Richard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lu568ke

Hello, everyone. I am a new member and have not used this site before.

I have a Grand Banks 32 with no generator and no A.C. (no need for A.C.). At my marina slip I have 30-amp power with a cord that has, I believe, an L5-30Rplug with a twist lock mechanism were it plugs into my boat.

I am considering buying a Yamaha EF 2400iSHC portable gasoline generator (or
comparable Honda) for my boat to power my battery charger, lighting, small appliances, etc., within the amp and wattage limits of the generator.

This is my question:

Is there an adapter cord or plug of some kind that will permit me to run electric from the generator directly to my boat outlet so I can run electric through my boat electrical system? Yamaha tells me there is a kit to do that for RVs but they were unable to answer my question insofar as my boat is concerned. The marina where I slip the boat is not very familiar with the portable units.

To anyone who has an answer, thank you very much.

Richard
Portland, Maine
rchenry1@comcast.net

Welcome Richard.

I have a similar setup with a Honda generator and use an adapter like this.

30222-yw-150x150.jpg

Google search 15A to 30A adapter. You'll find lots.

Thanks, Al.

It looks like the male end of the adapter you display is a standard three-prong that plugs into the generator. The female end of my shore power cord would plug into my boat connection with the twist lock. The male end of the cord would plug into the female end of the adapter. Do I have that right? Now that I know what I'm looking for, I would think Hamilton Marine or another marine store would have it.

I'm fairly new to all this and appreciate your input.

Richard

The Honda at least, but maybe also the Yamaha, has a Companion model. It has the 30 amp outlet that your shore power cord will plug right into. It also costs $100 more than the standard generator.

The only advantage I can see over using the adapter is that the twist lock connector is positive and can't be pulled loose.

David

Good to know, David. I'll check. I'm kind of leaning toward the Yamaha but am surprised the product experts there were unable to answer my question. Thanks very much for the information.

Richard

There are several threads on Trawler Forum dealing with these portable generators. Here's a recent one, but there are many others. Use the search feature to find more.

Good to know, David. I'll check. I'm kind of leaning toward the Yamaha but am surprised the product experts there were unable to answer my question. Thanks very much for the information.

Richard

I expect that they were able to, just not willing to. There are liability issues with any recommendations that they might make, since portable generators are not certified for marine use. That said, people do it all the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom