Basic Trawler questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great house afloat , but I was unable to find build specks?

LLoyds or anyone ever take a look below the acre of teak?

Twin vs. Single....the endless debate. having owned both newer twin engine sedans and now our older/slower single screw Monk, I can see the merits of both set ups. Obviously a single is going to be more cost effective. However, handling obviously will be less nimble. My monk has a SERIOUS walk to starboard in reverse to the point I wish I had a thruster sometimes. Other than that I love the single. That said, I love the handling a twin screw set up affords.

My Krogen backs to starboard, and I can use that to advantage. To back in a straight line, I can either use my thruster, or the "back and fill" maneuver. I've done both.

If I go about 2 knots my rudder will steer going backwards.My little Albin did that too w a smaller rudder.

Attachments

• sth71269.jpg
    sth71269.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 74
I learned a very long time ago when I had my old single screw Mainship that the boat only did one thing. It backed to port and did that very well and consistantly.
Once I got that thru my thick skull
biggrin.gif
*I had no problems at all. Backing into anywhere was a* matter of planning for the wind/current because the boat only did one thing...it backed to port.
Some days were a 2 slip wind, some a 3 slip wind, etc. depending on how hard it was blowing.

I've seen a lot of chatter about articulating and fish tail rudders and such on other lists.* All seem to agree that they provide enormous maneuvering improvements when going forward.* Performance in reverse isn't quite as clear to me.* But ... it's a low cost mod so I'm going to give it a shot and cobble something up over the winter.

Attachments

• rudder.jpg
    rudder.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 67
Ah the old twins versus singles.* And as they say, people will defend whichever one they have so... I have twins and love them.* They are beautiful.* If I only had one I'd have half as much to love.* And changing the oil on Saturday only took about an hour, and that was including dealing with onlookers, borrowing things from people, etc.* A small price to pay for TWO things of beauty.* AND I can stand in the MIDDLE of the engine room.* Who cares if there is a side to each engine I can barely see, let alone access?* Those with a single have a motor in the middle of the engine room.* Can they even stand up on the outsides of the engine?* What is the big deal with being able to walk ALL THE WAY AROUND?* Aren't you all stooped over??*

Ok I am being facetious, but my engines ARE beautiful and I do like having two as I can spin my boat in circles very easily.* You never know when THAT will come in handy.

Attachments

• engines.jpg
    engines.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 60
PG,You must like blue. We single screw dudes (nothing to do w one night stands) are jealous and NEEEED to criticize Something. Yes PG your twins are pretty. But many twins are a bear to service. You must be lucky. Engine manufacturers try to put all the service things on one side of the engine but when thats on the outboard side of a twin * * ...... .

mmmmm... shiny.....

biggrin.gif

changing the fuel filters on the port engine is going to be ENTERTAINING to say the least.

BaltimoreLurker wrote:

I've seen a lot of chatter about articulating and fish tail rudders and such on other lists.* All seem to agree that they provide enormous maneuvering improvements when going forward.* Performance in reverse isn't quite as clear to me.* But ... it's a low cost mod so I'm going to give it a shot and cobble something up over the winter.
Yes* O ambitious one,

*Please do and let me know how it works out.
I am not worthy and am afraid to try something such as your intent.

SD

Pineapple Girl wrote:*I can spin my boat in circles very easily.*

* I can do the same although I do have a big rudder. With a bit o Power she truns right around. Not so good in reverse.* Gotta love that prop wash.

SD

Pineapple Girl wrote:

Ah the old twins versus singles.* And as they say, people will defend whichever one they have so... I have twins and love them.* They are beautiful.* If I only had one I'd have half as much to love.* And changing the oil on Saturday only took about an hour, and that was including dealing with onlookers, borrowing things from people, etc.* A small price to pay for TWO things of beauty.* AND I can stand in the MIDDLE of the engine room.* Who cares if there is a side to each engine I can barely see, let alone access?* Those with a single have a motor in the middle of the engine room.* Can they even stand up on the outsides of the engine?* What is the big deal with being able to walk ALL THE WAY AROUND?* Aren't you all stooped over??*

Ok I am being facetious, but my engines ARE beautiful and I do like having two as I can spin my boat in circles very easily.* You never know when THAT will come in handy.
I love my twins too, but...

it looks tight in there above the motors...* The outboard filters might be a PIA to change.* The dipsticks are both inboard I guess.** Are your fuel tanks outboard of the motors?* if so how do you get at them?* Where is the genny?* do you use it like a step like I do?

Also...* have you blown a tranny and got home to get it repaired on your good motor?* Got into a tight place 'cause you could motor like heck...* avoid hitting an a-hole on a Jetski from great tough old transmissions?

Sometimes I wish I had one.*Sometimes I'm glad I have two.

'Nuff said.

"For example a Cummins 6bt 220 at 1600 rpm produces 155 hp using 3.5 gph
A Cummins 6bta 270 at 1400 rpm produces 155 hp using 2.9 gph. (data taken from mechanical enignes circa 2002)"

Sorry Jay the usual dealer Prop Graph disinformation GOT YA!

155hp at 1600 is what the engine could produce ,, on a dyno if loaded, but 3.5 GPH is all the prop installed can absorb at that RPM,.

THe con is the mfg props the boat for rated RPM at wide open throttle , and then uses a "Prop Graph" a simple table to claim fuel burn.

A better way to obtain some sort of realistic info is to see if the converter has gen set tables , then usually 1200, 1500, and 1800 fuel burn at load can be seen.

OF course if you could get a "Fuel Map" all and any questions would be solved.

Sorry Jay the usual dealer Prop Graph disinformation GOT YA!

I don't think so. You* missed the point which is using the same mfgs info to compare similar engines. It doesn't matter if it's realistic to a boat or not, it's a comparison to each other using the same rules whether it's disinformation or not.

Pineapple Girl wrote:

who has to stoop??? mine has 5'10" headroom... I do have to bend over a little. I do remember those days with my* Grand Banks... crawling around on all fours to service the Iron Beast.. crawling over all kind of hot and pokie things, and my GB was a single and still a P.I.T.A. to work on!, so I sort of do remember your pain.* I do know that if a single slow boat ( like mine ) doesn't have a rudder as big as a barn door it will not turn around in anything close to it's boat length... a really big rudder is the key.* Oh and just for the record... I cannot actually walk around my engine... without stepping over the prop shaft!
HOLLYWOOD

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Friday 24th of September 2010 07:43:01 AM

"It doesn't matter if it's realistic to a boat or not, it's a comparison to each other using the same rules whether it's disinformation or not."

The next place they get YA is with DIFFERENT "rules" for the prop graph!

One has to read and compare the different add agency graphs to be able to compare them.

OR its Apples and Oranges , and confusion.

THe fuel consumption will seem very different with each different set of prop rules.

I made the mistake of going to a Seattle Boats Afloat show this past weekend.* This is my new dream boat (and, unfortuantely will likely remain a dream).
http://www.seaspirityachts.com/passagemaker60.shtml

So, if about 2 million of you would just send me a dollar each....I agree, I too looked at that and other great boats. Still, it looks a LOT like our Defever 49.* So, perhaps you could reel in your expectations and look at the 49, all while saving about $2,750,000.00* Sure you won't be crossing oceans, but with the pocket change you save, you could put her on Dockwise to about anywhere in the world, every year for ten years and still save money............Arctic Traveller

Jenifer,* if you want to make those Perkins even easier to service,* convert the two CAV fuel filters to a spin on type.(especially the outboard ones)* Conversion kits are inexpensive and the spin on filters are less expensive and far easier to install. ...........Arctic Traveller

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom