View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #28
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Oliver, I think the one big difference between our summer and yours is humidity. In the Delta, it's up to 20 degrees warmer than the bay, but the humidity runs about 30-40%. So at 90-95 degrees and 35%, it doesn't take much to make you feel cooler...a breeze (natural or fan), a dip in the fresh water, a FW washdown, a mister or an evap cooler.

Early this month, I was in the delta with those conditions and had a mister spraying in the cockpit. It worked well, cooling me and the decks. As the week went along, the temps cooled into the 80s and no mister was needed, just an occasional fan. Aside from an unplanned swimming event, I didn't feel the need for a swim with the temps in the 80s or lower.

When I travel back home to Chicago to see family or DC, I'm always impressed with the impact that humidity has on my comfort level. It's something I have long taken for granted out west, but my travels east help to remind me of our good fortune.

Oh, did I mention we have few bugs?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote