View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalman View Post
I have always wanted to be a boater, how many times have you heard that? I can't drive by a marina without stopping and looking over the boats and saying to myself "how great would it be to have a boat like that one" I'm 59 now and finally retired last year and my dream is still intact. At some point Over the last five years, a thought creeped into my mind, I can't shake it, 'a trawler was the way to go."
I don't have any experience with boats, navigation, chart reading, setting an anchor for Pete's sake. I really need your help and guidance from you savvy seaman. Safety and economics are my initial primary concerns. Do you advise on schools, courses, trawler training, etc that I should be taking now, before buying a boat. To give you an idea, I'd like a small trawler to start, say a Ranger R-25 or 27. My thought is, take two years and study, investigate, research the basics, then by a boat and cruise inland lakes to gain experience before coastal cruising. Am I mad or on the right track? Please, any advise?
Are you in Durango, Colorado? If so, where are these marinas whereof you speak? Where are you thinking about boating? I'm asking as that does play a role in our answers. All lakes and rivers are not created equal.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote