View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 AM   #11
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster_in_edmonds View Post
At a target of about $1,000 per foot you will be looking at boats built in the 1980s by and large. That target price will make it hard to find a boat in really good condition, but you never know. My biggest concern would be the quality of the build. I would look at Tollycraft and Uniflite from that era. Both well built boats.
Very correct: Uniflite in addition to Tollycraft was also an extremely well built boat. I owned a 1973... pict included. Problem was that Uni began using govt designed "fireproof" resin beginning mid 1974; due to Viet Nam contract for many thousands of Delta Patrol boats (same hull as the Uni I owned). So Uniflite began using the govt designed resin in all their boats. That eventually broke Uniflite because of a class action law suite regarding blisters. Uni's from mid 1974 onward experienced horrendous numbers of blisters in nearly all areas (hulls and topsides). It took several years for the blisters to appear from build date. Thousands of UNI owners sued.

Moral of the story... IMHO: Buy no Uni newer than early 1974 build date. Of course, If you find a newer one that does not have blister problem then that may be one of the few that did not have the govt resin used during build-out.

Happy Boat Shopping Daze!! - Art
Attached Thumbnails
101_0042.jpg  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote