View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #19
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Interesting Scott.
But all the fish species above Pink Salmon aren't caught w trollers at all.

I'm talk'in about salmon trollers of the NW Pacific. New trollers aren't being built in numbers worth mentioning so aspiring troll fishermen either buy an old boat (best choice) or some other boat that may work. And cheap is always attractive as most wannabe fishermen don't enter the fishery loaded w cash.

Trollers like the Dixie II are the only boats that are really good for trolling. When I was a young man many hand trolled w OB boats not much different than one I have in my back yard. But fish were plentiful then. Others fished w traditional trollers considerably smaller than Willy at about 7.5 ' wide and 26' long. Most had small flat head 4 and 6cyl gas engines. But the traditional boats had round bilges w a very canoe shaped hull most of them being double ended.

Most trollers are among the deceased, especially the smaller ones. So many other boats are being drawn into the shrinking fleet. And almost none of them are even close to ideal for the job. So the boat Marin posted as a luxury fishing boat is'nt luxury at all on the fishing grounds. She's well below a 2nd choice but I've seen many worse. But anchored up for the night she'd be hard to beat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote