View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #35
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Boating Straight

Gonzo,Looks to me like you should cut off most or all the leading edge addition. You say it's steel.
When the boat's out just burn it off w OA cutting torch.
Another thought from my guest from Washington State (BYC) is to disconnect the ram rod end and push and pull the rudder horn thereby checking for lateral movement that would allow the rudder to move without a corresponding movement of the helm.

Anode,
I was told this also when I expressed my displeasure about the friction of the hyd steering. I bought the "Capilano" helm pump (much larger unit than my boat required) thinking that a large pump and large dia tubing would make for very light steering * * .....NOT so. Then they told me I needed copper tubing but I've talked to numerous others that say copper tubing is a maint nightmare. I think the reason the hyd steering has high friction is that all the seals exert significant pressure on the cylinder and rods. My larger components have larger area and bigger seals and hence more friction. If I had bought a system w small components my steering would have much lighter feel. By the way I didn't use marine hyd hose. I used large dia industrial hose * *...the kind found on equipment like back hoes and excavators. Shot myself in the foot but when I'm out on the outer coast in the nasty those big beefy steering components are a comforting thought.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote