Equipment You Hate Most

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Removing and replacing cooling system hoses, can be painful and bloody at times.

Replacing the Microphor Septic treatment systems submerged pump and float switch, which is located inside the pumpout tank!! :eek:

How do you get one of these?

Ya find a good one then marry her. Oh, and make sure she's kinda easy on the eyes when you're picking one and pick one that's low maintenance. We're boat owners and have enough maintenance stuff to worry about.
img_251883_0_f875b407cb54cee07377276fda4ea5aa.jpg

Yes.

img_251892_0_596194a0812644834abe960bd4ac9351.jpg

[B said:
makobuilders;251363]What piece of equipment do you hate the most on your boat or which is the most unreliable?
[B said:
[/B]

In regard to the most unreliable, I would have to say probably me.

Sometimes I work really well, and I have no complaints, then other times I really bugger things up, usually of an electrical origin.I am actually thinking of trading me in on a newer more improved model, but I'm not sure they make one any more, it seems I have been discontinued.

Andy - Yes - Many of the grand old classics have been discontinued. Perhaps you can be rebuild, if you can still get parts. It may not make it like new, but it will keep you chugging along for a while yet.

I'm having problems with the computer memory, and it seems parts are unavailable for that. It just means I have to backup often.

wow.. two pages and no rants about anybody's head's!

As a side note I love my vacuflush.. as long as it works

HOLLYWOOD

The majority of the complaints so far are not about the equipment, but where it is located. Newbies and boat shoppers please note! It does not necessarily have to be this way!

for several years my freshwater pressure pump used to regularly break down. After spending copious dollars on new ones, this year I replaced it with a twenty dollar chinese one plus I bought two back-ups - one a good one another a chinese one. Now that I have the backups, or maybe because I have the backups, the latest one refuses to break down.

for several years my freshwater pressure pump used to regularly break down. After spending copious dollars on new ones, this year I replaced it with a twenty dollar chinese one plus I bought two back-ups - one a good one another a chinese one. Now that I have the backups, or maybe because I have the backups, the latest one refuses to break down.

An example of Murphy's Law being beaten back. I would call the two spare pumps Murphy repellent. That dude refuses to show up when you are ready to receive him. :)

[B said:
makobuilders;251363]What piece of equipment do you hate the most on your boat or which is the most unreliable?
[B said:
[/B]

In regard to the most unreliable, I would have to say probably me.....I am actually thinking of trading me in on a newer more improved model, but I'm not sure they make one any more, it seems I have been discontinued.
Could be as simple as a fuel intake issue. Maximising the fuel/output ratio by accurate initial processing may help.:lol:

Agree with markpierce and GFC:

Attachments

• AfterLocks.jpg
    AfterLocks.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 67
Raw water impeller on the heads!

When I come across something I "hate" I usually begin a review of alternatives.

Replace it with a better gizmo, move the gizmo to provide better access, eliminate the gizmo if it's not critical anyway, develop better process and acquire specific tools to tackle the gizmo, know when to write a check to have somebody else deal with the damned gizmo, etc.

Here's an example where a possibly-simple replacement could eliminate all that angst: consider changing to a freshwater head.

No more raw water impeller. :)

-Chris

or have a cover charge at the rail...but like in the movies...there's always some that get in free depending what they are bringing to the party..:thumb:

All that would happen with a better class of friends is that you would run out of wine!

love hate relationship with the generator. The breaker on the generator tends to trip. Need to spend some time trouble shooting it. Most everything else is great. Though we are on our third subwoofer in a year and a half. Not sure how we keep killing them but anyway we are trying unplugging this one when not in use as maybe switching between power sources is blowing it out.

Sure there is a lot of stuff on the boat that is not perfect but we love the boat so we don't really mind the little things.

PG, have you tried a passive subwoofer? I have two passive subs on the two Bose Acoustimass 3-speaker systems we have onboard. (I think you were there in the Not-So-Secret Cove when I installed the second set.) One is positioned under the settee and one in the FB console. They have been flawless and, since they're passive, do not require electrical power to support them.

One of our better upgrades to replace "hated' equipment.

am3_bl_lg.jpg

Thanks Al I will suggest that to Matt.

I have a small Sony home theatre system - passive subwoofer like the one in the picture above plus 5 small speakers. Plays DVDs, CDs (not often anymore!), and has iPhone docking station - I use an old iPhone 3GS for music and Pandora.

I want to replace this refer someday. Has anyone tried the drawer units . I think I have a good space for drawer type.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 67
I haven't tried a drawer, but a friend had one on his Northern Marine that seemed to work well.

I went with one with the lowest operating current since I run off an inverter when unplugged. Korean Ewave, $149 at Home Depot, running fine after maybe 10 years. I have a small DC muffin fan that runs 24x7 venting the back. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406229391.013886.jpg

Back
Top Bottom