Teak pilot house doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally got the sweeps and jams done .Forward jam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 124
And aft sweep .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 132
Very nice!

Those look great, Marty!! Now I've got door envy. Can I ship my doors to you?

From one mule to the other, that is plum purdy...

Those look great, Marty!! Now I've got door envy. Can I ship my doors to you?
Wine for woodwork ? We're having a California Pinot Butternut tonight .

Mr Pack Mule ( and others)
Curious to know what you are using as a finish on your doors and in particular your cap rails.
I have been using Seafin teak oil, many coats a year and am not happy with the finish or the short time it stays looking good.
Please share your secret(s)

Mr Pack Mule ( and others)
Curious to know what you are using as a finish on your doors and in particular your cap rails.
I have been using Seafin teak oil, many coats a year and am not happy with the finish or the short time it stays looking good.
Please share your secret(s)
TR ,
We use Epifanes clear . We always thin the first few coats . The first by 50% then 25%, then 10 to 15% on the rest .its best to put finish on around mid morning when humidity is low and sand between coats . We use high quality brushes and take good care of them . This is six coats and could use more . They say the magic is the 13th coat . Don't think we will see the magic . One very big advantage on our finish is that all of teak is new and has never been varnished .
You notice I said we ,my wife does a huge part of our varnish work :flowers:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 122
Greetings,
I didn't review the whole thread so apologies if I'm repeating myself. Long story short, we've scraped our brightwork down to bare wood, applied one coat of Cetol Marine for color and overcoated with 3 coats of Cetol gloss. Nice and shiny but time will tell as to longevity. We've found Cetol products much easier to apply, recoat and repair when necessary as opposed to varnish.

My Dad was a painter all his life . One of the things he used to say was "treat finish work like a good looking woman , nice and easy ,. Don't lay it on thick in the beginning . Let the varnish and the wood get to know each by thinning the first coats and then lay it on . I used to sit with him at the kitchen table while mom was cooking dinner . He would let me drink coffee him while he talked about the day . He used to smell like coffee and coal oil . Dang good painter . Somehow my wife picked up his talent .
What ever you decide to use ,swear by it because it's just too much work to do otherwise

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom