shipping costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinped

I just read an article in passagemaker concerning a couple who purchased a boat in the Washington area,intend to cruise to Alaska,then ship the boat from the Seattle area to Florida.For a boat approximately 50 foot,does anyone have a ballpark figure for the shipping costs.I realize it is most likely boat specific,that is why I am asking for a ballpark.Just curious whether this could be in my future budget.Thanks ahead of time.

Sounds like a really great idea and trip. Need to wait for someone who actually has done it but when we looked into it the cost was $25,000 or more. Kinda put it out of what we were willing to do. But actual costs from folks who have do it may be much more accurate. The info we got was very second hand. Good luck. Some great boats are up in the NW.

I would check shipping costs to the Great Lakes and Houston, Tx areas for options. If I remember...the further you come East, the costs rise a bit due to costlier permits and routing for road clearances.

But that's assuming you might like doing the rest of the trip to Fla on her own bottom....if you had to pay fuel/crew for the rest of the way by water...finishing the trip on land I would bet would be cheaper.

thanks for your replies.Roger,what size boat are you referring to? Im thinking the costs of bringing her around on her own bottom would not be that far off 25k,and you save the wear and tear.just thinking about being greedy to be able to enjoy cruising on both coasts.

I checked with one of the over the water yacht transport companies in the last year or so and it was something like $30K from Vancouver BC to Florida.

There's not many 50' boats that could not make the trip on their own bottom. The only issue is that you'd have to have the time to do it. You'd also be earning one of the merit badges I'd like to get though. :)

As far as shipping, I like the idea that psneeld came up with, which is shipping overland from somewhere like San Deigo to somewhere like Houston or even Brownsville, TX.

Last edited:
In 2008, we shipped a new Northwest 45 from Vancouver to the Miami area of Florida aboard either Dockwise or Yachtpath (memory failing as to which one) and the cost was $42,000. I can't imagine it has gone down any. I just got a quote this past week for a 50' X 14' boat, to be trucked from Rhode Island to Anacortes. The quote was $21,000. This because the boat is not too tall and can go under most bridges. Many 50' boats (like the Northwest) can't be trucked due to the size.

Overland is definitely not an option.The boat im interested in is either a Selene,or KK.They have the range,but doing the Big U is a huge commitment.Retiring is within sight,so time will not be an issue.I am from the east coast,and that is where I will retire.The thought of doing BC and Alaska is a dream cruise.The options are to charter,but at over 5 grand a week,that becomes too expensive too quick.My thoughts were to buy in the Seattle area,cruise the northwest for a year,then ship to Florida.There seems to be more choices for trawlers on the west coast,hence maybe a slightly cheaper price,which might offset the thirty or so grand.Oh well,I can dream!!!

Overland is definitely not an option.The boat im interested in is either a Selene,or KK.They have the range,but doing the Big U is a huge commitment.Retiring is within sight,so time will not be an issue.I am from the east coast,and that is where I will retire.The thought of doing BC and Alaska is a dream cruise.The options are to charter,but at over 5 grand a week,that becomes too expensive too quick.My thoughts were to buy in the Seattle area,cruise the northwest for a year,then ship to Florida.There seems to be more choices for trawlers on the west coast,hence maybe a slightly cheaper price,which might offset the thirty or so grand.Oh well,I can dream!!!

You could just play it by ear...

You'll be retired, no schedules.

The PACNW while not the worst place to be in the winter is certainly not the best.

Warmer, less rainy weather will be calling you. You'll want to head south anyway. Places like Southern California and Mexico will intriguing when sitting in your boat in the rain.

You never know. The great U might seem like a good idea then. Or shipping might seem like a good idea. By then you'll know which way you want to go.

Buy right, cruise and sell...maybe you can sneak in under the costs you are looking at.

Plus buying a boat fitted out for the area may cost a lot to adapt to the other...as in swapping diesel fired heaters for more A/C's.

You may think about that in reverse... a boat might be cheap enough to go though the hassel of buying East...shipping west (as no one else want's to do it...) cruising hen selling as the prices could be high enough to offset some expenses.

Of just buy a bit smaller...say a good Nordic Tug or similar...enjoy your Alaska Cruise...sell and buy bigger back East.

All a gamble but what in life isn't? Too many people I know pull off miracles like what I suggested...think it through if nothing else works for you.

It was in that 50 to 55 foot range. Most in this range can't go by truck. Seems I remember a thread talking about this and the cheapest way is by ship. It even ran comparable to bringing it on her own bottom, fuel, canal fees, dockage and provisions for a long trip, if I remember correctly. Might try to search on here and see if you can find it. They had the cost all broke down. Darn, I wish I would have kept that. Sorry.

It was in that 50 to 55 foot range. Most in this range can't go by truck. Seems I remember a thread talking about this and the cheapest way is by ship. It even ran comparable to bringing it on her own bottom, fuel, canal fees, dockage and provisions for a long trip, if I remember correctly. Might try to search on here and see if you can find it. They had the cost all broke down. Darn, I wish I would have kept that. Sorry.

The issue I have always had with shipping is there is no fun in writing a check to a shipper vs. ( I have done both) the experience of a lifetime of cruising the boat. I guarantee half of the fun is between the East and West coasts.
HOLLYWOOD

In 2010 I bought my 55' boat in the Detroit area had the flybridge removed and the boat and flybridge shipped to Portland, OR. The flybridge had to come on its own trailer with its own truck.

Cost for boat was in the range of $20K.

The trip FROM the west coast is a snap compared to bucking the winds and current going UP the left coast.

Purchase the boat on the left coast , enjoy the inside passage and Vancouver area , then blow down the coast , enjoy Mexico, the Canal and you can decide if straight out to the Carib , or up the US east coast is the choice.

Cheaper than truck or boat transport and most boats are FAR better for being operated , an extra few hundred hours on the diesel is no big deal.

thanks to all for some great insight.gives me much to think about

You can also boat south and then decide as SevenStar ships from Ensenada and Manzanillo, Mexico as well as Golfito, Costa Rica. And Dockwise ships from Golfito. They save you a good bit vs. Vancouver and Victoria BC as the ship from BC stops in one or more of those locations on the way.

So could head south and delay the decision until San Diego or so. Then decide whether to go south a short distance and ship it. Or to take it the entire way yourself.

Some typical shipping routes:

SevenStar
Vancouver, Ensenada, Manzanillo, Palm Beach FL...every two months
Victoria BC, Ensenada, La Paz/Manzanillo, Golfito, Palm Beach FL. Next scheduled October, then November, then January.

Dockwise
Golfito to Port Everglades February 2015

thankyou band b.The question I have for a west coast boater is are there enough marinas to stop in approx. every sixty milesFiguring 8 knots x eight hours) down to san diego,or are overnight passages required?

thankyou band b.The question I have for a west coast boater is are there enough marinas to stop in approx. every sixty milesFiguring 8 knots x eight hours) down to san diego,or are overnight passages required?

From Neah Bay to Westport, WA would be an overnight for you.

In Northern California there is a stretch from Crescent City to Humboldt Bay to Noyo to Bodega Bay. All manageable within daylight (might be more than 8 but less than 12 hours) except perhaps Humboldt Bay to Noyo. That one would require an overnight for you. Other than that you're fine to Ensenada.

Others may be more familiar than I am but thats the two overnights I'd see for you based on our plans.

If you go south of Ensenada you will want to be able to do overnighters..there are a few spots where it is better to stay at sea vs. roll your guts out in a crappy anchorage.

Plus being at sea at night is a great experience. Nothing better than raiding the fridge @ 0200 and eating a sammy while your feet are propped up on the wheel and listening to my collection of Pink, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, and U2..ahh the life!

Hollywood

Last edited:
All good ideas.

I think the boat is a Krogen.

I'd hate the idea of having to half disassemble my new boat to put it on a truck.

It'll probably never be water tight again, but that's just superstition.

I once arranged rail shipment for a 45' fisheries research trawler from Prince Rupbert BC to Thunder Bay On. It was over 20 yrs ago but costs were reasonable, around $10K I think. A cradle had to be built for the boat so it could be fastened to a flatbed rail car. That was done in house so I don't know what the cost was for that. Once you get to the Great Lakes you could bring her the rest of the way on her own bottom.

The US $ goes a bit farther in Canada too!

Just another option.

I recently priced out the shipping of a 32 Nordic Tug from Fort Lauderdale to Ventura CA for about $10,500

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom