Painting Aluminum Window Frames

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
The PO decided to paint over the teak doors and door frames, and the aluminum window frames, with apparently the same paint. The doors will need to be addressed, but the immediate issue is the aluminum frames.

They're factory coated a dark brown, which is an appropriate contrasting color to the tan hull. Maybe they were faded and that's why they were painted a light tan to match the hull. Now that paint is peeling.

I'll try stripping back to the original finish, but if that doesn't come out well, what's the best paint for this job?

I'm facing a similar situation but there's no owner applied paint, the original black paint has failed.

I'll be watching this discussion but my first thought is to use Rustoleum marine paint from the home center. I haven't looked at it closely, but I'll remove the remains of the existing paint and then follow the instructions on the can.

Anything with zinc chromate (banned for a lot of uses now) was what they undercoated outboards and outdrives with but in spray cans. It's still available in places with the "professional application" caveat (I think) but widely ignored. Either way...not a good thing to breath.

There was just another thread talking aluminum painting and someone linked an aluminum acid etch system that would be a contender if I studied it more. But any system that addresses pitting and getting the aluminum oxide out of the pits and off the surface for long enough to get paint over it is the ticket from what I have seen/read.

Once the paint film starts bubbling then the only thing to do is to scrape and sand down to bare aluminum. Then coat with Alodine, a chromate aluminum primer. Then paint. If you paint without the Alodine primer, it won't last.

David

Understood about bare aluminum. But if - big IF - I get the OP's paint off and the factory paint is still intact underneath, but faded, can I just spray over that, or does it have to come back to bare aluminum and be primed?

Understood about bare aluminum. But if - big IF - I get the OP's paint off and the factory paint is still intact underneath, but faded, can I just spray over that, or does it have to come back to bare aluminum and be primed?

I doubt you'll be able to get just the new paint off, but if you have intact, well adhered paint and prep it properly you can paint over it just like you would a car or your home.

I doubt you'll be able to get just the new paint off, but if you have intact, well adhered paint and prep it properly you can paint over it just like you would a car or your home.

:thumb: I agree, for the prep just make sure it is lightly sanded and wiped down with thinners before painting or the new paint will not adhere. If you are using a water based paint over oil based it will have to be primed but I would not expect you are using a water based paint.

Can they be removed, bead blasted, and powder coated?

I is possible that the original finish isn't paint but rather anodized. That is tough stuff. I painted an aluminum boat years ago with great success. I kept it about ten years afterward and never had a chipping, peeling or other adhesion issue. I stripped it bare with paint stripper. sanded it with 220 grit until spotless clean. Then etched it with automotive metal prep (muriatic acid ). Washed it with clear water and allowed it to dry in the sun then overnight. Sprayed it with Petit zinc cromate. then lightly wet sanded with 330 grit. Then sprayed it with two coats of Petit Easy Poxy. Came out really nice.

Nice Coincidence, I was just going to ask what caulk to use on my aluminum engine room vents when I put them back in. In my case the vents were easily removed so I took them home & bead blasted them. With a bit of sleuthing I found a small local company that dry powder coats and will be taking them there tomorrow. Cost for six 24"X12" vents is $150.00 cdn.

I also talked to a pro auto body painter, he said he would paint with an etch primer followed by a two part paint. Cost would have been $60.00 a vent. Ouch!

Sadly they are pitted in some areas so they can never look perfect but at least the powder coat should last as long as I do.

Nice Coincidence, I was just going to ask what caulk to use on my aluminum engine room vents when I put them back in. In my case the vents were easily removed so I took them home & bead blasted them. With a bit of sleuthing I found a small local company that dry powder coats and will be taking them there tomorrow. Cost for six 24"X12" vents is $150.00 cdn.

I also talked to a pro auto body painter, he said he would paint with an etch primer followed by a two part paint. Cost would have been $60.00 a vent. Ouch!

Sadly they are pitted in some areas so they can never look perfect but at least the powder coat should last as long as I do.

Ask to see a sample of textured powder coat. You may like it. It will hide all the pits.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

Can't recommend powder coating. I have a lot of it, and it does not seem to last even though it was done professionally by two different applicators. Wish I had used two part linear poly with a proper cleansing and stabilizing primer.

If you insist, make darn sure you isolate every single fastener and deal with every ding as soon as you see it, as in immediately.

:thumb: I agree, for the prep just make sure it is lightly sanded and wiped down with thinners before painting or the new paint will not adhere...
I would add to that, the primer needs to go on immediately, with no delay, after the prep.

Can't recommend powder coating. I have a lot of it, and it does not seem to last even though it was done professionally by two different applicators. Wish I had used two part linear poly with a proper cleansing and stabilizing primer.

If you insist, make darn sure you isolate every single fastener and deal with every ding as soon as you see it, as in immediately.

:thumb:

Every nice yacht captain that requested custom panels for new electronics wanted painted aluminum and SPECIFICALLY did NOT want powder coated when I worked at a marine electronics place.

It's been my experience that it is the RARE example of powder coating that has held up and no where's near the longevity I have seen with a good paint job with numerous choices of paint.

Etching and properly treating with alodine followed by chromite is the way to do it.

Once the paint film starts bubbling then the only thing to do is to scrape and sand down to bare aluminum. Then coat with Alodine, a chromate aluminum primer. Then paint. If you paint without the Alodine primer, it won't last.

David
Powder coating is similar to painting, you have to etch , alodine , prime and top coat if you want the coating to last. I would use Alwgrip or Sterling two part as a top coat.

Now you have me worried and re-thinking going with powder coating, it will be brutal to remove if/when it fails but I just can't bring myself to paying $360 to spray paint a few vents with an epoxy. I'm thinking now, since I also would like to paint my faded aluminum window frames like CaptTom & Ron that I may be better off just painting with any old enamel. At least when it fails it would be a relatively simple task to lightly sand and repaint.

I do like mbevins idea of textured dry powder to hide the pits however.

Now you have me worried and re-thinking going with powder coating, it will be brutal to remove if/when it fails but I just can't bring myself to paying $360 to spray paint a few vents with an epoxy. I'm thinking now, since I also would like to paint my faded aluminum window frames like CaptTom & Ron that I may be better off just painting with any old enamel. At least when it fails it would be a relatively simple task to lightly sand and repaint.

I do like mbevins idea of textured dry powder to hide the pits however.

Couldn't you fill the pits, then sand and paint?

My plan isn't even to spray because masking would be a big chore and removing non-leaking windows would be an even bigger chore. Flat or semigloss paint could be brushed on or If I could find or make a 1" roller, that might give a better finish. It's just trim, it's not like I'm painting the boat with a brush.

Use the marine outboard ,I-O rattle can to prime , and another rattle can in the color of your choice.

Will last well look good and cost little.

Use the marine outboard ,I-O rattle can to prime , and another rattle can in the color of your choice.

Will last well look good and cost little.
If it is just a few parts, that is a splendid idea.

If the aluminum was originally annodized and doesn't have any pitting/corrosion, this should work. It is what many Nordic Tug owners have done to paint the black annodized window frames. This comes from an owner and it was posted to the SENTOA website:

I have anodized windows & wheelhouse doors with bare metal showing in spots and have been able to refinish them as follows:
Light sanding with 320-grit paper just enough to remove loose stuff.
Wipe with paint thinner.
2 coats of Rust-oleum grey primer thinned 40-50% with Penetrol (NOT normal paint thinner) I use a foam brush.
Sand again & wipe if needed to level runs and sags but use very light pressure.
2 coats of Rust-oleum flat black paint, thinned 40-50% with Penetrol. (I tried gloss black but it turns out much too glossy for me.) I also use a foam brush for this.
Finish with the reddish rubbing compound they sell at Pep Boys, NAPA stores, etc.
A car buff showed me how to do this and since these materials are not normally sold in marine stores, you will be pleasantly surprised at their cost. The secret of the Penetrol is that it makes the paint thin and runny enough to flow smoothly but does not destroy the hiding ability of the paint. Finally, I would practice on something other than the boat first.

And here is what Diamond Seaglaze has to say about repairing areas of their doors and windows where the original powdercoating has been compromised. Also from the SENTOA website:

There are many varying opinions about what causes powder coat paint to fail, as well as what the best anti-corrosive coatings are to use. I have been heavily involved in the coating process and QA and NDT Testing on our powder coated and painted products over the years and am always willing to provide insight. First, I will address the repair question which was answered.
Most recoating does not require window/door removal, unless the problem has been left to fester for a great deal of time. Most corrosion manifests as the “bubbling” which was mentioned, and can usually be contained at that time for a relatively low cost. You need to get a two component urethane based marine grade paint, and primer. Depending on the suppliers in your area, you can often even get the paint in aerosol form, which is the easiest for re-application. We do not recommend the use on off the shelf spray paints, as it won’t stand up to the elements or have the same adhesion as this type. Our preferred paint suppliers are Alexseal and/or Awlgrip. Alexseal is ideal because the topcoat can be sanded and polished for a better blend, especially on the white colors.
Mask off the affected areas, and all parts that could be subjected to overspray. To achieve the best seal, cut away any sealants near the affected area(s) and clean it up with some isopropyl alcohol. Use a medium grit (80-120 grit) sandpaper to remove and condition the affected areas. If access is easy, an orbital sander makes the job go quickly. You will want to remove slightly more paint than the immediate area, as moisture may have seeped under the paint a bit. Once all damaged paint is out of the way, and you have everything masked, clean the area with water and a light detergent and allow the areas to dry.
Apply the primer to all exposed metal within 24 hours or preferably less. Lightly sand the primer after it has fully cured, as well as any areas that you will blend the paint into. It is possible to apply another coat of primer if needed, but it is not necessary in most cases. Finally, apply the topcoat, lightly blending into the original painted surface. Re apply if necessary. NOTE: The color may not appear to match right away. Let it cure fully, and then check it again. If it is off a shade, apply another coat of the topcoat, and allow to fully cure again. Once the painting is finished, un mask all areas and you are finished. Try not to rub or clean the newly painted areas for a couple days, as the paint takes a minimum of about 48+ hours to cure fully. (read spec sheet that you get with the paint for exact cure times)

The next question that was mentioned was what is the best coating for the marine environment. Well, anodized finish does not break down for a very long time, so I would rule this as the best way to avoid paint deterioration over time, but at the end of the day, most customers want matching “painted” products on their white Nordics. The best coating system is a wet paint primer/topcoat system. Our powder coat line is rugged and durable, but any location of any stainless steel fasteners that do not have isolation will eventually break down the surface of the paint and allow moisture in due to galvanic corrosion. Once this happens, the finish will deteriorate quickly. Powder coating provides a more durable, harder finish, but wet paint and gel coat are more flexible and easier to rework. Cor spec primers that are available with wet paint applications actually provide a sealed anti-corrosive barrier that protects the aluminum substrate much more effectively, and the topcoat is not the protective layer as is the case with power coat.

I painted the window frames (interior and exterior) on Seaweed with Rustoleum flat black paint. $5 for a cup at Walmart and that was sufficient. I used both brush and foam -- foam was easier, brush got the corners well.

It looks good enough for me. Outside (I've done over a couple places where there was bubbling) -- six years of Florida sunshine. Bubbling was lack of proper prep no doubt and I didn't do the Penetrol mix -- probably should have, and will next time I'm ambitious. (don't hold your breath for that!!!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom