A Krogen in Europe – A New Chapter Begins for Dauntless and its Intrepid Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will you have delorme still? Is it just a two day trip?

I hope this time you'll be taking along a proper quantity of libation for "splicing the main brace".:)

Yes Delorme is on.
I'll keep it in till Waterford and then turn it in again when I leave Waterford, hopefully I'm March.

Just had my first Ireland casualty.
The fishermen on the second boat in is leaving early, so we decided to move DAUNTLESS to the dock.

But we shoe horned her in here, but I hit my Hella driving light and broke it's lens.

But had a great talk with the son, as I had spoken to his father last week.

Some interesting tidbits, the two boats behind me have ,Gardner engines, 136 hp. His boat has a '96 Cat, inline 6, 200hp, they've rebuilt it twice, but also love it.

Them having AIS has also made quite a difference, as similar to our experience, ships now don't ruin then down anymore.

According to the father, the only thing ship officers look at us the AIS.

I'll be reattach ing the Paravane tomorrow, then leaving.

I'm having a hot toddy now.

ForumRunner_20140917_201127.jpg

ForumRunner_20140917_201148.jpg

ForumRunner_20140917_201204.jpg

ForumRunner_20140917_201225.jpg

ForumRunner_20140917_201243.jpg

ForumRunner_20140917_201301.jpg

Well, it's only proper that after you drug us crew all along on your pond crossing that you not kick us back to our shores upon your arrival! Thanks for inviting us to stay on for the next leg!

Ditto Animal. I'm looking forward to the next phase of "our" journey. It's been fun, though nerve-wracking too. I'm having a blast and hope an eBook is at the end of this journey.

I'll need to buy that.

Shoe horned, I guess so! Looks like you had at least six inches on the bow and a foot on the stern. Probably did it with a 20 knot breeze too! Seriously have a great trip to Waterford.
Here's to your toddy!

Richard, tomorrow history might be made in the UK with the Scottish vote for independence. Keep us posted as to the local feelings on this situation.

There is another traveler a bit like yourself that has taken on the challenge of crossing the Atlantic, but the other direction from England to the US. His name is Colin Hales, his average speed was about 100 kt faster than yours in a 600 lb KR2 homebuilt plane. He was in Oshkosh for the EAA fly-in and now in California for a gathering of other KR plane builders. Here is his blog, to make reading it easier, use your cursor to highlight the text to change the text from dark blue to white on the black background.

KR-2 Worldtour: August 2014

Richard, tomorrow history might be made in the UK with the Scottish vote for independence. Keep us posted as to the local feelings on this situation.

There is another traveler a bit like yourself that has taken on the challenge of crossing the Atlantic, but the other direction from England to the US. His name is Colin Hales, his average speed was about 100 kt faster than yours in a 600 lb KR2 homebuilt plane. He was in Oshkosh for the EAA fly-in and now in California for a gathering of other KR plane builders. Here is his blog, to make reading it easier, use your cursor to highlight the text to change the text from dark blue to white on the black background.

KR-2 Worldtour: August 2014

I wanted to build a KR2S when I was a pilot and worked for my FBO.Those little planes are pretty fast.Glasair was another one.I took care of two of those.One a tail dragger with retractable mains and a fixed tricycle gear.Both were refitted with full glass cockpit instrumentation.

I just had the best croissant and Danish ice ever had. Fresh from the oven and if Julie ever had the time, she'll tell you, I know nothing about boats, compared to my knowledge of pastries!

Bought oven warm from the local supermarket, where they proudly announce, all their baked goods are made upstairs every morning starting at 2 a.m.

This has so disappeared in the US.

Ok Don Quixote, move on.

I'm rigging my new pole now that I've finished my coffee. When that's done, I'm outta here.

ForumRunner_20140918_083105.jpg

ForumRunner_20140918_083138.jpg

Were you able to get your poles mounted? Did you shove off?

Paravanes rigged and I'm hot to trot, but am on a weather hold.

The fishermen, whose boat is just ahead and outside of Dauntless, came by this morning to take the food off the boat he had put on last night.

He'd been planning on leaving early this morning.
Seems another fisher called him to tell him the winds were "fresh"
That's 20kts plus sheet short steep waves.

I have two hours to go south, to get around Mizen Head, then 20 hours, NE.

I'll take two days to do it, but I'm not doing that with this winds. I need the normal westerly to return.

Bye the way, a few winters back, they had 120 kts on this dock from the west.

Bye the way, a few winters back, they had 120 kts on this dock from the west.

Holy Big Winds, Batman!

120 knots! In Ireland! In the Winter! :eek::nonono:

WOW. Maybe this is why they build the houses out of stone! :D

Later,
Dan

Good morning Richard, How does the weather look for today to get underway? Do you plan to travel straight thru or anchor overnight somewhere?

ForumRunner_20140919_175441.jpg

ForumRunner_20140919_175504.jpg

ForumRunner_20140919_175534.jpg

ForumRunner_20140919_175619.jpg

Now I better understand why the Krogens are so salty.

Good morning Richard, How does the weather look for today to get underway? Do you plan to travel straight thru or anchor overnight somewhere?

Leaving st 7:30, 2 hours before low tide, so that I get to Mizen Head at the turn of the tide. Then I'll have the flood with me.
Was going to anchor x but now the fishers tell me to dock at kinsdale.

Then Sunday it's on to Dunemore East, I'll dock and Monday morning the fuel truck all come (at a price unheard of in the milk the middle class EU) and I'll be set for the winter.

Then in whether Waterford by noon.

Now I better understand why the Krogens are so salty.

You are quite correct. The profiles are remarkably similar, along with air draft. I must say however that your Dauntless is much prettier. What a girl. The K42 has wonderful lines.

ForumRunner_20140920_075200.jpg

View attachment 32996

ForumRunner_20140920_075306.jpg

A good Dauntless day to get to sea.

Next stop, tonight, somewhere near Kinsdale.

I believe Delorme is on and sending.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140920_075244.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140920_075244.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 87
I'm using the last, 40 gal, of the old fuel.

For some reason I will not be as worried about the fuel this time. :) Have a good ride over there!

My anchorage.
I could have gone to Kinsdale, which is on the other (east) side of this peninsula.

But it was time for nature.
We missed each other.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140920_190259.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140920_190259.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 92
  • ForumRunner_20140920_190731.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140920_190731.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 87
Incredible shore line. How deep is it where you are anchored?

ForumRunner_20140920_191541.jpg

ForumRunner_20140920_191748.jpg

ForumRunner_20140920_191825.jpg

32' deep
Maybe 10ft tide
I put out 200' chain
Winds are light here as I'm protected by the land to north

Wow, with that shoreline I would have expected it to be much deeper. You know how we think in Florida.

That is pretty coastline....

As long as there is not a storm and the engine is working. :D

Was that a building on the cliff in the post 50 photos or just more rock?

Later,
Dan

That's stunning! Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Richard, remember that when the good Lord made time he made plenty of it, you won't use it all up, stay cool, work with nature and take your time.
The 5 most lonely places on this earth are the desert, the arctic's, the mountain's the sky and the sea. I've sampled them all and the sea is the most fear some.
Not for nothing are sailors the most God fearing people.
Stay safe, the tidal ranges can be fearsome on the next leg of your journey.
I'll be following in your wake next July in Snow Mouse en route to Dunkirk..
Fair winds and safe harbours.

That is pretty coastline....

As long as there is not a storm and the engine is working. :D

Was that a building on the cliff in the post 50 photos or just more rock?

Later,
Dan

It was a lookout made of rocks

Richard, remember that when the good Lord made time he made plenty of it, you won't use it all up, stay cool, work with nature and take your time.
The 5 most lonely places on this earth are the desert, the arctic's, the mountain's the sky and the sea. I've sampled them all and the sea is the most fear some.
Not for nothing are sailors the most God fearing people.
Stay safe, the tidal ranges can be fearsome on the next leg of your journey.
I'll be following in your wake next July in Snow Mouse en route to Dunkirk..
Fair winds and safe harbours.

Interesting.

Maybe that's why the Atlantic wasn't so daunting for me.

I've had many life threatening situations in the arctic, virtually none on the water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom