1986 Mainship 36/26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyDawg86

Good Afternoon Guys,

I'm looking to get a little bit of info on a 1986 Mainship 36/26. It has twin 350 Crusader engines and I'm wondering what type of fuel burn I can expect at cruising. What does it cruise at? I'm guessing about 15kt. What kind of range can I expect on this vessel and how does she ride? I live on the Chesapeake Bay and would like to take this to the Eastern Shore and down to North and South Carolina (I know to head that far I would need to refuel).

To be honest, I've looked at the boat and the guts seem to be there, but I'm not able to take it on sea trials because it's coming through an auction so I want to get people's opinion on it. Thanks for the help!

Greetings,
Mr. 86. Are you allowed a survey on it? Can you get a surveyor to give her a "once over"? No sea trial? You may be buying a money pit.

Depending on the auction I never bid above scrap value for an item such as this including typical buyers premium. Never risk more than you can afford to lose is my best auction advice and decide that number before you get your bidders card.

Good luck

It's an auction I have been to many times. My dad owns a car lot and I help him when I'm home. I know boat means Bust Out Another Thousand and I'm not afraid to get dirty and I have a dollar amount in mind, I just want to make sure it's a good boat over all. I hear a lot of good about Mainships and I want to take some trips with it but don't want a 3' chop to beat the crap out of me. Thanks for the info.

Take a long hard look at the boat for repairs. You know the car game so you know the drill.

Areas that don't quite look the same tap around, move a foot or so away and tap again. Does it sound the same?

If you have access to and know how to use a moisture meter check moisture levels, especially window and deck penetrations.

The mechanicals are a crap shoot but as they're gassers not too unfamiliar to you. Tug on the wiring near the terminals, everything you can touch. Supple or stiff?

Main ships in general are well thought of boats and I've never heard of ride quality complaints. I have heard of wet decks and sagging cabins. Do the doors, hatches and drawers open smoothly or are they bound up? Could indicate sagging support members, puddles in strange spots can too.

Again, good luck

Back
Top Bottom