My first trawler - surveyor recommendations please (mid-Atlantic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gull

<table style="width:100%;height:100%;" align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top" width="100%">Hi everyone
I have just heard about this forum, and figured I'd jump in feet first - as I slowy come to terms with a move from a live-aboard sailboat to a live-aboard trawler situation.
I am hoping that like the sailing forums, these forums are also populated with knowledgeable,* helpful folk that seem to pop up often around salt water.

I recently sold my sailboat, and have just had an offer accepted on a small displacement hull trawler.
I need to get the survey scheduled, and am looking for recommendations for a really good surveyor, who is able to work in Norfolk Va. The surveyor should be a member of SAMS or NAMS (bank requirement).

As this is my first foray into the "dark world" of trawlers, and I am investing more than I should, I would like to get the best surveyor I can, so as to be sure I'm not making a mistake with the boat. She is a one owner,* 2003 model from a reputable manufacturer, so I would hope the survey would be pretty clean, but I know the value of a good survey both from the education perspective as well as understanding exactly what I'm getting into.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations especially from personal experience. My broker is assisting with a few names, but personal experience is always better.
Thank you for your responses, and I'm looking forward to learning a lot more from these forums as I go through the process of learning a new vessel.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Hi Gull,

Started to look for a surveyor in the Virginia Beach area but ended up not making an offer on the particular boat. I'm afraid I can't be of much help as my search didn't reveal anyone who stood out above the rest. Don't know who you are using as a broker, but if you aren't using Virginia Yacht Brokers they might be a good source to ask as a disinterested 3rd party. They seem very professional and seem to sell a fair amount of trawlers.

http://www.yachtworld.com/virginiayachtbrokers/

Welcome to Trawler Forum.

Ted

Well. tell us about the boat and your intended cruising grounds. A 2003 model could be perfect -*or not.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Sunday 9th of January 2011 01:19:54 AM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom