View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #18
Pete Hopley

City: Hawaii Kai
Vessel Name: Howemet
Vessel Model: 1982 30ft Lien Hwa Sea Horse
If the patching works... great. My opinion is you will revisit this rusty tank issue. My 30 ft Lein Hwa started leaking on the top of the starboard tank. I bit the bullet and ordered two 52 gallon poly tanks from Moeller (PN:FT5218S), 100 gallons less than original tanks. They fit in through the cabin engine access hatch with taking off alternator and thermostat housing, and moving around house batteries. The have cross feed fittings to keep tanks level. 2 Tanks combined were appx $900.00 US. New fittings, lines, fuel gauge was an additional $600.00 US. It took me part time 3 weeks to complete the job on my own... no labor fee but beer . I cut eh old tanks out piece by piece with a sawzall and demo blades (expensive blades appx $7 a blade... used 20 blades in total for the whole job). I took the time to completely re-do my engine compartment along with asbestos removal and re-insulation. My engine room looks new! I crawl down into it and come up with no grease! It is so nice. The old tanks I cut out were full of rust and sediment down in the bottoms appx 1 1/2 thick. After long exhaustive talk over cocktails with my fellow Captains and Maintainers, calls to American Marine, Bomac, and Lancing Marine... I decided taking out those old rusty tanks would be the best for the heart of my boat...the engine. Otherwise they become a lingering nightmare. I also figured if I ever sale my beauty... the next guy will get a solid boat (increases re-sale when surveyor looks at the new system)! Good luck!
Pete Hopley is offline   Reply With Quote