Cat cruise in Greek Islands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AusCan

Guru
Vessel Name
Kokanee
Vessel Make
Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I've nearly made it through another stressful month in Kurdistan, and hopefully will be flying west to Athens where my wife will join me on Friday. We will then be joining an old mate and his wife for 3 weeks cruising the Greek islands on their Lagoon 440.

I know, not a trawler, but I am sure going to enjoy it. I'll post a few pics of trawlers I see along the way, just so I don't get tossed from the forum for cruising on a blow boat.

It has turned out to be perfect timing, as I recently received an email advising me that my boat cannot exit the marina for the next month due to the lock being upgraded.

I am so ready for it. :dance:

Easy on the Ouzo and enjoy the R&R, have a wee peek at 'Sailing the Inland Ionian' by Jim B sail to whet your appetite.

Life is good. Not many trawler types, but everything else. This anchored next to us today.

Attachments

• ugly.jpg
    ugly.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 243
Auscan. It never ceases to amaze me how some people think (or were smoking) when they design a boat.
My son lives in Adelaide, if we go to visit we might get chance to say 'G'day and blow the froth of a Gold or two.
Enjoy the Ouzo and Dolmathes

Thanks, IR.
The boat in the pic is called Guilty; 114 feet long, owned by a Greek billionaire, Dakis Joannou. The exterior is supposedly inspired by WW1 camouflage pattern.
He wouldn't lose it in a crowded anchorage.

And let us know anytime you make it to Adelaide.

Thanks Auscan, I think the old Grey Funnel line used grey and white flash stripes but as you rightly say he won't need a satnav to find his boat after a night run ashore.
Will give you a heads up when we start to plan, probably next winter(here).
If you are anywhere near the Ionian there's a super little harbour called Lakka on Paxos island and great beach bar on anti Paxos. Enjoy your stay.

IR, Yes we are on Ithaca at the moment, (great little bay and beach bar) but plan on working our way up to Paxos over the next week or so. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Auscan, Enjoy, after the 'stan' it'll be a welcome change.

As I sit here in a very wet and soggy Sydney, I am quite the green eyed monster.

It all looks pretty fabulous.

Sure just hop on the ferry up to Paramatta and have a meal, you'll be on a boat and it'll keep you out of the rain.

Well - After 10 days of cruising the Ionian Sea, I've come across 2 trawler type boats. A beautiful Defever 45 that had cruised down from Lithuania, and a older Marine Trader 40 that looked like it had been there a while.

I would estimate it was 98% sailboats, although only about 50% actually sailing. I was told that this area has the biggest fleet of rental sail boats in the world. A forgiving place to learn, as the winds are light and the water is calm.

It's been luxurious aboard a 44 ft Lagoon cat. My boat will seem a little cramped when I get home.

One more stop first - The crazy waterways of Venice.

Auscan, there's a rumour goes around that some the Lithuanian boats may have had a previous owner, who paid for it.. They certainly do a nice line in cars from Ireland.
Enjoy Venice but it can have a unique 'aroma' so be warned and watch out for the 'rip-off' gondoliers, enjoy every moment while you can. Post us poor guys n gals some photo's.
Incidentally Birmingham in England has more canals than Venice.

OK, that's enough, it is still raining cats and dogs here in Sydney, the boat has a leak and I am not happy.

I beseech the mods to stop this inhumane torture, can't we ban this seditious thread?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom