Boating Gun laws in N.C.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timjet

Guru
Can anyone enlighten me on the N.C. laws concerning the carrying of a loaded rifle on your boat. Please this is not a discussion on the wisdom of carrying a gun.

There's no laws on the books that would prohibit the transportation of a weapon in your vehicle, which a boat is, but it's also considered to be your home I suppose.

Of course, how you use that weapon might trip up another set of laws all together.

Personally I wouldn't have a round chambered, which seems to be what you're implying when you say "loaded", unless we're blending this into the drinking thread.

WLL now you have done it....guns, drinking now I will finish sending this thread to hell.....what is the best anchor:D

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...QnsZ6xAgxYerMgQylXyUfMA&bvm=bv.73231344,d.aWw

Gun laws in North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission > Licensing > Regulations > Fire Arms and Concealed Carry

*** POSSESSION OF FIREARMS ON BOATING AND FISHING ACCESS AREAS

No person shall possesses a loaded firearm on any public fishing or boating access area, with the exception of those who carry a concealed handgun with a valid concealed handgun permit, unless otherwise prohibited by the landowner and posted as such. This ruling also applies to wildlife conservation areas.

*** N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission > Licensing > Regulations > Fire Arms and Concealed Carry

GOOGLE and 6 min of time, not hard, but easier to get others to do it I guess. ;)

Last edited:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncsheriffs.org%2Fdocuments%2FNC_Firearms_Laws-February_2014.pdf&ei=jP7xU4OOLoH3yQSA1IHYAg&usg=AFQjCNFSLSaQnsZ6xAgxYerMgQylXyUfMA&bvm=bv.73231344,d.aWw

Gun laws in North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission > Licensing > Regulations > Fire Arms and Concealed Carry

*** POSSESSION OF FIREARMS ON BOATING AND FISHING ACCESS AREAS

No person shall possesses a loaded firearm on any public fishing or boating access area, with the exception of those who carry a concealed handgun with a valid concealed handgun permit, unless otherwise prohibited by the landowner and posted as such. This ruling also applies to wildlife conservation areas.

*** N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission > Licensing > Regulations > Fire Arms and Concealed Carry

GOOGLE and 6 min of time, not hard, but easier to get others to do it I guess.

That's at boat ramps (what the NCWRC calls boating access area) and fishing piers. You can have a rifle on board your boat, but you better immediately tell the Coast Guard and any other LEO about to board your boat that you have it, that it is loaded and exactly where it is. The CG has been known to unload guns and put the ammo somewhere away from the gun while they are on board.

Last edited:
That's at boat ramps (what the NCWRC calls boating access area) and fishing piers. You can have a rifle on board your boat, but you better immediately tell the Coast Guard and any other LEO about to board your boat that you have it, that it is loaded and exactly where it is. The CH has been known to unload guns and put the ammo somewhere away from the gun while they are on board.

Just so I understand, they could not/would not interpret it to also mean docks (public) and marinas as "access areas"? I have a CCW permit that is honored in NC so I would hope that that would prevent me from trouble.

I have a problem with the wording "public access areas" only meaning boat ramps I also want to know if and how all "wildlife conservation areas" are marked.

I don't want to be a test case.

...GOOGLE and 6 min of time, not hard, but easier to get others to do it I guess. ;)

Or why wouldn't you just make a couple phone calls to the nearest CG office, or Fish & Game office, or whatever they call the state boat cops there. After all, what you think the law says (and sometime what it actually says) might differ from the way law enforcement reads and enforces it. We can toss around statute cites all day but if it were me, and I wanted to avoid steel bracelets in front of a boatful of guests on a Saturday afternoon, I'd just ask the officers in the area.

I live in NC and often keep a rifle on the boat. I have been boarded and announced to the officers its presence. They had no interest in the gun and did not even ask to see it. No unusual laws here in NC regarding guns on boats.

That statute quoted does not apply.

Just so I understand, they could not/would not interpret it to also mean docks (public) and marinas as "access areas"? I have a CCW permit that is honored in NC so I would hope that that would prevent me from trouble.

I have a problem with the wording "public access areas" only meaning boat ramps I also want to know if and how all "wildlife conservation areas" are marked.

I don't want to be a test case.

Then do as kthonnes suggests and pick up the phone. Or trust us locals.
Things can get pretty testy at the boat ramps and fishing piers. NC officially designates boating access areas with signage; they build and run almost all of them.

I have been a boat with a gun or two on board (not ours) and witnessed first hand the CG doing their gun thing, in one case, separating the ammo, which I had previously heard anecdotally of them doing . As Ski says, just telling them what you have and where takes all the pressure off. It's no big deal there at all.

Then do as kthonnes suggests and pick up the phone. Or trust us locals.
Things can get pretty testy at the boat ramps and fishing piers. NC officially designates boating access areas with signage; they build and run almost all of them.

I have been a boat with a gun or two on board (not ours) and witnessed first hand the CG doing their gun thing, in one case, separating the ammo, which I had previously heard anecdotally of them doing . As Ski says, just telling them what you have and where takes all the pressure off. It's no big deal there at all.

Good to know :thumb:, I have a locked storage area for firearms, never had a problem with a boarding while underway they never opened the cabinet, I understand it could be different if at a dock in some places.

Berth side firearm is also in a quick access locked storage box, CG did not ask for the combination or ask me to open it. Just requested I remain out of that area until they left.

Last edited:
I was boarded by the USCG not long ago and they didn't ask about weapons on board until the end. I would have thought that would have been the first question asked.

I was boarded by the USCG not long ago and they didn't ask about weapons on board until the end. I would have thought that would have been the first question asked.

I volunteer that information right up front! "Sir I have loaded weapons aboard and they are located......."

I was boarded by CG a few years ago off Pensacola, FL they asked about firearms before boarding. told me to put them on the bed. when they boarded one went down unloaded and hid the ammo. They never requested anything more re the guns. once they left they told me where the ammo was. in, a drawer.

OK, thanks guys I feel better now. Incidentally I did google for this info but as others have said I was confused about what N.C. LEO's consider boating access areas.

Greetings,
I suspect it wouldn't be prudent to say "Good afterbul consternoon, I'm loaded...
sXQlEOv.gif

Or why wouldn't you just make a couple phone calls to the nearest CG office, or Fish & Game office, or whatever they call the state boat cops there. After all, what you think the law says (and sometime what it actually says) might differ from the way law enforcement reads and enforces it.

That, I think, is the smartest answer in this thread to the original question.

In the course of my work we deal with customs organizations all over the world. We have all their official rules on our computers including the US rules as they pertain to what we are taking out and bringing back in. And what we learned a long, long time ago, is that what happens when you show up at customs is whatever the officials you are dealing with want to have happen at that particular moment. Even if you say, "But sir, your rules state that...." they have long since learned how to make it your fault anyway.:)

With regards to firearms, we've taken them into Canada by plane and by boat for years. And we've probably encountered every variation on the "rules" that can be imagined, from clearing customs by phone with an officer 150 miles away to having very thorough, on-the-spot inspections. Sometimes they felt our firearm met their requirements, sometimes they didn't, at least initially.

So if you think you might be questioned regarding firearms by some enforcement agency or other, become familiar with the actual laws on the books, and then call as kthoennes suggests.

Last edited:
OK, thanks guys I feel better now. Incidentally I did google for this info but as others have said I was confused about what N.C. LEO's consider boating access areas.

As the OP has announced he has the answers he was seeking we will close this gun thread on a high note, for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom