View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #11
Tunajoe

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Extend the contract and tell them to make the boat right and have them pay for return flight expenses. If the balk, walk. My 2 cents
I was going to have them fix everything, and then have them pay for someone of my choosing to check on it to confirm it was done correctly.
I really don't want to have to fly back again. But would if I have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Can you deal with the owner directly and bypass the broker? If the owner is motivated, it's worth a try.

In regards to the wipers, I had that issue as well. If the shafts aren't corroded it should be an easy fix.
The brokerage owns the boat. It was taken in on trade on a larger NT ( supposedly). I was originally told by the broker that it was owned by a very wealthy man who is a good friend with the owner of the brokerage. The boat has been used sparingly for the last 5 months by the wealthy man who happened to pay the recent $10,000 repair bill. The boat is kept at his private dock at his house.
The rich guy also filled the tank up full prior to the survey. Which I thought was weird. As a result, the performance was off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
My advice was going to be the same as the others to extend the contract requiring them to fix the problems.

However, you suggest you're getting cold feet. Generally there's a reason for that in terms of what you're sensing with the situation. If you really feel in your gut that this is a mistake, walk away. You may not know why other than the obvious, but when you go against a feeling like that you often get burned.

Who chose the surveyor? If you didn't do it independently, not on a broker recommendation, then that is a lesson learned too.

How did the sea trial go? Did the surveyor make any comments regarding the hull or other things? That's assuming you had a regular surveyor in addition to the diesel surveyor.

Now, I wouldn't do anything until I had the report. You need to know all the things that are problematic before extending and giving them time to fix, if you decide to do that.
I do have a gut feeling it may be a mistake, but I think it's more money driven than anything else.
Compared to other bigger, nicer boats the price is nothing. But still, with shipping, it's a lot of money. For me.
I see how much money they spent doing "regular maintenance" in the last 5 months and get a bit nervous thinking about if things break. Plus I know the price will depreciate on a yearly basis.
I think I still haven't calibrated my brain yet

The broker gave me a list of surveyors to help me out. All were SAMS.
I had compiled a list of surveyors and my list had several of the broker's recommended ones.
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote