View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #20
ghost
Guru

City: Anacortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Must be divine because while all may be true, they aren't necessarily root causal factors.
I think you just like to argue. I would say those are the most root causal issues, everything else is just a trigger and task loading.

I also spent too much of my life in activities that carried a big penalty when you got things wrong. I learned early on that "there is more at stake than getting your feelings hurt". So lest you think I neither feel bad or have empathy for the victims here, I do. But its more important that we not protect someone's feelings or try to somehow make this more difficult than it is. Never rob the opportunity to learn from mistakes.

It's a simple set of principles that makes the difference between us being safe and eventually running afoul. There is no need to complicate it.

We used to run drills. The participants would wind up in all manner of charlie foxtrot situations. All that was required was waiting for someone to find a reason to momentarily step away from simple principles, then you added one trigger event. Next thing you know, human nature makes quick/bad decisions in an environment of task loading and you have a runaway failure. The POINT is to admit it immediately, take apart the situation and understand how to not make those simple fundamental mistakes in the first place. The worst situations always started from a simple innocuous trigger. That is also part of the point in learning how important discipline can be.

The other learning is that we don't get lazy and leave thes analysis up to somebody else. We are to actively take part in every debriefing, explore each situation, especially those that were not our own, take it apart, criticize it, explore the options and mentally prepare for our options and how to recognize them. You don't get that from blindly reading someone else's analysis, and you don't get that if your worried about somebody getting their feelings hurt.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote