Ford Lehman 120 Transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desolation

Hi everyone;
Just came back from a great cruise in Desolation Sound on a 34' CH trawler. Just as I was returning to dock, the last shot in forward caused a screeching sound and I am quite sure the transmission gears are shot. Does anybody know what it might cost for a rebuilt transmission?

More likely clutches , If you can remove the tranny , open it up and see whats wrong.

Before removal be sure to check the cable shifting is allowing FULL engagement of the shift lever.Loose clamp, bad bracket worn cable end?

The previous owner of my boat rebuilt the port Borg-Warner gearbox on our FL 120 at a cost of $3K. I was told the rebuild was done in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

You are drawing a big conclusion based on a one time noise event. I'd do some further investigation before breaking out the check book. :D

Ford Lehman Diesel Transmission

tks for the responses. Unfortunately, I was returning the charter vessel and had to leave immediately, so I did not have a chance to explore further the possible reasons why the system malfunctioned. Needless to say the boat owner called to tell me that he won't be sending me back my damage deposit of $1,500.

I am just wondering what the maintenance procedures are for the transmission and what the hour life expectancy is. Did any of you ever have a similar breakdown?

I would find out the problem if possible. If it has many hours on it and just worn out, I would go back after the deposit. The owner should have to justify that your negligence caused the failure.

I would demand a copy of the repair bill and proof that "operator error" was to blame.

I had a screeching tranny on my assistance towboat...thought it was literally going to fly apart. Replaced with a new tranny...same screech...

Turned out nothing more than a 2" diameter knockout plate on the flywheel cover (for different application starter) that fell between the flywheel and something..can't remember maybe jut the dampner plate....balled up and created a racket that caused ZERO damage. Nothing I did...manufacturer defect.

Thinking damper plate, too. Not something to blame on the operator, they just die after so many hours. And way less than the 1500 deposit unless gearbox is a PITA to slide back.

To the OP, if this is what failed, you should not lose your deposit. Of course that depends on the contract clauses.

Hmmm! Was your charter with Desolation Sound Charters? I'm of the opinion that you are not to blame for this incident. Unless there is evidence that you struck something during your charter or wrapped something around the wheel, the repairs should be their responsibility, JMHO.

Jim

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom