Lazy man's Heat Exchanger cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bendit

Vessel Name
Pioneer
Vessel Make
Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
The main has been running a little warm under load and the heat exchanger is due for a clean.

The*HE on the Cat 3406 is very large,*a two-man lift*and buried*low in the bilge, below*engine-driven pumps and hoses. There's not enough room to get the end- caps off in place. I didn't want to drain the cooling system as it holds 105 litres*of coolant and it's not due for replacement.*

Fortunately, there*are several zinc position options so I have a Zinc on the top at one end and a plug at the bottom at the other. I drained the seawater from the plug, stuck my finger in and could feel all the calcium etc. on the end of the bundle.*Replaced the*plug and removed the zinc at the other end. With a funnel I* filled the HE with ordinary household white vinegar and left it for two weeks.

When I drained the vinegar a huge amount of "stuff" came with it and the bundle is now clean to the touch. I went for a run yesterday and the engine is running 5deg cooler.

Since this is so easy (and cheap), I'll do it every year!

-- Edited by Bendit on Thursday 26th of August 2010 04:18:23 PM

Good info. Well Done!

That seems like a good idea and I doubt it could hurt anything.* I'm going to try it.

I don't have any plugs but it seems like I could just remove the hoses, plug the outlet, and fill it with vinegar.

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 15th of September 2010 03:35:43 PM

Back
Top Bottom