Pilothouse doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Boy, do I like my port-and-starboard pilothouse doors. Quick access to either starboard and port decks. Also love the Dutch doors to reduce wayward water spray and wind, if needed, and yet have open access.

img_254337_0_be3d2ea386eb8cf879616647c6202bbb.jpg

I love having full height pilot house doors! A must have IMO.

Is that boat considered to be less than 12 meters in length?

I love having full height pilot house doors! A must have IMO.

Is that boat considered to be less than 12 meters in length?

Definitely.

While I have the same situation on my Selene, I wonder why the doors do not open "backwards" like car doors. May be harder to close in a blow, but seems like the "natural" position???

While I have the same situation on my Selene, I wonder why the doors do not open "backwards" like car doors. May be harder to close in a blow, but seems like the "natural" position???

My pilothouse doors open like most all car's doors, but I don't know why they couldn't open opposite like "suicide" doors. A plus for opening forward, however, is wider access between boarding gate and the door.

I suspect if they opened the other way, there's a better chance they might get blown out of your hands in a strong blow. Plus, the door can block spray as you enter the side deck.

Love mine, too, but the Stbd door and aft door are sliders. Not so seaworthy, but very convenient.

Love mine, too, but the Stbd door and aft door are sliders. Not so seaworthy, but very convenient.
So, no port door? (Isn't it nice ribbing a friend? And getting away with it. ... Have an IPA to make up.)

We like our heavy built Diamond Sea Glaze (Looks like what you have), even though we don't leave them open since we run the AC all the time. Our Port side opens like a car door and the STBRD side opens like a suicide door.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406940403.643815.jpg

Not seaworthy but home built and riverready .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 122
We like our heavy built Diamond Sea Glaze (Looks like what you have), even though we don't leave them open since we run the AC all the time. Our Port side opens like a car door and the STBRD side opens like a suicide door.

The door's dogs, while looking nautical, surely help seal the doors to keep pollution particles outside.

img_254382_0_500fb018f165152aec9715e2ca0ed5c2.jpg

Last edited:
We like our heavy built Diamond Sea Glaze (Looks like what you have), even though we don't leave them open since we run the AC all the time. ...

That's one reason I don't spend anytime in Florida. :socool: Or have A/C on the Coot. :eek:

And then there are the murky, nutrient-rich SF Bay/Estuarian waters!

img_254385_0_b7057ff8f01e3b671a47a61b3f71c709.jpg

Last edited:
So, no port door? (Isn't it nice ribbing a friend? And getting away with it. ... Have an IPA to make up.)

Nope...no port door. None needed with that cavernous opening with double aft doors. :thumb:

img_254406_0_5cb78d7b27c5257d840f43c6917ad402.jpg

img_254406_1_634db8f05da4c9edd78b65b31063a65b.jpg

I'd steal an IPA from your boat but I can't break into those heavy steel doors. Damn you, Coot!! :D

Last edited:
That's one reason I don't spend anytime in Florida. :socool: Or have A/C on the Coot. :eek:

No trips up the Delta in the summertime?

The Hatt has sliders, not as salty for sure, but very nice ergonomically for 95% of use. I really like the dutch door motif though; everything's a compromise!

FlyWright - How much of a gap do you have between the aft doors & the frame? We need to reset the frame & repair the sliders. PO said his son forced all the doors on the boat open when they were locked. He no think so good!

I have sliders P&S - high enough that spray not an issue. I leave them cracked in good weather but would definitely prefer a Dutch door option. Anyone seen a good slider with folding portion? I could get talked into replacing mine - all the windows are DSG but the door sure aren't that level of construction.

Bay Pelican a 1985 Krogen 42 has port and starboard pilot house doors, Dutch doors permitting them to be half open. Being an older Krogen the dogs did not come with dogs which we have added. We have also added for safety 2" straps which can be run across the door opening at waist height to reduce the likelihood of someone falling out of the pilot house.

Again, as a older boat there are two drawbacks to these doors: the inside is teak, and the outside is teak. We have painted the outside with Awl Grip.

FlyWright - How much of a gap do you have between the aft doors & the frame? We need to reset the frame & repair the sliders. PO said his son forced all the doors on the boat open when they were locked. He no think so good!

Not sure of the gap at the aft doors....maybe a bit less than a 1/4 inch when closed. I've never measured it as air flow has never been a concern.

My stbd door has more of a gap....about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I added a weather strip rubber seal to reduce the air flow/heat loss.

It's not hard to break into most boats. Mine is no exception.

My old CA 34 had rear door alignment issues and finally went with a hasp padlock system which worked very well except that I have been locked out a few times when inside hook latches secured on their own when sliding doors shut.

Now the Defever relies on the Perko locks which are not long lasting the springs are known for breaking, at least these are double doors and makes bringing large items in and our really easy.

I would like to add the split pilothouse doors by sea glaze but they are under the heading category of "Lottery winnings" if and when.......

Flywright Hope the Bay area and Delta is treating you well this summer.

Takes Two
Currently in Makinaw MI

No trips up the Delta in the summertime?

Nope (usually too hot in the summer). Besides, August is the best time for boatyard work. With year-round boating, that's not a sacrifice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom