Hello World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamIam_Sam

Vessel Name
Matty Beau
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee
Greetings Group.

I am a total wannabe who has never spent more than a few hours aboard any type of vessel; power or sail, trawler, skiff or scooner. Yet it is my dream to one day soon begin the liveaboard lifestyle. After extensive (some might say obsessive) research, consisting of mostly online listings, YouTube vids, reviews, specs, blog posts and the like, my choice for the ideal first boat for me is the KK Manatee. I've chosen the Manatee for the following reasons, not necessarily in order of importance:

Size - as a newcomer to the boating world, a 36 footer will be just enough for me to handle as I learn the essentials of safety, seamanship, navigation, handling, docking, etc.

Price - again, as my first foray into "the hole in the ocean where your money disappears forever," a boat with a reasonable price tag seems a good place to start, considering both initial purchase price and maintenance and operating costs.

Space/Accommodation - The layout of the Manatee is ideal for my needs. The boat would be the perfect "waterfront condo" for myslef during the week and to take for the occasional weekend or extended cruise with friends and family members.

Other boats I have considered (and may upgrade to at some years down the road assuming a positive outcome to the initial endeavor): KK 42, North Pacific 42, DeFever 49 Pilothouse, Symbol 45 Pilothouse...

I will be attending TrawlerFest 2014 in Baltimore at the end of September. Would anyone happen to know if there will be any Manatee owners participating in the event? As mentioned, since most of my research so far has been virtual, the obvious next step is to step aboard a real life example to see how it fits and get some feedback from actual owners.

More about me... I am originally from Baltimore but have been living in Texas for 13 years. Plans for 2015 include moving back east to the Balto/Washington Chesapeake Bay area (job options in the works), probably renting an apartment and keeping an eye out for that perfect first boat.

Thanks for any guidance or insight anyone would care to offer and appreciate all the information this forum provides.

Sam

Welcome to the forum Sam.

Ted

Welcome Sam. Your approach is sound, you will get good help here. Take your time, buying a boat is something you want to get right.

Hi Sam: I don't think that there will be any Manatees participating in Trawler Fest, even though there may be several in town at that time. A better spot to get aboard a Manatee would probably be the Krogen Cruisers Rendezvous in Solomons, MD, Oct. 8-12. Contact this e-mail for details. sueparry4410@gmail.com

Or, if the Krogen Brokerage has any Manatees for sale, you might find an example at the Krogen Open House in Annapolis, Oct. 16-18. Call Krogen Yachts in Annapolis or Stuart, FL to ask about pre-owned Manatees in the brokerage. 772-281-0171

smiley-signs060.gif

Welcome aboard.
Don't worry we all had to start somewhere, the beauty of the modern day and age is the amount of hard won information now available at your fingertips gained by guys over the years.
I've always found that if I needed information it was better to feel a fool and ask a question, than blindly charge on and confirm it.
You are so lucky to have found the right forum and the help available will astound you.

I am a total wannabe who has never spent more than a few hours aboard any type of vessel; power or sail, trawler, skiff or scooner

Personally, I think you need to spend some time cruising before making a decision. Among many other things, you don't know if the boating life is for you (such as seasickness, tolerance of rough conditions, ability to deal with on the water issues) . You don't know what ergonomics of running, handling, fixing and maintaining a boat matter to you or that fit your capabilities. I have seen so many people rush into this with no preparation and no experience, and end up with a fail. I'd advise taking some courses that include on the water training, and then start by chartering various types of boats. Then you'll know 1) this game is for you and 2) what the right boat for you is.

Personally, I think you need to spend some time cruising before making a decision. Among many other things, you don't know if the boating life is for you (such as seasickness, tolerance of rough conditions, ability to deal with on the water issues) . You don't know what ergonomics of running, handling, fixing and maintaining a boat matter to you or that fit your capabilities. I have seen so many people rush into this with no preparation and no experience, and end up with a fail. I'd advise taking some courses that include on the water training, and then start by chartering various types of boats. Then you'll know 1) this game is for you and 2) what the right boat for you is.

Correct Caltexflanc.

SamIam_Sam

There are other boat types rather than a trawler that are much better dock condos with occasional cruising capability.

They can be much cheaper to buy usually (like houseboats...and there are good models despite some opinions out there) or other cookie cutter type cruisers that are capable of faster speeds that will get you to destinations and back while still in the work mode.

Jumping from not having any experience in boating into a liveaboard lifestyle and investing in a boat that costs more than you can afford to lose a big chunk of if things don't meet your likes....is a pretty big jump.

Not saying don't do it...just it's a bigger leap than you might think...I'm on my 3rd liveaboard (and know/met plenty of other's up/down the Atlantic Coast) and it's definitely something that is more in your blood than just on your mind.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom