vaccuflush issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have to use a special TP for VF heads?

No. In fact you should not have to use any special TP for any modern head. Or most older heads for that matter.

All you do is take 1 sheet of any TP you are thinking about using and put it in a jar of water with a top on it. Shake the jar hard 5 times. If the sheet of TP is broken up after 5 shakes, it's good to go.

We just used anything labeled "septic safe". Mostly the cheapest Scott stuff from Sam's/Costco. Just fold it over a few times if that's your thing. Put a little extra water in the bowl and use about all you want. Which was SOP in our case.

Hey Kevin, you do know there is a cruise spare part kit for your VFs? No need to carry a second head......Still have a bucket ready, just in case!!

problem is I do not want to be fixiing one of these things during a cruise.
On my boat they are tucked in places you cannot work on them. The only way is to remove them if they dont work.

If i keep the vacuuflush ill be buying a spare vg2 complete generator. that way i can quickly swap out a defective one and service it later

Suit yourself by all means (can't have too many spares IMO, heck I had a full set including pump for my split systems, all of which are pristinely new to this day), but I am having a hard time envisioning your installation wherein it easier to pull the whole thing out, especially a VG2, and replace rather than repair such a simple system... plus there is so little to go wrong if used anywhere near properly...

Only one head on board?

Kevin,

I'm sort of in the same situation as you. Have 2 vacuflush systems that are 13 years old with little or no preventive maintenance and lesser quality poop hose. Decided to replace all the hose which cost a little over $300 for a roll of Tridents best. The rebuild kits for the 2 pumps was around $128 per pump for valves, new bellows, and o-rings.

Ran 50 gallons of water through each system and a little bleach in the water at the very end. With the fill water turned off, I ran each head dry for a few minutes. When I disassembled each system there was maybe a gallon of water to catch. Smell wasn't significant. Figure I will stock the parts for one toilet and service them as needed. Dealing with a pump problem was my biggest fear if the line was full of poop. If you throughly flush the system, it's really not bad to work on. Will probably repeat the process to change the valves every 2 years. Will likely stock a spare set (4) of valves and maybe 1 pump motor.

One modification I did to my system was to install a 1/4 turn PVC ball valve just after my pump so that I won't have to drain the lines going from the pump to the holding tank. In fact, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want that valve just after any head pump. Lot less mess potential when fixing a broken pump.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom