TF Designation for Ocean Crossers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up on Richards adventure and read through all the posts, quite a thing to do alone. I think a name like Offshore Warrior or Blue Water Warrior would be suitable considering what he's going through right now.

A few navy (any country) types might have a giggle or two over the use of "warrior"...

A few navy (any country) types might have a giggle or two over the use of "warrior"...

You're probably right, but he's in a battle just the same. Ever heard the phrase battling the elements.

Greetings,
Mr. DCBD. With all due respect, anyone who willingly goes to sea with a mind to do battle has already lost IMO. Battling the elements to be sure (snow, wind, rain, hail, tornado's, hurricanes etc.) but the sea is not an element and can be a cruel mistress.

Greetings,
Mr. DCBD. With all due respect, anyone who willingly goes to sea with a mind to do battle has already lost IMO. Battling the elements to be sure (snow, wind, rain, hail, tornado's, hurricanes etc.) but the sea is not an element and can be a cruel mistress.

I agree totally, but who said he went to sea with a mind to do battle. I never said that, but if anyone plans to cross oceans and is not prepared to battle the elements (snow, wind, rain, hail, tornado's, hurricanes etc.) excluding the sea (correct, not an element but certainly a factor) has also already lost. IMO.

>but if anyone plans to cross oceans and is not prepared to battle the elements (snow, wind, rain, hail, tornado's, hurricanes etc.) excluding the sea (correct, not an element but certainly a factor) has also already lost. <

Planning is everything , a few sail folks have circumnavigated and not seen winds of over 35K.

They used the right route , the right time of year, and did their homework.

Okay

Passage Maker wasn't going to work for many as it was just too ambiguous a term, that and I was tired of dodging the tomatoes being hurled my direction for reminding folks of the magazine. Several where submitted but through many variations one seemed the most liked and it was Ocean Crosser.

Many thought his boat was aptly named as evidenced by its current voyage thus prompting Dauntless in honor of it. As the name Dauntless is a trait admired by many and has an apropos double meaning that would make it relevant to future new members whom have never seen this thread. Ocean Crosser lacks ambiguity and needs no explanation.

Richards own wishes where heard on this and he figured it best for us to decide thus this thread so....

What do you folks think of "Dauntless Ocean Crosser"?

Here is what it looks like for those who wish to see it as it would appear on a post of his. Trawler Forum - View Single Post - It’s Showtime

Craig, I like "DAUNTLESS AWARD" as it can be bestowed for different types of cruising, but would have to be an outstanding accomplishment. I envision that there would be few of those. We have some intrepid cruisers, and they deserve to be set apart from ordinary. Richard has raised the bar.

Just plain "Dauntless" works best.

I like "Dauntless" but I'm not crossing any oceans in anything less than 50', if it's a trawler. Name this after the guy who did it and see who can match his feat.

This isn't a really, really big deal in a sailboat, about 80 or 90 do the puddle jump every year. A trawler this size is a very different animal and this takes some major cojones, planning and luck. And a good boat made to do it.

Greetings,
Ocean crosser is quite apt for Richard BUT as I mentioned previously What about those who DON'T cross oceans but make epic voyages all the same. I mentioned a passage from Australia to Tasmania (only 150 miles but open ocean) or a run to Bermuda (some 700 miles). Neither cross oceans as such but are indeed serious passages. How about a simple "Seafarer"?

Works for me, the TF Dauntless awards.....

Dauntless Ocean Crosser

Dauntless Looper

Dauntless Great Lakes Crosser

Dauntless Lower 48 to Alaska

etc.

Don't forget "Dauntless NW Passage".

Do you think there will be a "Dauntless Okeechobee"?

Last edited:
Works for me, the TF Dauntless awards.....

Dauntless Ocean Crosser

Dauntless Looper

Dauntless Great Lakes Crosser

Dauntless Lower 48 to Alaska

etc.

Ha! You forgot Dauntless River Crosser and Dauntless Creek Paddler. Can I get a Dauntless Puddle Jumper? :D Where does it end?

If you cross an ocean, you're a Dauntless Ocean Crosser. If you don't cross an ocean, you're not. Seems unambiguously defined, appropriately limited to the accomplishment and rarely deserved.

But that's just me...

OceanMaster.
Short, sharp, simple. In one word.

Craig, I like "DAUNTLESS AWARD" as it can be bestowed for different types of cruising, but would have to be an outstanding accomplishment. I envision that there would be few of those. We have some intrepid cruisers, and they deserve to be set apart from ordinary. Richard has raised the bar.

Absolutely -- and a Dauntless Award could be designated for any number of accomplishments out of the ordinary. I like it best.

"What do you folks think of "Dauntless Ocean Crosser"?"

IMO it's all to wordy and a little pretentious.

Why not something simple like a special symbol below their avatar or name? Or several different symbols denoting different crossings or long cruises like doing the full loop. You could add hash marks if some one has done it more than once.

You're probably right, but he's in a battle just the same. Ever heard the phrase battling the elements.

Well, given the text report from Richard this morning, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly. I think Richard probably feels as though he in a battle with the elements, and I bet he doesn't give a darn about mincing words.:eek:

But I bet people that go to sea that ALSO get shot at may want the word "warrior" more reserved for the appropriate group and I'm sure Richard would respect that too.

Dictionary.com

Warrior
noun
1. a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.
2. a person who shows or has shown great vigor, courage, or aggressiveness, as in politics or athletics.

Warrior has never been a term exclusive to the military. Your suggestion that they would "giggle" might get a greater response from them.

Well we have diluted the term hero down to where it's almost meaningless, might as well whittle away at "warrior" now too.

I still like my term T.A.M., Trans Atlantic Mariner.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the forum...
I submit once again the possible recognition of Richard Bost as a recipient of the "The Dauntless Award".
I feel that his courage, planning and resolve merit the name offered- and it embodies the Vessel and the Journey which he is about to complete.

Start a poll, "don't mention it again", or "let's just go ahead and do it" are all possibilities here. Thank you for considering it.
I yield the floor....

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom