TF Designation for Ocean Crossers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seven Seas Cruising Association has accepted trawlers for the last 5 years. The thousand mile one way journey and the offshore test (forget standard) are required for Commodore status.

For trawlers I suggest the general test would be 1,000 kilometers off of the continent on which you are based. I immediately can think of a couple of exceptions New Zealand, Central America and others come to mind

Trans Atlantic Mariner AKA TAM

... What about the motor sailors, like Carquinez Coot? ...

:nonono: The Coot is not a motorsailer. It's a motorboat with two steadying sails.

two brass balls in the form of an awarded medal seems appropriate : ) There is certainly no shortage of devious photo-shoppers on here that could produce such a thing.

I dunno...I found this dusty old trophy back in the storeroom at TF World Headquarters. As usual, the TF team was already prepared for the inevitable crossing by a ballsy TF Member. I quickly snapped a photo with my I-phone before they booted me out. I photoshopped the engraving.

Attachments

• trophy.jpg
    trophy.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 101
Well......
His wife was an integral part of the first leg.......

Anyone who has done it might suggest "Sleep Deprived."

Last edited:
What? I was thinking the opposite...on a cruise ship you can get Legionnaires disease, salmonella poisoning, catch fire, run aground and roll over, lose money on blackjack...

Never experienced those. Nevertheless, we have experienced a hurricane, fifty-foot waves from another storm, a collision, a mid-Pacific rescue of a small-boat crew, a broken propeller shaft, electrical failure, and missing ports-of-call due to bad weather. Suffered a bowl of cereal in my lap and a badly-wrenched knee. Now, if I now tell the cabin steward I'll make up the bed instead of he ...?

:lol::lol::lol:

232323232%7Ffp73499%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D396%3A%3C36433336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. psneeld. Parameters. Exactly. Someone who runs to Bermuda is not crossing the Atlantic BUT definitely is blue water cruising and should be eligible for some special recognition.
An affectionado of cruise ships IS out in blue water but the most they have to worry about is what time the Elvis impersonator opens in the lounge on "B" deck. Likewise someone who crews on a larger vessel that they are NOT in charge of should be considered ineligible as well.
I propose that to earn the "title" (whichever one is decided upon) one should demonstrate that they have cruised in "blue water" (let's say 100 miles offshore) for extended periods (say 5 or more days) with only their vessel and trusted crew. I further propose that sail boaters, with all due respect, not be eligible. This is a POWER boating site after all. Joshua Slocum is not a member as far as I know.

Good starting point. I think one key requirement is that the person be the captain for the trip. That would eliminate passengers on cruise ships, crew on commercial ships, CG and Navy personnel, etc. I think the idea is that you made the voyage and were not just along for the ride.

You guys are way too serious. Larry's trophy proudly displayed by the user name gets my vote. :rofl: I bet if Richard had a choice it would be his pick.

A masterpiece Larry :thumb:

I also like Ocean Crosser, simple and to the point! Then add the badge Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, etc as the case may be. Anything less you can personally be proud of but it doesn't earn the ultimate title.

"Continental Explorer" perhaps is another thought?

I suggest Dauntless Denizen of the Deep, or simply Dauntless Denizen.

As the first recipient I believe the name of the vessel should be in there -- to inspire.

And as to who is awarded the title/designation, or parameters for said title? Of that I have no opinion. Passagemaker would not be my choice. It's too open for debate and more importantly overused. I don't like it.

Dauntless Denizen.

The Capt. Cojones Award has my vote (provided Richard and crew don't find it offensive)??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I'll have to buck the tide here.
Crossing with a crew is noteworthy, single handing is the opposite of smart.

I'll have to buck the tide here.
Crossing with a crew is noteworthy, single handing is the opposite of smart.

No matter number of persons or equipment involved... Most all things of good nature are deemed generally OK so long as success is reached. Most good things are deemed generally at fault (i.e. not OK in some way) if unsuccessful is outcome.

IMHO: It is fine to attempt or do good things as you desire. That's called different strokes for different folks! :popcorn:

Yep...siglehandling is just fine...

No problem with boating without a live watch for weeks on end or be at sleep deprivation levels akin to popping downers by the handful.

Now if only someone would start a thread about dangerous activity and loved ones on the water.....:rofl:

Gimme a break folks...set up categories like every other awards review team and let'er rip.

While I admire the Dauntless trip, it's certainly not the first or last and because he made it look so easy, hard to be called epic...but probably because of the Capt and crew it was seemingly easy.

If anyone is actually serious about TF awards, certifications, titles...fornm a small committee to "brainstorm ideas", present them or not to the body and git'er done.

I dunno...I found this dusty old trophy back in the storeroom at TF World Headquarters. As usual, the TF team was already prepared for the inevitable crossing by a ballsy TF Member. I quickly snapped a photo with my I-phone before they booted me out. I photoshopped the engraving.
That's quite an admission from Larry, Maybe he has learned his lesson.:D

Yes men think with their cajones.

The Dauntless Award.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I`d like it convey what was achieved, to everyone, whether members when it happened or not. "Dauntless" would do that in a way, even without knowing about this voyage. It would be a courtesy to get Richard`s agreement to using the name of his boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got quite a few Nordhavn owners and various other members boats capable of this much blue water time. Has anyone else here done a similar trip in their own power boat? San Francisco to Hawaii would certainly qualify or ???

Last edited:
"Captain of a remarkable passage"

Bestowed upon the captain for completing a remarkable passage. This is defined as a passage that was deemed of an extreme or exceptional nature do to the size and limitations of the vessel, and the duration and / or arduous nature of the passage. As an example: A passage from Norfolk, VA to Bermuda on a 250' yacht wouldn't qualify. The same passage on a 30' Willard trawler wins you the title and our deep respect.

Ted

Last edited:
I`d like it convey what was achieved, to everyone, whether members when it happened or not. "Dauntless" would do that in a way, even without knowing about this voyage. It would be a courtesy to get Richard`s agreement to using the name of his boat.

Absolutely. If the forum were to lean this way, that would be the thing to do. I would think he would see it as an honor, and a VERY well deserved one. But best to check.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

While I admire the voyage...it's in the present.

Someone else mentioned that past members, present members and future members may have done similarly BEFORE this current trip.

If ya'all want to honor the crew of the Dauntless have at it...great idea...but if it is to be an award for something bigger past this one voyage...shouldn't that override just the present?

That's true too.

And to me Dauntless is inspiring... To be dauntless is an achievement not all can manage, but for those who do something remarkable, I suspect being called Dauntless would be an honor.

1585-95; daunt + - less

British Dictionary; definition for dauntless:

Adjective: bold; fearless; intrepid

Dauntless being "The Word" itself then used as a prefix-adjective is ample to be affixed to any brave sea-soul who accomplishes nearly miracle feats with rather small power boat or gear and belongs to TF. Just happens that Richard's boat name is the same... to get this ball rolling! Thank you Richard!!

Levels of accomplishment sufficient for award and suffix-words regarding said award's type/reason would need to be ironed out by TF member votes and/or TF official overseers, e.g.:

- Dauntless “Ocean Crosser” - - > Richard/Julie Bost!!
- Dauntless “Great Lakes Journeyer” - ???
- Dauntless “Full Craft Restorer” (I herein nominate Matt of Australia for that title)
- Dauntless “Speed Boat Developer/Racer” (If he belonged to TF I’d nominate Howard Arneson for that title)

I am in with Dauntless becoming root word for TF awards going to exceptional people who accomplished exceptional doings regarding marine/boat/sea-travel life!

Happy Tittle-Award Daze! - Art :thumb:

Last edited:
Captain Ocean Master the master of the oceans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom