LP vs Electric anyone done a swap ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electro

Veteran Member
Im thinking of swapping out my electric stove top 4 burner princess and replacing it with LP, Has anyone else done the switch ?
got any pics tips tricks brands do's or don'ts ?

My boat came from the factory with a propane system so I didn't need to do a conversion.

My advice to you is to be sure you understand the ABYC standards for a propane system on a boat and follow them to the letter or make sure the person you hire to do it does the same. Make sure the stove and any other parts are intended for marine use and have an approval label.

Im thinking of swapping out my electric stove top 4 burner princess and replacing it with LP, Has anyone else done the switch ?

Yup- it was one of the first mods we did to the boat. It's really easy to do.

Out electric stove was a Seaward, and I simply sourced a propane version of the same stove, so the physical install was a snap. I then planned the routing of the propane line and electrical work for the solenoid switch, and put them in.

Total time was about 6 hours for the install.

I recommend you look at your stove and see if there is a propane version available. Get your supplies for the bottle install at an RV store.

Make sure the bottle is in a place where it can drain overboard if there is a leak.

got rid of my princess as it was trashed by PO.

Replaced with 3 burner Forcce 10 cooktop and toaster oven under on shelf.

Will replacetoaster with convection microwave when the other micro bites the dust.

Very happy and really no big deal if you have an outdoor place to store the tank. It just needs to be a minimum from openings and let propane gas drain overboard..like on a rail or afterdeck not near openings (ABYC).

Other than a continuous feed from electric solenoid at tank and switch/sniffer at stove it was a pretty simple install.

Do some reading on the web...I forget if it's Boatpoker or another surveyor that posts propane tips and diagrams on the web.

Yup- it was one of the first mods we did to the boat. It's really easy to do..

:thumb: We did the same within a month of buying a couple boats ago. We followed the guidelines and went through 2 surveys before we sold her with no issues. We bought a RV stove (don't remember the brand) and it worked great for us. We now have a 4 burner Force 10 on Hobo and it is a better quality built stove but was a lot more expensive. We now live-a-board, where before we didn't.

When we bought our Nova 14 years ago, we did just the opposite, got rid of the propane stove and went electric. Made the insurance company and the Sicilian happy.

Sweet ! Thanks guys.
I like to think im handy so Ill be attempting the install myself.

Does the LP bottle need to be fully exposed or only need to vent outside? Im thinking of stowing it inside and enclosing it in a water tight box with a vent line to outside ?
Ill do some googlefoo and see if I can find the ABYC rules and regs

Last edited:
Sweet ! Thanks guys.
I like to think im handy so Ill be attempting the install myself.

Does the LP bottle need to be fully exposed or only need to vent outside? Im thinking of stowing it inside and enclosing it in a water tight box with a vent line to outside ?
Ill do some googlefoo and see if I can find the ABCY rules and regs

This is one that I think is important for you to know the rule...and better than the next surveyor of your boat or any insurance adjuster.

There is a minimum distance from openings into the boat (20 inches) that the locker or pressure relief valve can be.

So the rub is...in the perfect world where you don't want a hose crossing decks to vent propane over the side below the bulwarks and not near an opening in the hull...can you locate all connections, overpressure valves, solenoids, etc...etc more than 20 inches from an opening?

At some point use a ruler and some common sense since the ABYC reg isn't "crystal clear" in my mind the way they phrase "drain" and "minimum distance" and "overboard" in relation to one another...sure individually is easy but the picture they paint could be more specific with examples that are OK and ones that aren't.

Agreed psneeld,
Im having trouble locating ABYC ruled regs codes.... Do you have a link?

Last edited:
When you get the cylinders properly installed , perhaps tossing the electric reefer would be next item to upgrade.

Our Propane RV unit is large! and uses a 20lb bottle each momth.

Lots better than genny time and hundreds of pounds of batteries.

ABYC is smoking crack if they think we should pay $55 bucks to download the "standards". Don't they know we are boat owners and don't have extra $ :rofl:

I thought this was a good read Safe Boat Propane System Installation

Im not ready to toss my AC/DC fridge yet. I have too much beer and Omaha steak being protected :D

Agreed psneeld,
Im having trouble locating ABYC ruled regs codes.... Do you have a link?

PM me an email and I'll send what I have that someone sent me (it's a pdf file)...if you haven't done this sort of thing...use the word "at" instead of "@" to make it work.

I would recommend making the switch, we love our LP thermador stove top (oven is electric). I think LP is overall better then electric and is safe when properly installed and handled.

How much have you used the boat in the manner which you will or do regularly use it? We found the genset was almost always on anyway during cooking hours, for battery charging, AC, (and in our case, clothes dryer, dishwasher even) other heavy uses so we just did everything at once. Plus we had a gas grill that ran off the little cylinders. Though Ann, a very avid and excellent cook, prefers gas cooking, we just never saw the ROI and after years of living aboard and many months away from the dock at anchor or on moorings never bothered making the switch. An inverter took care of refrigeration and microwave the rest of the time. I think we would look at induction if the cook top needed replacement; electric is much nicer for the oven. Another aspect to me is propane is another thing you are out seeking and schlepping for when in port, and loading on and off the dinghy when not using a dock.

You make some excellent points Caltexflanc.
My stove is gone and replaced with a microwave and my electric cook top is on its last legs... My 7kw Westerbek ? has a blown head gasket so Ive been toying with the idea of a full solar conversion for the little power I use. I mostly cook on the grill and I live alone. Being in Southern CA allows me to not really need hot water, heat or AC :)
SOOO If I did a LP cook top that would just be more KW I wont need.

When you get the cylinders properly installed , perhaps tossing the electric reefer would be next item to upgrade.

Our Propane RV unit is large! and uses a 20lb bottle each momth.

Lots better than genny time and hundreds of pounds of batteries.
I don't believe you'll find a propane refrigerator that's approved for use on a boat.

My stove is gone and replaced with a microwave and my electric cook top is on its last legs... My 7kw Westerbek ? has a blown head gasket so Ive been toying with the idea of a full solar conversion for the little power I use. I mostly cook on the grill and I live alone. Being in Southern CA allows me to not really need hot water, heat or AC :)

Well in that case...

Cal I was going to chime in with you until this post. Yes if solar and alternator then LP. If not we have had all and I can say the cooking AC power is all but free as it happens when the genset is doing it's thing. Not having the LP aboard is a nice plus.

I don't believe you'll find a propane refrigerator that's approved for use on a boat.

To get an approval costs thousands of dollars , for a small market.

How many folks are really anchor out 356 cruisers?

The Agencies offer guidelines for a good safe install of most any propane device.

With a bottle running a month , most cruisers would only be looking for a refill every 3-4 months , not bad vs 3 months of noisemaker and dead batts.

The real reason there are no propane refrigerators approved for use on a boat is not the cost of approval, it is that by their design they cannot meet the safety standards.

That said, there are no "boat police" to give tickets for unsafe appliances or installations so some folks go ahead and install unapproved appliances believing the risk is small. It's your choice.

If you need to have the boat surveyed for insurance or if you ever want to sell the boat, you'll probably have to remove the unapproved appliance and tanks, hoses, etc.

I went with propane (for cook top, but not oven), rather than electric, when I had my boat built. However, recognizing that many people have an aversion to propane, I had it wired for electric. If I were you, I would leave your wiring in place in case a future owner wants to switch back.

I would also strongly recommend that the line you use to conduct propane from the propane locker to your stove be made of copper, as it will be much less susceptible to chaffing and deterioration from age. And as was suggested above, make sure you get a safety kit with electric solenoid at the tank (ie, inside the propane locker) and a sniffer at the stove.

Lastly, you might consider burning CNG, rather than propane, as it is lighter than air and therefore much less prone to accumulation and explosion. The only downside, and the reason I didn't go with CNG is that CNG is not as readily available as propane, particularly outside of the US.

I have an RV propane fridge with 4 20# tanks under the flybridge in my 1983 trawler. Fridge has been installed for 20 years. Boat has been bought and sold 3 times since then and passed survey and insurance. Maybe it's just luck.

I'll probably go propane refrigerator when the time comes. My 50 year old boat is gas powered so by some folks estimation it's due to explode anyway.

After 2 boats with propane, we found that refilling/exchanging tanks was a PITA when cruising long distances. Usually needed a car rental just to refill the tank. We replaced our Princess with a ceramic top electric and the chief cook loves it. Cleans up in an instant, spills that harden can be removed with a razor scraper and the heat control is infinite and fast. You do need to run the genny and we don't mind that at all. Howard

I have an RV propane fridge with 4 20# tanks under the flybridge in my 1983 trawler. Fridge has been installed for 20 years. Boat has been bought and sold 3 times since then and passed survey and insurance. Maybe it's just luck.

Or maybe just three clueless surveyors ;)

The use of Propane on a vessel is like other religions , anchor choice , gas or diesel, or single vs twin.

The folks terrorized by gasoline or propane will always have too much fear to be comfortable on a boat with either installed.

However ALL the choices are valid , the question is what fits your Desirements.

I love propane , and fear those 15 lb watch fob anchors on 50 fters upwind!!

Talked with a friend today who owns a 42' OA. He was contemplating adding a inverter before he and his wife start on the loop this fall. The cost of the inverter was $2000.00 and change, the install cost was $8000.00 at Port Charles marina north of St. Louis. I told him $8000.00 would buy a lot of diesel fuel and I would leave everything as it is because he would be adding another system and the possible problems that may arise over time. Another plus no additional batteries to buy, lug around and maintain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom