Hello All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SailorFromRI

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kittiwake
Vessel Make
Pearson 31-2
I currently own a Pearson 31-2 sailboat and have been thinking about making the switch to a trawler. I figure that we end up motoring > 80% of the time. Too much, not enough or right on the nose. (Who knew that a windex could be used to find your destination ;-) We spend just about every weekend on the boat and 2 week long trips per summer. I guess the main driver is creature comforts. Refrigeration and being able to drive the boat from inside are probably at the top of the list. Hope to chat with you all and I will keep you posted on my progress =)

Who knew that a windex could be used to find your destination ;

Cute. :)

I moved from sail to a trawler for the same reason -- found that I was using the motor 99% of the time, so now I can do exactly the same thing and with a lot more comfort.

On the other hand, I do sorely miss being able to throw a week's worth of provisions onboard and head for the Yucatan in Mexico when I want to. So there are advantages and disadvantages.

Moved from years of sailing to the trawler/MY world about 4 years ago. We had a Jeanneu 40. The creature comforts really change how you enjoy your time at anchor and if you are just motoring along in the sailboat. Really you can't say enough about the creature comfort features of a trawler. However, I really do miss those days when you can set the chute and run all day long making 8 or 9 knots. They did not happen that often but they are the memorable days for sure. I do miss those days. The other thing is that the MY/Trawler in general does not do as well in big seas. You need to pick your crossing days more carefully. The extra speed helps but it comes with a fuel price.
I really would like a trawler that can sail at 8 or 9 knots and have all the creature comforts of a trawler. I don't think there are many that exist. So we go on the trawler/MY and I really enjoy it and dont have any regrets but I do miss the "good days".

Thanks for the Hello's

I looked at a Marine Trader 44 that has been sitting in the yard of the marina where I keep my boat. I could not believe the amount of space. It really looks pretty comfy. This boat was in rough shape tho. Pretty much needs a whole new interior. All the windows are leaking and the paneling is all rotted out. For the right price however....... :thumb:

We are coastal cruisers that stay in Narragansett Bay most of the time with a couple of trips to Cuttyhunk, MV and Block Island sprinkled in. I know I will need to pick the days to get out of the bay much more carefully. That said, if I need to sit a day or two waiting it out, at least we will be comfortable lol.

I think that the 3 big ones for me are: The lower helm for driving in the rain, stowage to leave clothes and things on the boat and !!!refrigeration!!!. Lugging everything back and forth to the boat every weekend gets old.

I totally agree with your "3 big ones"......

How about this one, could the twins vs single argument apply to sailboats?

Attachments

• Sailboat twin outboards.jpg
    Sailboat twin outboards.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 113
Lolololol bet it turns on a dime ☺

Welcome to the party! We moved from sail to trawler and now we go twice as fast and have heat and air conditioning. And space! Have fun here.

Hey there SailorFromRI

We also cruise Narraganset Bay - keep our trawler in Dighton. Love to overnight on the Kickemuit river. Moved to a trawler after having a 37' Jeaneau Espace 1100. We got tired of motoring everywhere because there was almost no wind when we wanted to sail!
Now we can go in a straight line and be comfortable!

We are considering putting Autumn dream up for sale, since we are now "living the dream" with a home on the Taunton River.

She has the "Big 3" you are talking about - extremely comfortable Pilot House with awesome Pompanette Platinum Helm Seats (no fly bridge) - refrigerator that runs off the solar panels so no generator needed - loads of storage space.
PLUS- comfy full-size bed, stand up shower, and more!

AND, she doesn't need "tons of work".... all the work is done.
We are still preparing the information about her and photos and will probably put up a for sale listing in the next 1-2 months. If you are truly interested let me know and I will share more information with you.:)

Hi Autumn Dream! I have some friends up that way. You dont know the folks with Ruffian the Camino Troll, do you? In any case, sure, would be interested for sure. Is it a single or double cabin? Keep me posted and maybe we will see you in the Kick someday =)

Hi RT Firefly- if you are truly interested in learning more, please send a PM and I can put together more details for you - as I said we haven't prepared the "listing" yet.

SailorFromRI: We don't know the owners of Ruffian, the Camano, but we do see her at the yard and on the water.

Autumn Dream has a large main saloon, with a true Pilot house and engine room under, and a single cabin with a double/queen berth, plus a head with separate sit down shower area (not a wet head).

Greetings,
Mr. AD. Not really interested BUT you might post a "teaser" noting price range for those who would be interested and can watch in anticipation of the listing. Best of luck with the sale. Nice looking boat from the avatar picture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom