Another Newbie to the Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QMCMSS

Just wrapping up the purchase of a 47 foot lein wah with twin ford Lehmans the boat is in San Diego and I plan to spend several days in San Diego shaking her down and then heading north to my home in the bay area. I would like to take my time heading up the coast. Probably leaving San Diego in early October. My navigation skills are pretty good as I spent 30 years in the Navy as a navigator. I have a great deal of sailboat experience but limited power. So far the trip looks like this. Hoping to make 8 knots good.

Day 1: Final Shake Down off San Diego anchor in Mission Bay
Day 2: Mission Bay to Catalina(Avalon)(75 miles)
Day 3: Visit Catalina
Day 4: Catalina to Ventura Harbor (85 Miles)

Not sure of whats next and am open to any ideas. I would like to keep my daily passages under 100 miles. Does anyone know of a good website for planning my trip. Is my planning speed of 8 knots reasonable. Other advice or info is wanted and welcome. Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome aboard. The sailboat experience is a good background -- you will not have a problem. Powerboats are easier (my opinion - others may differ. :)

Welcome aboard, Q.

I've never made the trip, but others here have done it successfully. If in saying "Hoping to make 8 knots good" you mean 8 Kts VMG (velocity made good), that might be a bit high, but 8 Kts avg fwd speed might be doable. You'll be facing the pounding surf for a good part of the ride which will slow you a bit.

Charlie's Charts would have good info on stops along the way.

Welcome aboard Master Chief. There are a few retired members of the mess here. :D

When I came up I went from Newport to Santa Barbara and planned to stay at coho till the weather changed. It didn't and I went back to Wilmington for a year. From Ventura I'd go around to Port San Louie and on to San Simeon. Not much after that till Monterey if there is any swell. Sweet trip if you pick your weather.

Back
Top Bottom