Sea Trial - New Boat Search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Playing ones cards close to the vest is smart if considering entering negotiations. Boat names, listing links, make & model are all popular Google keywords.

A "savvy" seller would do well to Google search those keywords on his "own" boat whenever an offer comes in to gather possible intel on the potential buyers motivation. Likewise a "savvy" buyer would do well to avoid chatting up his choice in advance of the close.

Yeah, but now it turns out that it's a build to order so where's the need for all the secrecy...

Dave

Not A Custom Boat

Yeah, but now it turns out that it's a build to order so where's the need for all the secrecy...

Dave

Dave, good observation but the boat is not a custom oneoff build. Looked into that with a Downeast some time ago. The boat is one that any of us could purchase, we are just very fortunate the builder respects our experience and is working with us to build a better boat. This is one of the reasons we have focused with this builder and passed on other better known builders who have become too big for the little guy like myself. The deal is not done and I don't want to risk causing any harm to the building thus the tight lip. What I'm trying do is educate others on the process of looking and planning for their builds. Thanks

Dave, good observation but the boat is not a custom oneoff build. Looked into that with a Downeast some time ago. The boat is one that any of us could purchase, we are just very fortunate the builder respects our experience and is working with us to build a better boat. This is one of the reasons we have focused with this builder and passed on other better known builders who have become too big for the little guy like myself. The deal is not done and I don't want to risk causing any harm to the building thus the tight lip. What I'm trying do is educate others on the process of looking and planning for their builds. Thanks
I didn't mean custom one-off by any means... any more than your last 3 Nordies were one-off builds. It would seem that you are simply doing that again, modifying a production boat to suit you. Nothing wrong with that but I'd be shocked if a production manufacturer would be adverse to the free advertising of you explaining why you chose their line and as you explained how they worked with you to build your dream. Heck, maybe you could cut an advertising deal with them.

Dave

I fully respect your right and their right to privacy and am not sure why anyone would have a problem with that. I figure if one wants to share more information they will and it's not really my business why they choose not to. I think working quietly with builders is great too. Certainly how we've done it. Plus until a deal is finalized, there is no deal and everything said until that point can have an influence.

Besides you're building suspense....

We've built much as you are. I'm a strong proponent of semi-custom where the hull and basic structure are proven and then you can modify the interior and decks to your preferences. I also believe in going with the equipment the builder uses most and is most expert in matching where that is possible. Engine combinations that have worked well for them in other boats. And never try to push a builder out of their comfort zone. The best thing that can happen is they say no and send you on your way. The worst is they say yes and the nightmares come later. I can name three builders instantly that in recent years have undertaken something unique and different from their norm and they ended up in litigation.

Well, I'm with Magicbus, frankly. You've lost me as to why all this is all that interesting when we are denied the possibility of knowing what the heck type, size, of vessel you are talking about. I also don't see the need for secrecy at this point. Frankly, I feel that once again, you are being a bit precious...

Well, I'm with Magicbus, frankly. You've lost me as to why all this is all that interesting when we are denied the possibility of knowing what the heck type, size, of vessel you are talking about. I also don't see the need for secrecy at this point. Frankly, I feel that once again, you are being a bit precious...

:iagree:

It sure seems to be his decision, his money and his boat. We are only spectators.
On another note, I love to buy and sell real estate (I'm not an agent). The people around me always know when I'm on the hunt for something new because I share with them what I'm looking for, not specifically what I'm looking at. The reason I stay tight lipped about it is that more that a few times my deals have gone south due to others poking around. Just one mans thoughts...

Well, I'm with Magicbus, frankly. You've lost me as to why all this is all that interesting when we are denied the possibility of knowing what the heck type, size, of vessel you are talking about. I also don't see the need for secrecy at this point.

I'd suggest if one doesn't find it all that interesting, then why are they reading it? Now if he's being paid to post with an understanding he'll make it interesting, then that might be another thing.

Maybe the need for secrecy is a secret and that's the secret that must remain secret....lol.

I just accept what he shares as what he shares. It's his narrative and he can tell it like he wishes.

That's fine, if he feels the need to keep it close to the body because of delicacy of negotiation, I have no issue with that. So why not just stay silent until the deal is done, then bring us in on it. Otherwise it's just a tease exercise…

Thus far, he sounds like a wily old politician we had here in Queensland who was the Premier for years, called Joh Bjelke-Peterson, who when asked questions was a legend for smiling and saying, "aha, that's for me to know, and you to find out".
Really pissed people off, that did…he was legend for a lot of weird sayings actually, so while you are all waiting with baited breath, (careful a fish does not grab your tongue), to hear what the boat is...enjoy some light entertainment by having a laugh at some of Joh's other 'notable' sayings…

Feeding the chooks: a selection of well-known sayings of former Queensland Premier, Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen | Queensland Historical Atlas

Cheers,

Last Post

Well it appears our post has run into some rough waters and our intentions to provide a little insight related to finding the right boat and some of the decisions involved during the process has rubbed a few the wrong way. I have a lot of respect for this great site and it members so to insure we do not cause any more disruption this will be our last post until we sign a contact.

One last comment that may help explain why we are tight lipped. A little over a year ago bout a year ago we singed a LOI with PAE to build a new Nordhavn and unbeknown to us the company posted this on their web-site. Due to unforeseen circumstances we decided to cancel the LOI and felt bad that PAE jumped the gun and made the post. We did end up purchasing a used Nordhavn a few months later. I do not want to have this happen again for the sake of the builder since any LOI or contract cancellation can be viewed as a negative for the company. Thanks to everyone who has responded to date.:)

My current (first) motorboat is satisfactory "until death do us part."

N4061, no need to sound the "last post", even temporarily. I suppose there can be a fine balance in disclosing and retaining information, in your situation. Personally I respect your decision and hope to hear more when you are ready to share.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom