View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
nakika_guru

City: Annapolis
Hello from a landlocked boater

Hello,

My name is Rob and I'm happy to join the forum. I have captained and crewed on a number of different trawlers, ranging from GB36/42 in Chesapeake Bay, southwest Florida, and BVI to a Selene 66 we took from Portland to Seattle.

I am planning/hoping/praying to purchase a small trawler (28-36 foot range) next spring. I am somewhat familiar with GBs; I'm interested in all opinions about GB, Albin, Mainship, Marine Trader, Island Gypsy, Monk, etc.

My price range is under $30K, so I will be looking in the '80s and earlier. My dream boat today would likely be a Defever 49, but that's way out of my price range.

I live in Colorado and am contemplating a scenario where I will only keep the boat in the water for summer months. Why not charter you might ask? Well, its an option, but 1) I'll be singlehanding alot, 2) I love to tinker and work on boats, 3) I enjoy pride of ownership. Some of you may understand this; if you don't, then refer to Kenneth Grahame's quote "There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

Thanks,
Rob
nakika_guru is offline   Reply With Quote