can i convert port and starboard fiberglass water tanks 100 gal each to diesel fuel tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hvac

can i convert port and starboard fiberglass water tanks 100 gal each to diesel fuel tanks

please help with this I would like to convert glass water tanks and install new plastic tanks in place of steel fuel tanks for potable water.

RE: can i convert port and starboard fiberglass water tanks 100 gal each to diesel fuel tanks

HVAC:* Yes you can.* Passage Maker did an article in May 2008.

http://www.passagemaker.com/PassageMakerLinks/MyProfile/UserBlog/tabid/275/usrID/198/blogID/132/Default.aspx

http://tinyurl.com/23cketm

I'm sure you know you will have to add return lines and a whole host of other plumbing issues.*

What kind of boat are we talking about?* Are the steel tanks failing now? Sounds like a big project?

Good luck.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK 42
La Paz, BCS, MX

RE: can i convert port and starboard fiberglass water tanks 100 gal each to diesel fuel tanks

the boat is a 79 Pan Dynasty and the tanks have complete failure on top have already removed all fuel and in the process of removing by cutting them out this boat sat in a marina slip for 5 years and we have her in the yard trying to bring her back from the brink she has a great perkins 165 turbo that ran flawless for a 24 hour trip to the yard

I would not as the newer low sulfur diesel has damaged some fiber glass tanks.* Better and easier to just replace the old*steel diesel *tanks.

I have read that Biodiesel will also damage fiberglass tanks, a non issue unless it catches on in the future.
Steve W

I have read that Biodiesel will also damage fiberglass tanks,

a non issue unless it catches on in the future.

Not really , by Fed law THEY DON'T HAVE TO TELL YOU if the bio diesel is 5% or less.

This is just enough to scrub the inside of the tanks and fuel system.

Spare filter time!!

Phil Fill wrote:I would not as the newer low sulfur diesel has damaged some fiber glass tanks.

Would you care to share a source for that little gem?

FRP tanks have been used in industry for storage of all kinds of organic liquid*compounds for years - since the 1960s in fact. Yes, there are types of resins and glass that are better than others, but most will work quite fine. In older cheaply made FRP tanks diesel can weep or leak in*places water would not, especially around the tank fitting*connections.

Could you then convert your your old diesel tanks to water by inserting a rubber bladder? Rubber can leave a funny taste but for showers etc it should work great.

RickB wrote:Would you care to share a source for that little gem?
I'd like to know the source also.......

Thanks for the response I see it is about evenly split on the pro's and con's still have time to make a decision.

I have started the removal process for the rusted steel fuel tanks ( cutting them out ) but will go back in same location with new plastic water tanks.

"FRP tanks have been used in industry for storage of all kinds of organic liquid compounds for years - since the 1960s in fact. "

But the commercial built tanks ones were not cheap pollyester resin , they were either laminated with fuel resistant Epoxy or at least painted into mat (to obtain thickness) with fuel resistant resin.

There is also special resin should one need to hold potable water.

We have used bladder tanks for 3 decades on out 90/90.

The same tank with 2 bladders , so either 35G of fuel or water could be chosen.

Factory new the trick is a rinse with baking soda , no taste afterwards.

The commercial boat paint guys Sherwin Williams will have listings.

"I have started the removal process for the rusted steel fuel tanks ( cutting them out ) but will go back in same location with new plastic water tanks."

I believe you're making the right decision.

Just came on this discussion. We had to replace a 72 gallon diesel tank under the engine on a 42 Endeavor. We found a guy who manufactured custom tanks, and he used an epoxy approved for diesel. The tank was made up from flat sections of epoxy and glass that he made up on a steel table. The tank was excellent, and made to fit the space. Never a problem Rick

Back
Top Bottom