Need Help for Restoration 41foot Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Never Mind

Hi fellow boaters,* 1984/41footer Taiwanese Litton Tiger, want to restore/refit the boat. My boat is located in Ontario, Lake Simcoe, Canada.

Can someone please tell me where can I have it restored/refit to like new condition.
Any shipyard or workshop you would recommend, I dont mind to truck it to a short distance*and have the work done in this winter.

I have pictures available.
Thank You.

-- Edited by Never Mind on Wednesday 15th of September 2010 09:37:56 AM

Never Mind: You probably know this already, but you can buy a nearly new boat for about the same as you can rebuild and refit a 1984 41 footer to NEW condition. Plus the investment is a lot sounder if you buy a "well liked" model.

That said, Nova Scotia is a great place to rebuild - check out the article in June 2010 PassageMaker magazine.

What do you mean by restore like new, interior, exterior, hull, engines, running gear, electronics?* If you have other people do the work it could be as much as a new boat!* If you can give some more detail information it would help.

We bought a 1978, Roughwater 58 ft Taiwan trawler that we have restored mostly ourselves which has taken 15 year. 50+ grand and hundreds of hours of our time.* *******

I live on the West coast so cant suggest any yards.* Ask around in your marina and then look at the work and the cost.

As pointed out, Be CAREFULL. A restoration if done by a yard will be expensive, likely more than the boat is worth.

Most older boats get worked on by us, ourselves, as time goes by.

The large jobs that require expensive equipment or*a high level of expertise* in a short time are the ones that should be farmed out.

If this boat is new to you I suggest you do only what MUST BE DONE now to keep you and the boat safe and from further damage, not perfect, just safe. Leave all else untill you have had and USED the boat for a year.* That way you can think about what you want and how it will affect the boat.

Priorites may and likely will change. If you spend a pile of time and money too soon you may regret it when you realize you were too hasty.

-- Edited by C lectric on Thursday 16th of September 2010 11:06:47 PM

Maybe, if you haven't done so already, have a knowledgeable, independent surveyor survey it and give you an idea of the total before going too far.
Steve W

Thanks for the response.

I have something in my mind, the restoration that I like most is the same as ..

http://albinrestoration.blogspot.com/2010/06/ok-finally-time-for-update.html#comments

I can hire someone to do it in a no rush time frame, if I can have a place to do it indoor in the winter, exterior work in summer.
the boat is structural in good condition, one*owner since new, only less maintenance,
someone can give me advise.

Somebody like to work on boat, handy, who can handle the project, dont expect him do everything, he can subtrade. My location is Ontario.

Maybe some will tell me how to hook up with the Albin guy, the Albin forum seems not
working.

-- Edited by Never Mind on Saturday 18th of September 2010 08:47:49 PM

Never Mind:* You should email the guy who did the restoration on the Albin 36 Trawler and ask him how many hours he has into it.* He may even tell you what he has spent to date on materials.** I sure the list would like to know.

If you find some one do do the work, make sure he/she is qualified and*experienced to work around boats.* Carpenters and ship wrights require different skills and experience.*

Good luck.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Paz, BCS

A Brand new boat about 3 years old will have much of the depreciation out in price and if selected well will not require a rebuild.

The only way to get the massive amount of man hours required on an old boat , is bring it to somewhat near new looking is to ship to China or Viet Nam where $300 a month labor is skilled enough to do the rebuild.

If it becomes a hobby , you can get what you want , at your expense of a few thousand man hours , and IF you do a good job of repowering , re engineering a modern electrical system ect, ect, you may receive $.35 on the dollar for the machinery , and ZERO for your years of labor.

Expect NO return on electric toys , radios , nav gear , as there outdated by time there installed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom