only carrys a crew of 9.* According to the person I talked to on the dock (crew, guest owner?) in the last year, the boat has been to Antartica, and then headed North to do the Inside Passage. I expected the bow to have a lot of wear from the ice, but I didn't detect any at least from dockside.* Now if I can only find a way to get a job aboard!*

And, the Ocotpus just pulled back into town, perhaps to party with the folks from the Dione, (as they both were in the North West Passage at the same time)* Carrying a submarine and a helecopter among lots of other toys, I bet there is never a lack of things to do aboard.* I think it would be fun to just hang out with the security guys and hear their storys (former Navy Seals) Arctic Traveller

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Friday 24th of September 2010 10:08:43 AM

Attachments

• dionesky copy.jpg
    dionesky copy.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 204
One of these days when I am rich and famous.

SD

How close can you get to Paul Allen's yacht?* When we were at St. Martins, Octopus*was anchored out.* We went over in the dinghy to take a look and were chased a way by his security.* They had a boat in the water 24/7's.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Paz, BCS, MX

She's close enough to the shore I didn't need to get any closer to be able to see.* Here in the downtown Juneau harbor, his security will have a difficult time keeping folks at a very far distance, as this is a very busy and small harbor, with boats coming and going all the time.* It does look like they have several boats in the water though, and the garage doors are open to launch more..............Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:

It seems like more and more boats are doing the North West passage these days.* This week, the Octopus pulled into Juneau after completeing the passage.*

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Friday 24th of September 2010 10:11:30 AM
From whence it came?

232323232%7Ffp53836%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2%3A368%3C2336nu0mrj

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 25th of September 2010 10:56:47 PM

I read some where were a person has done the passage by Kayak/rowing several time.* He basically lives of the land and sea.* The is a sister ship of the Eagle in BC Canada that basically lives off the sea land, but he being doing that for years. It would take somebody that could live off the land/sea or had a very capable boat. *There are not many harbors/towns to get food/fuel so you are pretty much on your own.**

When Paul Allen had is first little boat 125 ft, which he gave to his sister.* It used to pull into our marina on LakeUnion for Seafair, so we got to meet the crew and even Paul.* You could tell when they where going to leave the dock as the limousines would start pulling up.* *Paul also owns another yacht, I believe the Tatoosh, 303+?* How would you like to be Paul Allen on the Octopus, 414 to be over shadowed by the Eclipse 557? Paul and the owner of Oracle software had a battle when building their boat as to which is bigger/longest. *Rising Sun 454 because he added an extended deck, but he did not take procession of it as he heard a bigger boat was being made.* Anyway since both live in the Seattle area it hit the social gossip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom